Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

One of the most irksome sounds in all music is that of the keyboards in van Halen 'songs', especially from the utterly dismal van Hagar era, not that any improvement would've made them more tolerable. I'm not a fan of EVH's guitar playing but cutting that back in favour of the keys was a bad move

My undoubtedly unpolular musical opinions...

Jaco was crap. That is to say he was an innovative player, who couldnt truly serve the song.

Gary Glitter had something seedy about him. Unpopular view at the time, but history peoved me right.

The Wombles mimed on TOTP.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clarky said:

OK, utter 💩 but its Friday night and I have nothing of value to say, and the use of multiple carriage returns seems popular

My opinion is that they're really annoying, and there's much better ways to accomplish the same thing.

Spoiler

Like this. And I shall also say that I like U2, Coldplay, and Nickelback, and dislike most Prince and Stevie Wonder, and I hate Le Freak.

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I hate Springsteen, all Prog Rock and anybody - however distantly - connected to Morris dancing. :/

I used to play in a ceilidh band with two Morris dancers, so it appears I am now in your bad books.

4 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Ok, ok, you've dragged it out of me...

I bought this...

image.png.3e975567ab4fbef496a4a3920e8d8a24.png

And NOT because I was a pathetic teenager who fancid Thereza Bazar, I actually quite liked some of their songs.

Happy now?   I've tried to keep that a secret you know?

😉

He liked the music do much  he bought the burger.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm not sure which I hate the most.

Morris dancing, or Morissey dancing. 

I watched the Lemonheads perform Mrs Robinson on TOTP yesterday.  The singer did the last verse in the style of This Charming Man.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I used to play in a ceilidh band with two Morris dancers, so it appears I am now in your bad books.

'Used to' because the Morris twins stole your bass, propositioned your girlfriend then drove back to Tunbridge Wells in your car?

We all live and learn my friend. 👍

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Van Morrison, he's quite popular I believe. 

I always thought he sounded like some drunk bloke singing in a pub (and still does). His voice really grates on me.

:D

He's dreadful, not to mention thoroughly unpleasant. But I'm from Merseyside and not much of a Beatles fan, so what the flip do I know?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

He's dreadful, not to mention thoroughly unpleasant. 

Many years ago, I heard the same from a chap who had been in Van Morrison's touring band, but they got their revenge.

VM had a rack for his harmonicas, and before each gig, members of the crew would take one, wipe their derrière with it, then replace it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to play with a guitarist who was in Van M's band - Van certainly wasn't popular the the musicians (un)fortunate enough to play with him! Love the harmonica story, not heard that before but I am inclined to believe it.

38 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Many years ago, I heard the same from a chap who had been in Van Morrison's touring band, but they got their revenge.

VM had a rack for his harmonicas, and before each gig, members of the crew would take one, wipe their derrière with it, then replace it.

Talk about hitting the brown note!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, steantval said:

I was really into all of the following in the 80’s, managed to see them all live in concerts.

Simply Red

INXS

Go West

The Christians

Terence Trent D’Arby

Nowt wrong with any of those in my book.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

The Wombles mimed on TOTP.

12 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Fretwork would have been difficult with those paws….

Mike Batt is a member of Mensa. He could have worked it out.

12 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

'Used to' because the Morris twins stole your bass, propositioned your girlfriend then drove back to Tunbridge Wells in your car?

We all live and learn my friend. 👍

No, but on my 50th birthday, when we played the Dudley Beer Festival, one of them (and my girlfriend at the time, now Mrs Zero) did grab me and badge me and silly string me and bewig me.

S6000955_shrunk.jpg.5718ef7a209136379db8bf1859c1de5c.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm not sure which I hate the most.

Morris dancing, or Morissey dancing. 

Most definitely Morissey (Steve) singing as well - I’m afraid it’s regularly utter unadulterated shite and that includes the lyrics - when I first heard this I thought it was a stream of consciousness but it seems to have actually been published (watch out for the lyrics that don’t scan properly in some places eg chorus - but that possibly doesn’t affect the song or singer that much 😂😂) - sorry but I never got The Smiths even though their guitar player seems ok (the music is chronically tinny as well). Song credited to Stephen (Steve) Morissey and Johnny Marr….. 

That (to many) kids paper (The NME) seems to have taken Morissey to their hearts following his long running (and published) correspondence with them in the 70s!! 

Give me Jaco any day - played great for the song (when it was actually a song) rather than a Weather Report extended jazz piece!!! For the naysayers have a listen to the album Hejira by Joni Mitchell.

Now for Morissey’s classic composition……

74549F7D-0B3D-4A40-AC5F-9E4EB0A02615.thumb.jpeg.82ebe3914c990cc8806a01318f41e48c.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray