Why become a member? ×

Musical Knowledge

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

If you're under 50 years old the Beatles wouldn't have had a hit in your lifetime. 

Paul McCartney is 80 next month. 

My parents weren't ever into them and we never had any albums in the house. My knowledge of Beatles tunes is limited to the hits. 

Same here. I'm 47 and the first time I remember hearing The Beatles was in Ferris Beuler's Day Off when I was about 13. I went out and bought Rock n Roll music volume 1 on vinyl because Twist and Shout totally blew me away in that film. I believe it was the first record I ever went out and bought. 

I grew to like a lot of the Beatles stuff over the years, but I always tended to listen to hits type albums than their actual album release. They did some great music. They also did some utter guff. Octopus's Garden springs to mind. 

12 minutes ago, TimR said:

If you're under 50 years old the Beatles wouldn't have had a hit in your lifetime. 

My parents weren't ever into them and we never had any albums in the house. My knowledge of Beatles tunes is limited to the hits. 

I was almost 11 by the time I "got into" pop music. The Beatles had split at least a year prior to that, and therefore for me were completely irrelevant since they weren't on TotP and only on the radio when "oldies" were being played. I quite liked Paul McCartney's rockier songs with Wings, but the others were producing nothing musical of any interest to me. I've grown to appreciate them since then, although there are plenty of 60s bands I like far more, but the only songs of theirs I know well are the Sgt Pepper album and their singles.

27 minutes ago, TimR said:

Plenty of under 50 year-olds were around in 1995

image.png

On 22/05/2022 at 08:47, Nail Soup said:

My class was 14/15 when John Lennon was killed. Our English teacher gave over the next lesson to John. We weren’t really sure who John Lennon was.

It must have been a big deal for the teacher though.

I was about 11 when my Mum told me that Lennon was dead, I was confused for a while as I thought Lenin had already been dead for some time...

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

I was about 11 when my Mum told me that Lennon was dead, I was confused for a while as I thought Lenin had already been dead for some time...

Fortunately for Lennon, he wasn't stuffed and put on display to the public.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Fortunately for Lennon, he wasn't stuffed and put on display to the public.

I've seen Lenin's embalmed corpse in the mausoleum in Red Square. TBH he looked less realistic than a waxwork (and may have well been for all I know).