Why become a member? ×

Musical Knowledge

9 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

My class was 14/15 when John Lennon was killed. Our English teacher gave over the next lesson to John. We weren’t really sure who John Lennon was.

That's hard to imagine.  Lennon was killed December 1980, so guess your class was born in 1965/66, when The Beatles were 

world famous and still had maybe 4 or 5 years left as a band. I was 4 or 5 when The Beatles first became famous, and remember

it all quite vividly. I guess by the end of the 60's and into the 70's the band maybe wasn't such a big deal as it had been for us?

I was about 6 years old when the Beatles became famous, and I first heard the news about John Lennon's death on the morning  of my 23rd birthday. I had never really like the Beatles, but they were impossible to ignore in the early 60s. It was definitely a shock when he was shot.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I was about 6 years old when the Beatles became famous, and I first heard the news about John Lennon's death on the morning  of my 23rd birthday. I had never really like the Beatles, but they were impossible to ignore in the early 60s. It was definitely a shock when he was shot.

This leads us neatly back to my original post regarding George Harrison!

3 hours ago, casapete said:

That's hard to imagine.  Lennon was killed December 1980, so guess your class was born in 1965/66, when The Beatles were 

world famous and still had maybe 4 or 5 years left as a band. I was 4 or 5 when The Beatles first became famous, and remember

it all quite vividly. I guess by the end of the 60's and into the 70's the band maybe wasn't such a big deal as it had been for us?

I think we knew the Beatles and some of their songs. But not so much the individual names and definitely not how important they were to people.

22 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I think we knew the Beatles and some of their songs. But not so much the individual names and definitely not how important they were to people.

Yes indeed. Paganini has rather sunk from view, too. How fickle folk are. :|

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes indeed. Paganini has rather sunk from view, too. How fickle folk are. :|

I discovered a couple of years ago that there is a plaque on the wall of a hotel in Shrewsbury commemorating Paganini performing there... 

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2022 at 08:47, Nail Soup said:

My class was 14/15 when John Lennon was killed. Our English teacher gave over the next lesson to John. We weren’t really sure who John Lennon was.

It must have been a big deal for the teacher though.

I don't really remember hearing about John Lennon being killed, but I remember hearing about Elvis dying, on the radio. 16/8/77, just a few days after my 3rd birthday.

55 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I don't really remember hearing about John Lennon being killed, but I remember hearing about Elvis dying, on the radio. 16/8/77, just a few days after my 3rd birthday.

I was driving back from my girlfriend’s house and heard the news about Elvis on Radio Luxembourg, who I think were the first station to broadcast it. Carried on listening to Elvis stuff on RL into the night  and I’m sure at one point they played ‘Got a lot o’ livin’ to do’ .......😆

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Yeah, I remember Elvis.

We were on a family holiday - one of those 'cruiser' boats on the Thames where you sleep on the boat.

We were moored up overnight my dad went to the shops in the morning to get a paper etc. The first thing he said, as soon as he was within earshot, was "Elvis is Dead".

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 11:58, Dom in Dorset said:

Some people in are shocked to hear that the song "A horse with no name" isn't by Neil Young and that George Harrison's "I got my mind set on you" is a cover.

According to the courts, so is "My Sweet Lord".

"Ironic" by Alanis Morissette doesn't contain any ironies.

If you're under 50 years old the Beatles wouldn't have had a hit in your lifetime. 

Paul McCartney is 80 next month. 

My parents weren't ever into them and we never had any albums in the house. My knowledge of Beatles tunes is limited to the hits.