Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

6 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'd go with the exact opposite. 

Without lyrics and a good vocal, music is utterly meaningless. 

Disagree - Drag Racer by Doug Wood Band means snooker.  Soul Limbo by Booker T and the M.G.'s [sic] means cricket etc. :)

EDIT - [sic] added before I get the apostrophe police come after me, it's a quote.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Unpopular indeed; I'll take Schubert's symphonies every time over his leider. :|

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah, sure -_- ...

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Unpopular indeed; I'll take Schubert's symphonies every time over his leider. :|

I've played 1,2,3,4,6 and 8 but only performed 3 and 8 in concerts. I think we're looking at 5 next week in my Monday orchestra. I' never sung any Schubert lieder - have sung some Brahms.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Classical, Jazz, Techno, Ambient, Dub, tribal drumming, (and many more) disagree. 

Instrumental music communicates emotions without directly telling you in lyrics 'I am sad/happy because...'   it's applicable to every human regardless of what languages they speak, it lets you use your imagination. It's instrumental music that makes me consider the philisophical question of why people enjoy music, whereas someone singing 'yeah, yeah, I love you baby, and I don't mean maybe' sort of de-values music. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The mini series Pistol (watched 3 episodes) has confirmed my long held belief: Malcolm McLaren could have got any 4 scruffy 'erberts together, told them to be angry and obnoxious, call them The Sex Pistols, and had success and notoriety.

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The mini series Pistol (watched 3 episodes) has confirmed my long held belief: Malcolm McLaren could have got any 4 scruffy 'erberts together, told them to be angry and obnoxious, call them The Sex Pistols, and had success and notoriety.

Maybe it's just telling the same story you already heard. 

The lyrics and playing on NMTB tell a different story.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Disagree as my thread about music not having to be in English to be good exemplifies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Possibly the other 3, but haven worked with John Lydon briefly in the mid 80s he had more about him than a scruffy 'erbert. You didn't catch his eye for very long. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I feel sorry for the other members of Lost Prophets and Glitter Band (assuming they are innocent). Their careers were destroyed by one band member. 

+ 1 here. Some time ago I heard the Beeb wouldn't play any GB songs because of the connection. I've got a hits comp and they had many good singles so it's pity they've been tarnished

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

'Enormous room'..... tiny audience....I paused on the audience shot to do a count. They look as if they're attending a physics lecture on particle polarisation., which would've been more my thing 😲

I hadn't noticed. I was listening to the music. :friends: