Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Tom Waits 

Leonard Cohen 

Nick Cave 

Shane MacGowan

All superb and Lyrically wonderful. Guaranteed to clear a party in seconds (apart from fairy tale of new york - the pogues lovecats….)

If that's the playlist then feel free to invite me next time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

After 31 years, Ten by Pearl Jam is a very good album.

Sorry, wrong thread?

Only wrong thread if you think not many people will agree with you. Personally I have no idea how popular/credible Pearl Jam are/were.

10 hours ago, xgsjx said:

After 31 years, Ten by Pearl Jam is a very good album.

Sorry, wrong thread?

What a debut! They’ve never bettered it IMO. I was listening to the radio yesterday and Yellow Leadbetter came on, great track. I was then informed that it was a leftover from the Ten sessions, no wonder it’s so good too.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Despite being more than a little interested in "Gothic" music in most of its forms, I do not like anything that Nick Cave has produced, and think that as a songwriter he is vastly over-rated.

I never really saw Nick Cave as a goth. Id put him closer to Tom Waits in terms of theatre and character driven prose. I like plenty of goth music, if taken with a heavy dose of irony as it’s all fairly ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Tom Waits 

Leonard Cohen 

Nick Cave 

Shane MacGowan

All superb and Lyrically wonderful. Guaranteed to clear a party in seconds (apart from fairy tale of new york - the pogues lovecats….)

I was at a festival a number of years ago and Grinderman was playing. I met a local guy later who said Nick cave was shite wasn't he? I was like, I loved them. Then he said but Paulo Nutini was great and I said I thought he was shite. Just goes to show, tastes and all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Despite being more than a little interested in "Gothic" music in most of its forms, I do not like anything that Nick Cave has produced, and think that as a songwriter he is vastly over-rated.

This is what I mean. I love everything he has done. I mean who can't appreciate the genius of these lyrics?

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

Yellow Leadbetter. 

.Same as Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird. 

Written by guitarists to enjoy themselves to while everyone else has to stand around being board. 

(disclaimer, may not have been written guitarist, i have no interest) 

Edited by Buddster

7 hours ago, ezbass said:

What a debut! They’ve bettered it IMO. I was listening to the radio yesterday and Yellow Leadbetter came on, great track. I was then informed that it was a leftover from the Ten sessions, no wonder it’s so good too.

2 hours ago, Buddster said:

Written by guitarists to enjoy themselves to while everyone else has to stand around being board. 

Yep written by Mike McCready as a bit of a Hendrix freak out.

Personally I find it’s one of their weaker songs from their early days - Eddie’s lyrics and warbling just feels a bit 6th Form College singer to me.

There we go, that can be my unpopular opinion :)

• Like 1

The Stone Roses debut album is one of the greatest albums ever made.

I'm also of the opinion that somehow, they massively fluked it as they were rubbish live and never repeated that initial magic.

I have no idea how this is possible. 

• Like 2

Here’s a possibly unpopular musical opinion…. I don’t know how true it is & it’s not my opinion, but it is “an opinion”.

People who dislike slap bass only do so because they’re crap at playing slap bass. 

Me…. I like a bit of tastefully done slap bass. 

• Like 4

On 21/05/2022 at 12:42, lowdown said:

Van Morrison, he's quite popular I believe. 

I always thought he sounded like some drunk bloke singing in a pub (and still does). His voice really grates on me.

:D

One of my previous employers had a rep who covered Northern Ireland, good old Nigel. He stayed in one of the better area`s of the country and Van also had a pad there. Nige told me Van was the most unpleasant person he had ever met. 

And a crap singer to boot!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buddster said:

I would argue that both would fill the dance floor, and Freebird is a great way to burn 20 minutes of the last set. Maybe you just have to be a Redneck to appreciate…

39 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I would argue that both would fill the dance floor. . . .

They do.

I played a duo gig last night, in central London. Just me and a singing guitarist. Our audience was 200 or so happy, legless Sunderland fans!! We played Sweet Home Alabama and they all joined in, we had to go around the whole thing twice. After that they were putty in our hands! Same with No Woman No Cry, Brown Eyed Girl and all the Elvis songs we played.

We were entertainers for the night and it was a good job done. . . . for them and for us.

• Like 3