Why become a member? ×

Revamping my longest serving instrument (not a bass)

Cat Burrito

I lucked out when I bought my mandolin some 15+ years ago. A mid range model that happened to be particularly well made. I've played the same model when others have had one and this one just lucked out when they selected the wood - all solid wood and a tone to die for. I was playing country type stuff on it with my fairly basic playing (theory being that as a bass player,  I could manage the transition to an instrument that has 4 string tunings too). Over lockdown I started mucking about with my old mate from Sixth Form playing 80s Alternative / Goth stuff on old folk instruments. My mandolin playing suddenly skyrocketed the second I stopped trying to play country style! I upgraded the tuners first. Then I flipped the knobs to wooden ones, changed the bridge cover to all black and it grew from there. I had some mandolin grommets shipped over from Nashville to deaden the sound of the strings behind the bridge and further worsened it's environmental footprint by getting an arm rest from India. Finally I got @TimAl to design a fantastic custom pickguard for me and a unique goth rock take on old folk! I think it has turned out pretty well and I look forward to taking it out locally across a few shows over the summer. I appreciate it's a bit niche for most of you but if you like looking at pretty instruments, fill your boots... (& yes the hard case further demonstrates my attention to the pose!)

IMG_5069.jpg.62cc4c9983a003b2763e5305d054e1be.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg.7ba64ba6cf3beeae3d384735053b9853.jpg

• Like 10

Looks smart! I really enjoy mandolin, though I tend towards more of a folky direction with it.

Oh, and about those grommets - are they any different from the ones from electronics suppliers? I've been using those (seen here on my cittern) and I've never been sure if "mandolin grommets" are just the same thing in a packet.

DSC_0528-1.JPG

Explain to me the grommets please. I play octave mandola (mandolin if you’re an American) but I have never heard of these and have no idea what they are supposed to do. I always thought going from mandolin to bass or vice versus was kind of strange, I only knew of Chris Hillman and Dave Pegg who did it.

46 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Explain to me the grommets please. I play octave mandola (mandolin if you’re an American) but I have never heard of these and have no idea what they are supposed to do. I always thought going from mandolin to bass or vice versus was kind of strange, I only knew of Chris Hillman and Dave Pegg who did it.

They just dampen the section of string behind the bridge that can otherwise ring annoyingly - especially noticeable recording with a close mic or amplified with a piezo pickup. On my mandolin I just have a strip of felt under the tailpiece cover to do the same job.

• Thanks 1

@Grahambythesea, I think that @Beer of the Bass explained it brilliantly. They were $3 on EBay and wow, do they sharpen up the tone. Coupled with the armrest (£13 on EBay) which keeps your arm off of the body, the thing sounds great. It went a bit quieter when I put them on but sounded more in tune but adding the armrest boasted the volume so I am at the same volume with a better sound.

I also have a bouzouki which I have tuned like a mandola. My singer plays a mandocello which is a contender for the nicest instrument I have seen or played (weird that he has the low end covered as a guitarist and I am playing the melodies as a bass player).  

• Like 1

That low-C mandocello range is fun to have, especially as it's a different sound to an open tuned guitar. I have my 10 string cittern (made by my classical guitar luthier brother) in unison CGDAD at the moment, so it's in mandocello/Irish bouzouki range.

DSC_0526.thumb.JPG.31a0bef8fed20015cc5781bbc5c8211a.JPG

And these are my two mandolins

DSC_0533.thumb.JPG.b609477fbd8f0ed3b1b53206ec52853c.JPG

The bowlback I've had since I was a teenager, it sounds sweet but I struggle with the tiny and V shaped neck. The other is a Sears catalogue model made by Harmony in Chicago, which is cheaply made, but the endearing, funky kind of cheap!

• Like 1