Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I'm not sure if this is strictly classified as a musical opinion, but I don't like headless basses or guitars. They just don't look right.

It's a musical opinion, but hardly unpopular 🤨

• Like 1

Headless basses are brilliant. Cut the weight by about a kilo, bass balances better, tuning is more stable, you don't put the headstock through the light fittings every time you take it on and off, and you only stick the end of it in the singer's ear if you really mean to. And they should have at least five strings, four strings are rubbish. The fact that Fender have never made a five-string headless bass is evidence that they are a really good idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I love the bagpipes. They stir your soul. Men have followed them into battle being given heart by their sound. New York policemen get buried to the sound of them. They can be soulful and sad or hearty and cheery. Opinions.

I agree.  I always get emotional listening to bagpipes, especially when watching repeats of 'Carry On Up The Khyber'

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

They are to basses what Centre Point is to architecture i.e. supposedly modern and cutting edge but actually an eyesore

I actually think they’re ok , cool in a retro style 

On 31/05/2022 at 18:58, jezzaboy said:

I couldn`t give a toss who Carly Simon is singing about in the song "Your so vain."

The song that contains more than its fair share of crimes against the rhyme (apricot and gavotte to name just one).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

People like Jacob Collier are bad for music.

There isn’t a bass solo in existence that wouldn’t sound better played on another instrument.

The best bass sound ever is on ‘Superman’ by Black Lace.

41 minutes ago, Heathy said:

People like Jacob Collier are bad for music.

There isn’t a bass solo in existence that wouldn’t sound better played on another instrument.

The best bass sound ever is on ‘Superman’ by Black Lace.

Who are these other people like Jacob Collier, apart from his siblings?

7 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Who are these other people like Jacob Collier, apart from his siblings?

My parents neighbour who is a music teacher loves Jacob Collier. He also likes Airborne which I feel is the musical opposite, dirty, simple, loud, entertaining and fun.

Musical instruments that should be taken to the local recycling yard and chucked into skips are Hammond organs, flutes, tenor saxophones, harpsichords as well as previously mentioned accordians.

I've heard no music where the flute hasn't sounded sh**e, especially if it's played by hippies standing on one leg

Tenor saxes sound like elephants f@rt1ng in a train tunnel

Harpsichords only belong in the 18th century and should only be played by chaste young women in Jane Austen stories

Hammond organs have no place in a just world. Any song featuring one automatically qualifies as one of the worst songs ever made

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Musical instruments that should be taken to the local recycling yard and chucked into skips are Hammond organs, flutes, tenor saxophones, harpsichords as well as previously mentioned accordians.

I've heard no music where the flute hasn't sounded sh**e, especially if it's played by hippies standing on one leg

Tenor saxes sound like elephants f@rt1ng in a train tunnel

Harpsichords only belong in the 18th century and should only be played by chaste young women in Jane Austen stories

Hammond organs have no place in a just world. Any song featuring one automatically qualifies as one of the worst songs ever made

My avatar is me playing my tenor sax... which isn't purple, that's just some of my photo editing. I have a baritone sax... Harpsichords - depends on the instrument: the mid C20th created these cast iron framed monstrosities. Works as a continuo instrument, fair to say more challenging as a solo instrument (depending as I said on the instrument). I'd agree that I'm not a big fan of the Hammond sound. Flutes depend on who's playing them, but it's not my favourite instrument for sure. A nice baroque wooden flute is kinder to the ears

Edited by zbd1960

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I love the bagpipes. They stir your soul. Men have followed them into battle being given heart by their sound. New York policemen get buried to the sound of them. They can be soulful and sad or hearty and cheery. Opinions.

To be fair, If I was in a trench and heard a bagpipe it would terrify me, you would think. if they can inflict that on their own WTF will they do to me if they catch me?

But joking aside, the bravery to go over the top with bagpipes, knowing the positive difference it will make, and knowing you will be target number 1 is beyond belief. I could never have enough respect for those brave lads who did that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I couldn`t give a toss who Carly Simon is singing about in the song "Your so vain."

But the bass tone on that open air concert is to die for. It was actually Klaus Voorman - the best bass player in the Beatles (if you want another unpopular opinion).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

To be fair, If I was in a trench and heard a bagpipe it would terrify me, you would think. if they can inflict that on their own WTF will they do to me if they catch me?

But joking aside, the bravery to go over the top with bagpipes, knowing the positive difference it will make, and knowing you will be target number 1 is beyond belief. I could never have enough respect for those brave lads who did that.

https://www.historynet.com/ladies-from-hell-bagpipers-led-the-charge-during-wwi/

https://www.history.co.uk/article/the-bagpiper-of-d-day

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1