Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah it's definitely not a range thing. His voice has a richness and a tone and timbre which is absolutely superb (although granted, subjective, when you start taking about tone). 

On the other side of the coin, you have people like Adele, who has a huge range, and can undoubtedly hit all the right notes, but it's like nails on a chalk board. Kind of like playing a flute solo on bagpipes. The notes might be there, but it sounds bloody horrible! 

It's the same with Frank Sinatra. He didn't have a particularly huge range but the quality and richness of his voice was what made him a superstar.

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

It's the same with Frank Sinatra. He didn't have a particularly huge range but the quality and richness of his voice was what made him a superstar.

He bores me and My Way is tedious (apart from Sid's version)

18 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

He bores me and My Way is tedious (apart from Sid's version)

He was responsible for stoner metal though so he's alright. Using the mafia to stop any rock concerts in Palm Springs forced them to have parties in the desert using generators and boom, stoner metal was born

• Like 1

Just now, Newfoundfreedom said:

My wife is a massive fan. I don't get it myself. Very mediocre to my ear. Maybe you had to be there at the time. Apart from hearing The Reflex when I was about 8, I was largely unaware of their existence until we met. 

I was there.  They have a sound of their own & once you start listening to them more, they really grow on you.

• Like 1

Just now, xgsjx said:

I've never listened to that album for years.  Just popping it on now.  😏

Prepare to be amazed. Andy Taylor's guitar work is marvellous throughout, but the runs on the outro of Go My Own Way are stellar. JT's bass playing is just brilliant on every track.

• Like 1

Just now, xgsjx said:

I was there.  They have a sound of their own & once you start listening to them more, they really grow on you.

They never grew on me. I've been with my wife for 20 years and it's all she ever bloody plays. 

In fairness. I quite liked "Astronaut" after it got stuck in the car CD player for a while. But not to the point I'd actively seek it out. Everything else is just a bit meh. 

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

It's better than people who say "Anything".

Arguably!

I enjoy finding music for folks who come to my house who say they like anything...

I usually put something like this on, just to see the look of horror:

Those same folks wouldn't then reply "Anything" when I say "What would you like to eat then?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Arguably!

I enjoy finding music for folks who come to my house who say they like anything...

Those same folks wouldn't then reply "Anything" when I say "What would you like to eat then?"

The music of Conlon Nancarrow for player piano works well too

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

It's better than people who say "Anything".

Well that would be me then... ;)

After close to 30 years in the music business, there's nothing that I wouldn't listen to at least once. Twice is a different matter of course, but then I already said that some time ago.

There do seem to be a few ghetto dwellers around these parts. I can't think why anyone who thinks of him/herself as a musician would refuse to listen to something they haven't heard before sight unseen (so to speak), whatever the genre. Call me {insert vaguely offensive adjective here} if you must, but it's an attitude I simply don't understand.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

After close to 30 years in the music business, there's nothing that I wouldn't listen to at least once. Twice is a different matter of course, but then I already said that some time ago.

There do seem to be a few ghetto dwellers around these parts. I can't think why anyone who thinks of him/herself as a musician would refuse to listen to something they haven't heard before sight unseen (so to speak), whatever the genre. Call me {insert vaguely offensive adjective here} if you must, but it's an attitude I simply don't understand.

Yeah I totally get that point of view. But I don't listen to music because I'm a musician (barely). I hate to listen to anything with the musical analysis part of brain engaged. That just ruins it for me. It's like watching a magic trick when you know how it's done. I listen to music purely for my own pleasure, and in that respect, there's definitely a lot it I don't like. Or, at the very least, genres that I much prefer. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Arguably!

I'd like to have been able to watch it long enough to see them get to the bridge.....

Then all jump off. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Buddster said:

After watching 20 secs of that video

Next time you'll grimace your way through 30 seconds... Soon you'll have to listen to 45seconds until you buy one of their albums.

Then everything else will start to sound twee and tame and you'll look for more Brotzmann, perhaps discovering Derek Bailey and Zorn's Naked Eye.

Before long you won't be able to play any normal songs without frightening your band mates with loud unexpected dischords and high speed chromatic runs while playing The Final Countdown...

I know, cos that's what happened to me!

😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, leftybassman392 said:

I was really not referring to people such as how you describe yourself. Open-mindedness is great.

It's just the answer "Anything" is uninformative (doesn't give you any idea of what their listening is), and usually inaccurate (as you say, you don't listen to some stuff twice).

BTW I'm not a ghetto a dweller.... I listen to a wide range of music. For example the albums I bunged on my MP3 today are : DakhaBakha (Ukrainian folk) Naomi Bedford (English Folk), F**8 Buttons (Electronica), and The Fall (Post-punk) Gang of Four (post punk) and ALbertine Sarges (Indie) , Lorelle Meets the Obsolete (Pyche).

• Like 1