Why become a member? ×

Musical Knowledge

Noticed 'This is Spinal Tap' was being repeated on the TV and realised I'd never watched it all the way through so recorded it. Sat down to watch it with Mrs YFS and after around 30 minutes she got up and left the room saying 'when it finishes I'll tell you something'....anyway after it finished I asked her what she wanted to say. She explained  she'd never got into metal as a teenager during the 60's and 70's and bands like Spinal Tap had passed her by( and she did not like that sort of music anyway). I gently explained it was all a spoof anyway!

Moving on to last night at rehearsal with current band. We were looking at 'Handle Me with Care' by the Travelling Wilburys as some low-hanging fruit for the festival set and got to discussing the members of said band. Someone mentioned George Harrison in connection with the Beatles, our bandleader said " You mean George Harrison was in the Beatles, I never knew that'? Mouths dropped.....!

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dom in Dorset said:

Not such a jaw dropper but Mrs in Dorset is a big  fan of both Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull...she had no idea that Tony Iommi was briefly in Tull.

Tony Iommi was in Tull? I never knew that!  (Actually I did as I'm a bit of a player geek)

My musical knowledge when it comes to bands is barely above zero. I think there's maybe two or three bands that i could name all the members, and maybe only about 30 where I could name more than a single member. 

I also couldn't name a single track by the vast majority of bands I hear mentioned on here regularly. 

On the other end of the scale. I can sing along with many songs word for word, but if you asked me who the artist was, I wouldn't have a single clue. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Noticed 'This is Spinal Tap' was being repeated on the TV and realised I'd never watched it all the way through so recorded it. Sat down to watch it with Mrs YFS and after around 30 minutes she got up and left the room saying 'when it finishes I'll tell you something'....anyway after it finished I asked her what she wanted to say. She explained  she'd never got into metal as a teenager during the 60's and 70's and bands like Spinal Tap had passed her by( and she did not like that sort of music anyway). I gently explained it was all a spoof anyway!

Moving on to last night at rehearsal with current band. We were looking at 'Handle Me with Care' by the Travelling Wilburys as some low-hanging fruit for the festival set and got to discussing the members of said band. Someone mentioned George Harrison in connection with the Beatles, our bandleader said " You mean George Harrison was in the Beatles, I never knew that'? Mouths dropped.....!

In 1987 after releasing 'I got my mind set on you', George Harrison received votes for Best Newcomer in the Smash Hits readers Poll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I'm still dining out on a story regarding a Sixth Form band argument way back in 1990 where my guitarist mate was being very pompous and telling me that "nobody can cover the Beatles". When I pushed him on the fact he knew nothing about the Beatles he got all defensive and said "I know about The Beatles... it's George Lennon and that!" 😸

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

My musical knowledge when it comes to bands is barely above zero. I think there's maybe two or three bands that i could name all the members, and maybe only about 30 where I could name more than a single member. 

I also couldn't name a single track by the vast majority of bands I hear mentioned on here regularly. 

On the other end of the scale. I can sing along with many songs word for word, but if you asked me who the artist was, I wouldn't have a single clue. 

Apart from the last line (I have no idea of the lyrics even of songs I actually like!) I could have written your post - people always assume that I'd be good at the popular music questions in quizzes, but I am completely clueless. I'm about as a far from being a music fan as it's possible to get. I love playing music, but very rarely listen to anything for simple pleasure. If there is music playing, I have to ignore it, or I'm trying to analyse what's each person is doing and why. I can't just 'listen'.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Some people in are shocked to hear that the song "A horse with no name" isn't by Neil Young and that George Harrison's "I got my mind set on you" is a cover.

Barry Manilow did not write 'I write the songs'.

• Like 1

I was working on a big show that the record company I worked for was recording/filming. Had a Brit School student with me doing work experience, so we went to watch the rehearsal. She said to me in the car on the way back to the office 'I didn't know Eric Clapton played guitar'.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dclaassen said:

Whitney Houston was not the first to sing "I Will Always Love You"...it was written about Porter Wagoner, By Dolly Parton

And wrote it the same day as Jolene. Pretty good day for her I'd say!

30 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

And wrote it the same day as Jolene. Pretty good day for her I'd say!

Def a good day at the office. 

Also from what I understand she wanted Elvis to sing it but as was customary for Elvis/Colonel Parker they wanted 50% of the publishing which she said no to.

2 hours ago, Dom in Dorset said:

Some people in are shocked to hear that the song "A horse with no name" isn't by Neil Young and that George Harrison's "I got my mind set on you" is a cover.

I did know the first, but did think it was Neil Young for a long time. The second one I did not know (nor the thing abut Tony Iommi being in JT).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I was working on a big show that the record company I worked for was recording/filming. Had a Brit School student with me doing work experience, so we went to watch the rehearsal. She said to me in the car on the way back to the office 'I didn't know Eric Clapton played guitar'.

I thought he played 'God'?

I did my school work experience in sound control in Newcastle along with my then best friend and the guitarist in my teenage school band. I was upstairs with the basses and he called up saying I had to come meet this guy he was talking to as he had the same bass as me. I walked downstairs to see him talking to Mark Knopfler. 

Guitarists man, oblivious. 

• Like 2

Here is another

Don't you forget about me, was not written by simple minds, but was infact written by Keith Forsey and steve schiff, who were writing music for

the 1985 film breakfast club, and there if you dig about you will find an original version.

also the song was also offered to billy idol and Bryan Ferry before simple minds did it,  bryan ferry said no as he was working on his boys and girls Lp

doww :facepalm:

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 3

A while back when I was lecturing, I'd ask students to bring in examples of what they considered good production, one lad brought in a well worked grimy/hip-hop version of Sgt Pepper, I'd never heard it before, it was interesting and well done. At the end of his presentation I jokingly commented, didn't the Beatles do a cover of that? He looked and me and said "who are the Beatles?".

Much hilarity ensued.

There's no reason that kid should have known who the Beatles were, half of them were dead before he knew what music was, the other half old or narrating Thomas the Tank Engine, but it made me smile. The music we revere is not the music everyone reveres.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

A while back when I was lecturing, I'd ask students to bring in examples of what they considered good production, one lad brought in a well worked grimy/hip-hop version of Sgt Pepper, I'd never heard it before, it was interesting and well done. At the end of his presentation I jokingly commented, didn't the Beatles do a cover of that? He looked and me and said "who are the Beatles?".

Much hilarity ensued.

There's no reason that kid should have known who the Beatles were, half of them were dead before he knew what music was, the other half old or narrating Thomas the Tank Engine, but it made me smile. The music we revere is not the music everyone reveres.

I work with a young lad who’d never heard of Freddie mercury, we couldn’t believe it until we worked out he’d died before the lad was born. 
we felt old… 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WinterMute said:

My class was 14/15 when John Lennon was killed. Our English teacher gave over the next lesson to John. We weren’t really sure who John Lennon was.

It must have been a big deal for the teacher though.

Edited by Nail Soup
Changed my age to class age

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

My class was 14/15 when John Lennon was killed. Our English teacher gave over the next lesson to John. We weren’t really sure who John Lennon was.

It must have been a big deal for the teacher though.

I was only 4/5 years older, and despite the fact that Beatles were "old hat" and had split a couple of years before I get interested in pop/rock music, I was very much aware of who he was even if I wasn't that interested in his music. I think back then when there was a lot less pop/rock available to hear, so it was much easier, if you were interested in music, to find about about musicians and bands that weren't necessarily "flavour of the month".