Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a 6 string bass?

lownote

Hi

Anyone got a steer on the best all round 6 string bass under say £500 secondhand? I have 3x experience of the Hohner B Bass VI but they come up rarely now and anyway, done that.  My only other dig so far was around the Cort A6 and I'm getting vibes early ones weren't as a good as the later ones. Any other suggestions from personal experience? Thanks 

*NOW SORTED TNX*

Edited by lownote

• lownote changed the title to Recommendations for a 6 string bass?

Any of the Soundgear 6s. They vary a lot in spec over the years and model tiers, but they all feel about the same.

The Cort A6s are nice but the electronics are a bit meh. Not horrible just nothing special. The older ones I've tried are fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazycloud said:

Any of the Soundgear 6s. They vary a lot in spec over the years and model tiers, but they all feel about the same.

The Cort A6s are nice but the electronics are a bit meh. Not horrible just nothing special. The older ones I've tried are fine.

So... I just bought an older Cort A6! Bridge looks a bit awkward but we'll see how we go.

Edited by lownote

• lownote changed the title to Recommendations for a 6 string bass?

@lownote - I've owned maybe 4 Cort A6 basses of various iterations including the one you've bought. Having owned almost all high end/boutique basses out there, I can say that these Cort A6 basses are not out of place among them in terms of quality. IMO theyre excellent value for money, built to a very high standard and punch well above their weight. Whenever anyone asks me about the best 'budget' 6er, the Cort A6 is the one I always recommend. 

An excellent purchase sir, I reckon you'll be very happy! 😁

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@binky_bass and other A6 gurus, how do you adjust the string height on the models with seperate string anchors and saddle units, please?  I can't show you pic because my card reader is bust, but each saddle is like a little grey slot-top dome on a lockable sliding shoe. Do the domes screw up and down to adjust height?  I can't see how I can lower most of them before they clout the bridge body but the string height this leaves me with is way high for me.

Edited by lownote

According to some other bass site, yes.

The barrels/domes DO screw up and down to allow height adjustment.

You'd hope they'd allow sufficient adjustment to permit correct string height for everything from a high C to the various designs of low B string on the market. 

Somewhat Similar designs are used on later Chapman Sticks and Vigier Series III with Kahler Bridges.

Some people don't like them as the grooves only align correctly once every 180° and that this limits the precision with which the height may be adjusted. 

Conversely,  it allows precise alignment for the angle of the string in the plane in which it nominally vibrates, and they're more impervious to unwanted sideways motion than BBOT Fender bridges or similar.

To adjust the bridge, slacken the string in question,  lift it gently clear of the slot, and screw it in or out to set the desired height. 

Note how many turns you made in case you wish to re-set it to its current state for any reason. 

Re-tune the string and I guess it's time to re-do the intonation...

Looks like there's a locking screw you loosen, slide the saddle by hand and re-tighten. 

The image I found wasn't that clear in this respect,  though. 

• Thanks 1

Update: now worked with this for some time. The bridge is very crude, imprecise and long winded to adjust. The range of string height adjustment available is between 2.5 + and 2mm. TBF that is Cort's recommended range for 'basses', but I like my high strings lower than that. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who successfully replaced this original bridge with something better. 

Edited by lownote

Options?

Bridge replacement, which may require that the recesses for the original be filled in.

Cut the string posts down- removing  material from the bottom to allow them to sit lower.

File the string slots deeper to the same effect.

Make / Have some shorter posts made.

If you've access to a brass rod, a hacksaw, some files, a vice and some taps/dies then it might be a DIY project.

I think I'd like the last option best,  as it's reversible if you keep the original components.

In any event,  its all a bit of a faff. Hope you manage to find a sensible solution.

(There's a guy on TB with the same issue- see if you can find the thread and see what he did..)

• Like 1