Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

2 hours ago, thodrik said:

I prefer the Load era Metallica albums to anything that has come since, mostly because I liked the slightly bluesier, alt-rock mixed with Sabbath and Skynyrd style and with less thrash metal. Granted a lot of the songs are generic but some of the tracks are very listenable mainstream rock.

I find the thrash stuff unlistenable and MoP's rep as the greatest metal album ever puzzles me, then again there aren't many contenders TBH. Load and Reload are better as they do largely do away with rote guitar solos and keep things shortish but really they should've just put the best 10 tracks on one album.

On 22/05/2022 at 18:18, xgsjx said:

People who dislike slap bass only do so because they’re crap at playing slap bass. 

With a raised hand and a bowed head, I ask for mercy in The Court of Basschat. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Well, since the OP asked, here's my unpopular musical opinion:

Everything about Jacob Collier makes me want to go and live in an isolation tank.

Is it an unpopular opinion that a lot of people, like me, had to google who that was and still have no clue?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spoombung said:

I'm quite amazed how much 'much-loved' music I dislike. Listing it here would be utterly pointless.

Pointless, as that would not be an unpopular opinion for the purpose of this thread!

Viz what I said about Britpop I don't include the stuff that broke ranks with the typical Britpop updated 60s English sound. Never had any time for Blur's first 4 albums but when they went grungy on the fifth, that's another thing. Song 2's a blast. 13 and Think Tank are pretty good too.

And another thing.

I love rock music but I am so bored of unimaginative bands. It just puts me off when I see the very standard set up of Les Paul's through Marshalls and a Fender Precision. You just know you're going to hear the same old recycled Zeppelin & Sabbath riffs and solos made up of standard blues licks. You know the lead guitarist is going to make those faces every time he hits a high note. You know the bassist will remain completely static on stage and sound exactly the same through every song. 

It's just boring and it's been done a million times before and it's got to stop. There's so many options for guitars, basses and amps, don't try to be a bargain basement guns n roses because they already exist and we don't need a crappy version in the corner of the Lamb & Flag on a Saturday night.

• Like 3

On 26/05/2022 at 06:15, Newfoundfreedom said:

Going back a few posts. I've always found Elvis's voice extremely mediocre. That's why there are so many Elvis impersonators around. Anyone can sing like Elvis.

I've never heard anyone do a decent reproduction of Orbison. He was far, far better than Elvis. 

I agree. In terms of vocal range I'm pretty sure he's no better than a lot of modern pop singers who struggle to cover more than a fifth. As a base level, a competent singer would usually have a range of about 2 octaves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zbd1960 said:

I agree. In terms of vocal range I'm pretty sure he's no better than a lot of modern pop singers who struggle to cover more than a fifth. As a base level, a competent singer would usually have a range of about 2 octaves. 

Yeah it's definitely not a range thing. His voice has a richness and a tone and timbre which is absolutely superb (although granted, subjective, when you start taking about tone). 

On the other side of the coin, you have people like Adele, who has a huge range, and can undoubtedly hit all the right notes, but it's like nails on a chalk board. Kind of like playing a flute solo on bagpipes. The notes might be there, but it sounds bloody horrible! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I never listened to Metallica again after hearing St Anger. They absolutely peaked at The Black Album, then fell off a precipice. 

I didn't even like the Black album. Maybe I should give it another go as I haven't heard it in years, apart from the obvious couple of songs. If I remember correctly there was a song on it called 'Shapeshift', or that may have been the chorus. I used to sing 'Sheep $hit' to it.

16 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

His voice has a richness

In what may be an unpopular opinion, I can't be doing with Roy Orbison. His mouth's weird and just a bit creepy.

And I don't like decade-based music - never trust anyone who, when asked what music they like, says "80s".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

In what may be an unpopular opinion, I can't be doing with Roy Orbison. His mouth's weird and just a bit creepy.

And I don't like decade-based music - never trust anyone who, when asked what music they like, says "80s".

Exactly!

- You like 80s music? What sort of thing? Fun Boy Three? Flock of Seagulls? Duran Duran? Heaven 17?

- No, The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, Iron Maiden, Pixies, Stone Roses...

• Like 2

As an aside on Roy Orbison, I once recorded few tracks for an album with a tribute/impersonator. His voice was just the same, but he was also dressed exactly the same, sunglasses, haircut, bootlace tie, the works. Even the mannerisms. It was rather spookey. 

23 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I didn't even like the Black album. Maybe I should give it another go as I haven't heard it in years, apart from the obvious couple of songs. If I remember correctly there was a song on it called 'Shapeshift', or that may have been the chorus. I used to sing 'Sheep $hit' to it.

The track's called "Of Wolf and Man". 😉

Black Sabbath's "Never Say Die" is a great album.

AC/DC's "Fly On The Wall" is a great album. 

Jaco Pastrami or whatever his name is sounds like overrated self indulgent fart-like noise made worse by playing a Jazz bass made even worse by it being fretless.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bleat said:

Jaco Pastrami or whatever his name is sounds like overrated self indulgent fart-like noise made worse by playing a Jazz bass made even worse by it being fretless.

Absolutely agree. I don't get it at all. 

• Like 1

One would expect, on a bass site, that there would be some degree of veneration of acknowledged bass innovators...

Which is why it's surprising that I can put forward the unpopular opinion:

I like Jaco Pastorius *

*At least with Weather Report. And on that album with Birelli Lagrene. But not his overblown and wet solo stuff.