Why become a member? ×

Help with recording web video content

Beedster

Folks, I needs to record some video content in which I need ideally to be able to show my computer screen while taking live (I'll be talking people through the use and interpretation of various psychometric measures). Given I'm also prone to error I will also need to be able to edit easily. I don't need my face to be on screen. I know there's loads of stuff online about doing this, but I'm up against some deadlines so trial and error plus wading through a lot of often PR/marketing-led opinion about best software/best methods etc hasn't worked well for me in the past. I'm using Mac, I have access to the Adobe suite and various audio platforms (Pro-Tools, Luna, etc).

Thoughts/advice/experience warmly received. 

Chris

Try to record in pro with, let's say focusrite audio interface, at that time take a video with Your mobile phone. Then choose some video/audio mixing program and mix Your audio with Your video. That's it. For me it works.

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 1

Thanks for the above guys, I'm going to look at Quicktime and OBS today. I''m certainly aiming to get the best voice quality possible so will be using my SM7B (which works for my speaking voice) and UAD audio hardware. I think there's the possibility that rather than record audio and video at the same time I will record the audio using a script and then record the video. I assume both will allow me to do this?

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Thanks for the above guys, I'm going to look at Quicktime and OBS today. I''m certainly aiming to get the best voice quality possible so will be using my SM7B (which works for my speaking voice) and UAD audio hardware. I think there's the possibility that rather than record audio and video at the same time I will record the audio using a script and then record the video. I assume both will allow me to do this?

No. OBS is a live broadcast software that will allow you to capture and transmit (or record) from a video and audio source. It would be perfect for your original query of live recording a screen while you narrate what you are doing "live". But it's not designed in any way for video editing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

If that's the case, use your audio app of choice to record the audio. Then use QuickTime Player to record the screen while the audio plays back. You may be able to add the audio directly to the QuickTime recording at this point depending on what audio sources QuickTime can see while doing this. If QuickTime can't directly pickup the audio playback you might want to look at Loopback from Rogue Amoeba to facilitate this. If that's not possible you can combine the two in any video editing app. 

• Like 1