Why become a member? ×

c.1880 German 3/4 flatback - *SOLD*
£2500
LONDON

I bought this beauty from the forum 10 years ago. Lovely golden/honeyed colour, some long-since fixed cracks and the neck was reset before I owned it (original FS thread here, explaining provenance and luthier work carried out: 

Sounds deep, full and fantastic and is fitted with a David Gage Realist pickup and Thomastik Spirocore (medium gauge) strings.

Why sell? Well I got the opportunity to buy back my very first DB from Happy Jack which has big sentimental value, even if its a lower quality plywood Zeller, plus I barely ever gig DB these days, so my flatback has basically become a beautiful ornament requiring occasional dusting!

Collection only from SW13 London (Barnes) and priced more than fairly at £2500, which is £500 less than the £3k I paid a decade ago. I can supply a basic Hidersine gigbag (brand new replacement as mice ate my other one ....) or maybe you prefer to bring your own heavier duty gigbag to transport it?

20220518_090727.jpg

20220518_090932.jpg

20220518_090924.jpg

20220518_090902.jpg

20220518_090855.jpg

20220518_090841.jpg

20220518_090834.jpg

20220518_090753.jpg

20220518_090823.jpg

20220518_090811.jpg

20220518_090744.jpg

20220518_090736.jpg

20220518_090753.jpg

20220518_090740.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 5

• Clarky changed the title to c.1880 German 3/4 flatback

On request, more pics of the scroll. Its picked up lots of scrapes over its 140 year life but these are all superficial - and well-known luthier Malcolm Healey fixed the rattling E tuner referred to in the 2012 BC advert some 8/9 years ago.

20220518_150049.jpg

20220518_145649.jpg

20220518_145707.jpg

20220518_145700.jpg

20220518_145716.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Hi

Is it blockless or has it had a neck block fitted? 

Lovely looking bass in great condition as well. 

Cheers 

G

Hiya, I honestly do not know what a neck block is. Happy to take a load of pics if it helps answer the question?

7 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Hiya, I honestly do not know what a neck block is. Happy to take a load of pics if it helps answer the question?

No probs. 

Your bass has a "blockless form" (constructed using a guitar/lute construction method) - the bump on the top of the ribs closest to the neck heel gives it away. 

If you have a look inside up towards the neck joint and you see a large "block" of wood then it's been converted and strengthened to be a  "standard" strength neck joint. 

If when you look you see what's referred to as a "boot" - (basically the upper ribs tuck into the neck heel) then it's the original southern German/Tyrolean "blockless" style. 

Difficult to describe in words!... 

Lots of info online though. 

(one of my basses is still blockless and it's a superb instrument). 

Good luck with the sale. 

• Thanks 1

If I peer inside I can see a block of wood about (I guess) 4 inches wide where the body joins the neck. I tried taking photos (example attached) but these are not as clear as my vision. I assume that means it has been strengthened to "standard"? The former owner told me the neck had been reset so I guess that may have happened as part of the process.

20220520_164349.jpg

20220520_164401.jpg

I did indeed! I headed to London to try out a couple of different instruments, the first of which was a visit to @Clarkyto have a play with this one. I've been pondering on whether to go vintage or not, and very nearly left with it. If it hadn't been for the final bass I saw being the perfect fit for my needs, I would've headed back and taken this home! A glorious mellow tone and really easy to play. Thanks for making me feel very welcome!

Feel free to PM if anyone has any queries on this one too 👍

Edited by knicknack
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Clarky said:

I managed to take a pic with torch in hand of the inside where the neck joins. Can of you learned DB folks tell me if this is evidence of a neck block being added?

20220522_134853.jpg

Difficult to tell from the pic... Can't fully see the block area (I know, it's a real PITA to get camera access!) 

But I would say that it indeed has a block fitted, definitely doesn't look like the old "boot" style joint from what I can see. 

Although, the bracing planking looks original, which is strange as if a Luthier was converting from blockless bass to have a new neck block (a considerable job) then I would have thought he would have done the planking as well? 

Ultimately don't get too hung up about blockless v blocked construction... Providing there's no splits in the top shoulders, the button is intact, back hasn't pulled and the neck is stable with no movement then just keep playing it (if it hasn't failed in the last 100yrs it's unlikely to go now!) 

Yes, It is a more fragile/cheaper construction method, but no bass would survive abuse or a serious drop. 

Of course (like my blockless bass) it'll never be worth +£10,000 but for the price you're asking its an absolute bargain (blockless or not!) 😜 

And remember, more often that not they sound significantly bigger and better than "standard construction" basses costing twice the price. 

They don't call them "blockless wonders" for nothing. 

It's a lovely bass. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your comprehensive and extremely helpful answer! To the best of my knowledge (ie, eyes, hands and ears!) The neck has not budged an iota in my ten years of ownership.

Of course I would expect any serious potential buyer to come and try it out and they can then satisfy themself as to the construction, stability etc as well as playability and sound.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elle said:

Hi Clarky, please could I speak with you today about the  bass? Thanks Elle

I have a potential viewing on Thursday and also at weekend, so lets see how those go. I did see you posted on another DB 'for sale' ad, asking to borrow the bass for a teacher to check out for your son. To be honest, I would rather not let my bass leave from my house unless to a committed buyer.

Sorry I didn't see this reply. I'm definitely committed. My son is attending a Future Talent Course on Sunday at the Royal Academy, so it's an ideal time to come and look at it. I live in Wiltshire.

I almost definitely would like to buy the bass, but it would be good for George to try out. I can send you a vid of him playing if you are interested?

31 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Update: had viewing yesterday evening. The BCer concerned is sleeping on it and expects to come back to me with a yay or a nay at some point today

Good luck… hope it sells so I can stop looking at it and wondering what I could sell to raise the necessary 

Hi Clarky, I think I played this bass when I was at your house to buy the Kolstein Busetto travel bass from you a good few years ago. I remember it as being a very nice sounding bass that was easy to play. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Clarky said:

Hi there! Hope you are still gypsy jazzing away with that beautiful old Citroen 😀 I believe you did have a play on this bass! All the best, Clarky

Yes, I've still got the Citroën and still thumping away on the Swing and Hot Club scene. I'm on the train to the airport from Hilversum in The Netherlands, having just finished a few days work with Tim Kliphuis (violinist) and Nigel Clark (guitarist). Things are getting back to normal, it seems. Hope the bass sale goes well. I remember liking that bass a lot when I tried it. Not sure you'd had work done to it at that point, or if it was still fairly new to you at the time?

Edited by Lodekka
Grammar

• Clarky changed the title to c.1880 German 3/4 flatback *Sold*