Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

to borrow a quote from one of our American friends, re Elvis (Presley), you had to be there, most of us, even on Basschat, are too young, shame about all those awful films though.

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

To be clear, I like both Elvis P & C. It's not all gold and some of the former's is risible tripe (not unlike a certain band who he inspired), but Presley's voice is amazing, not unlike Roy Orbison's. However, Mr McManus' voice is another thing altogether (he had great taste in backing musicians though).

EDIT: I feel an early EC* listening session coming on.

* Not not that one, this one...

image.png.a479553d0921c8002b331e5e9b7b8d90.png

Edited by ezbass

2 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

I just don't click with Bowie.

I can see how he was innovative with his use of characters etc. but I always feel the music is meh. 

Also the only proper screaming roe me and my other half ever had was about the stone roses. I just didnt get them, I've warmed to then a little over the years but still, meh.

Viz Bowie I really can't see what the fuss was all about re the albums from Hunky Dory to Diamond Dogs.  Station to Station still sounds great though and by a zillion miles it's his best album. Looking at the album sales data on Wiki I'm surprised to see how many of his albums only went gold, particularly in the US, while none went multi-platinum in the UK . His sales tally isn't bad but by supposed superstar status they're modest compared to e.g. Garth Brooks, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Madonna..

As for the Stone Roses supposedly classic/iconic debut album, it's ok but nothing special. It's just like someone took a bunch of 60s tracks by the likes of The Byrds and attached a groove 

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

CA59215D-8871-48F3-A26E-BF832CBFD2E6.png

Pretty difficult to judge music from another era entirely. When the world was listening to Vera Lynn and Doris Day he must have been astonishing.

I was born in '46 so I grew up when all this was going on and I remember all these songs being on the radio when I was about 8 or 10 and Elvis really was something big. The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan was quite the show but when Elvis made his first appearance a few years earlier it was truly the start of a revolution. Lots of controversy and camera shots from the hips up only so as not to show those sexy gyrations. I remember seeing that show on our black and white TV. 

Of course I was in Canada and looking back it was really a remarkable era in North America for music as the new "rock" took over the radio waves and I'm glad I was there, not glad to be so old, but glad I was around for the experience. As said above, "you had to be there".😊

BTW, over here no one had even heard of Cliff Richards in those days although he did have a few hits later on, very soft rock and a lot of people here would not know who he is or know his music.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

+ 1 here. I really don't like his tone, nor Elvises' (both) for that matter. 

Whilst I understand people not liking these voices, for me both Presley’s and Orbison’s are those 

which were intrinsic in my early appreciation of popular music. Sure, both recorded some stuff

which wasn’t that memorable, but also recorded definitive songs of the 20th century.

Elvis Costello’s voice is probably even more ‘Marmite’, and many didn’t like his almost 

sneering style. Strangely I was immediately drawn to it on that first album with it’s

standout track ‘Alison’. Top fella too. 🙂

Unpopular opinions? OK......

Miles Davis' electric period is better than his acoustic stuff. It's all great but beaches Brew and Tutu are better than Kind of Blue.

John Entwistle is the most overrated bass player ever. Bassist of the Millennium? Not by a long shot.

There....I said it.

• Like 2

Here's a less negative unpopular opinion:

Fat Mike from NOFX is a decent bassist. I don't get why he has a reputation for being a bit rubbish. 

And another thing. Matt Freeman from Rancid is one of the best bassists of all time.

• Like 1

I was "down the pub" with my other half to meet up with one Jim Lea, ex of Slade; just before the lockdowns started.

At one point she took great pleasure in telling him that I thought The Beatles are over-rated. The withering look I got off him is imprinted in my memory forever.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m the opposite, I don’t like the music but I like the films, I also like the cliff richard films, I think something is wrong with me 😁

I'll see your Elvis and Cliff films and raise you that I think it's a shame Shakin' Stevens didn't take the plunge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I'll see your Elvis and Cliff films and raise you that I think it's a shame Shakin' Stevens didn't take the plunge.

I’d definitely go and see a shakin stevens film (I’m not doing my street cred any good here am I) 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Elvis Costello’s voice is probably even more ‘Marmite’, and many didn’t like his almost 

sneering style. Strangely I was immediately drawn to it on that first album with it’s

standout track ‘Alison’. Top fella too. 🙂

And he wrote Shipbuilding, Robert Wyatt's version of which is possibly the best piece of recorded popular music ever. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rich said:

And he wrote Shipbuilding, Robert Wyatt's version of which is possibly the best piece of recorded popular music ever. 

Ironic that he also appears on Soft Machines THIRD, a wonderful album  but possibly one of the most inaccessible ever  not withstanding Metal Machine Music and Zero Tolerance for Silence.