Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

On 24/05/2022 at 13:41, Vin Venal said:

Eg - old instruments which sound super warm and organic - that's because a load of high frequencies are being attenuated, you could get the same results with a modern sounding bright instrument and a good enough EQ

The 57-60 Les Pauls really created this one. However it is nothing to do with the age, the wood, it is the alnico pickups that slowly lost some of the initial magnetism giving a sweeter sound than a new humbucker.

• Like 1

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

(PS, Mr Brightside is the modern day equivalent)

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

(PS, Mr Brightside is the modern day equivalent)

You could probably include Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs in that

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Would it be an unpopular opinion to say that commercial country music blows? Possibly not

Assuming that blows means the same as sucks then you could leave out 'country' from that statement and still be correct.

5 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Assuming that blows means the same as sucks then you could leave out 'country' from that statement and still be correct.

I think commercial country music is a particular type of terrible with not a single acceptable song.

Commercial rock has the odd good song and all pop is commercial by definition but theres the odd acceptable song.

11 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Wonderwall. F@@king Wonderwall

Nope. 'Don't look back in anger'. Lagered lads singing "So-oooo Sally can wait, she sumfink or other, mutter mutter [cue: gap while waiting for the bit they know], but don't look back in anger, I 'eard you say'. While waving a can

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes indeed fkin Wonderwall, chant along dreck for football fans, which leads me to ShBritpop, a low in pop music history if ever, partly due it's association with Tony Bliar and that pathetic Cool Britannia schlock . Pulp were good and Jarvis is a top geezer but the rest of it was unmitigated c@ck. If I ever wanted to be American it was then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yes indeed fkin Wonderwall, chant along dreck for football fans, which leads me to ShBritpop, a low in pop music history if ever, partly due it's association with Tony Bliar and that pathetic Cool Britannia schlock . Pulp were good and Jarvis is a top geezer but the rest of it was unmitigated c@ck. If I ever wanted to be American it was then.

Elastica and Echobelly were good.

I really like Phil Collins, even his work on the Brother Bear movie. 

I prefer the Load era Metallica albums to anything that has come since, mostly because I liked the slightly bluesier, alt-rock mixed with Sabbath and Skynyrd style and with less thrash metal. Granted a lot of the songs are generic but some of the tracks are very listenable mainstream rock.

I also really like the 1980s Fleetwood Mac albums when Buckingham and Nicks openly hated each other but seemed to keep on going purely for the money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Elastica = Wire plagiarism plus noxious Justine Frischmann 

Echobelly - 1 good song and a cute frontwoman.

As a fan of Wire's early albums I fully concur there. Not an original idea in JF's head. Sonya Madan was the only reason I had any interest in Echobelly too.