Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

14 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I know this is definitely an unpopular opinion although the industry stats bear it out... hip hop  / rap has been the dominant music genre of the last 30 years. And it's produced a helluva lot of great and good stuff. I tend to lean towards late 80s-90s stuff but also like Eminem, Jay Z and Drake. With his full band Jay-Z totally rocked Glastonbury 2008 and in doing so gave the middle finger to all the naysayers saying rap shouldn't be there.

Public Enemy with a live “Rock Band” was an absolute blast, one of the best gigs I’ve attended 

FWIW I think Chuck D has a fantastic voice for Rock. I should have a proper listen to the Prophets of Rage. 

• Like 2

Top 40 is a pile of pig dung.

Retarded background entertainment that makes a mockery out of the most advanced form of communication we humans were gifted with, a degenerate perversion.

And for the large majority of songs that makes that list it has actually always really been like that, though as of recent years it does seem like it is only getting worse.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That is not a controversial opinion.

It is my opinion that Youth of Killing Joke should be expelled from the band for his contribution to modern pop music as a producer. 

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Musical instruments that should be taken to the local recycling yard and chucked into skips are Hammond organs, flutes, tenor saxophones, harpsichords as well as previously mentioned accordians.

I've heard no music where the flute hasn't sounded sh**e, especially if it's played by hippies standing on one leg

Tenor saxes sound like elephants f@rt1ng in a train tunnel

Harpsichords only belong in the 18th century and should only be played by chaste young women in Jane Austen stories

Hammond organs have no place in a just world. Any song featuring one automatically qualifies as one of the worst songs ever made

Congratulations - that hopefully is a seriously unpopular opinion!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Musical instruments that should be taken to the local recycling yard and chucked into skips are Hammond organs, flutes, tenor saxophones, harpsichords as well as previously mentioned accordians.

I've heard no music where the flute hasn't sounded sh**e, especially if it's played by hippies standing on one leg

Tenor saxes sound like elephants f@rt1ng in a train tunnel

Harpsichords only belong in the 18th century and should only be played by chaste young women in Jane Austen stories

Hammond organs have no place in a just world. Any song featuring one automatically qualifies as one of the worst songs ever made

I like saxophones but the 1980s killed the instrument. 

6 hours ago, Bagman said:

FWIW I think Chuck D has a fantastic voice for Rock. I should have a proper listen to the Prophets of Rage. 

Don't get your hopes up too much. Chuck is great, better than Zach but the songs just sound like they were thrown together over a weekend. 

6 hours ago, Bagman said:

Public Enemy with a live “Rock Band” was an absolute blast, one of the best gigs I’ve attended 

Also saw them at Glasto in 2013 and bluddy great they were too. A few years later I took the missus to Download as she likes System of a Down who were headlining. By some miles the best band there was Prophets of Rage. They played a mix of RATM covers and own material. The album's good too. Well recommended.

26 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That is not a controversial opinion.

It is my opinion that Youth of Killing Joke should be expelled from the band for his contribution to modern pop music as a producer. 

What in particular? I take it you're not a fan of The Verve?  From me he gets a 👍 for founding Dragonfly records and kick-starting the psy trance scene.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I like saxophones but the 1980s killed the instrument. 

That was mainly the alto, which I'd thought about deserving to be put in the skip due to the obligatory solo on many a $h01t3 pop tune. But it's been a  fundamental part of the brass section behind many a great funk record so it shouldn't be.

6 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Went as a gang to see Gary Glitter at a club in Leicester around 1977, after our second year exams at uni (Lufbra). Brilliant show.

been to see the Glitter Band a couple of times in the last 15 years, memorable shows and yes they did all GG's big hits

14 hours ago, tauzero said:

On the more musical front, Gary Glitter was superb.

I don't think that's really an unpopular musical opinion. Just one that most people are afraid to voice.

Unfortunately the truth is that while the first four singles were glam pop genius, the rest of his musical output is filler or poorly conceived cover versions.

On 30/05/2022 at 23:11, Stub Mandrel said:

There's also this of course:

But I don't think there's actually a bad version out there...

1'3" in... I never knew David Tennent was in Jefferson Airplane. I mean, I know he played a time traveller, but that was just acting.

31 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

What in particular? I take it you're not a fan of The Verve?  From me he gets a 👍 for founding Dragonfly records and kick-starting the psy trance scene.

I'm very much not a fan of the Verve, or any britpop really. 

I'll be honest, I thought he produced a load of boy bands but it seems I may have been mistaken. 

He did produce Dido, Bananarama and James though who are all pretty terrible. 

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Retarded background entertainment that makes a mockery out of the most advanced form of communication we humans were gifted with, a degenerate perversion.

And for the large majority of songs that makes that list it has actually always really been like that, though as of recent years it does seem like it is only getting worse.

If you ever watch the TOTP repeats on a Friday night, you'll spend most of the time going "I don't remember that. Don't remember that. Or that. Nope, no idea". 

14 hours ago, tauzero said:

Headless basses are brilliant. Cut the weight by about a kilo, bass balances better, tuning is more stable, you don't put the headstock through the light fittings every time you take it on and off, and you only stick the end of it in the singer's ear if you really mean to. And they should have at least five strings, four strings are rubbish. The fact that Fender have never made a five-string headless bass is evidence that they are a really good idea.

I understand all the advantages, but they just don't... look right.

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hammond organs, flutes, tenor saxophones, harpsichords as well as previously mentioned accordians.

That sounds like a brilliant line-up. If I walked into a venue and saw that lot set up on stage I would be like WHOAH, this is going to be AWESOME.

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

So lucky they managed to reanimate one of the chaste young women to play the theme from Get Carter. So weird that she came back looking like Roy Budd.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I don't think that's really an unpopular musical opinion. Just one that most people are afraid to voice.

A guy I used to work with used to go and see Gary Glitter every Christmas when he played The Barras. He said it was fantastic and everyone loved it. Once the scandal came out everyone was scared to admit they liked him.

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In what may also be an unpopular opinion, I prefer Youth-era Killing Joke to any other.

Especially this:

I'm more of a Paul Raven era fan although Turn to Red is an exceptionally good tune.

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In what may also be an unpopular opinion, I prefer Youth-era Killing Joke to any other.

Especially this:

Having listened to a bit of that, it is my opinion that Youth should never have wasted his time being in Killing Joke, and should have just got on with producing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

Having listened to a bit of that, it is my opinion that Youth should never have wasted his time being in Killing Joke, and should have just got on with producing.

To be fair, I would do the same. My passion is rock and indie type music but if someone offered me the chance  to produce pop for some bimbo that would make me lots of money I would jump at the chance. Stock, Aitken and Waterman are most likely enjoying cocktails around their respective pools not giving a toss about selling their souls.

Interestingly enough I watched a video yesterday which shows how a moment of inspiration can go a long way towards making your life better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

To be fair, I would do the same. My passion is rock and indie type music but if someone offered me the chance  to produce pop for some bimbo that would make me lots of money I would jump at the chance. Stock, Aitken and Waterman are most likely enjoying cocktails around their respective pools not giving a toss about selling their souls.

I think I'd take the Killing Joke gig. Touring the world, playing to some of the most loyal audiences in metal and getting paid for it is more appealing than getting rich. I've never been motivated by money, if I was I wouldn't be an engineer. 

49 minutes ago, ubit said:

A guy I used to work with used to go and see Gary Glitter every Christmas when he played The Barras. He said it was fantastic and everyone loved it. Once the scandal came out everyone was scared to admit they liked him.

I knew a woman whose partner made a living as a Gary Glitter tribute... that career went west.