Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

I cannot stand anything by the Beatles. I realise I am in the minority but I just found all of their songs to be turgid and boring. I detest the song American Pie . I visibly  shiver when it comes on anywhere. Dire Straits early material is excellent but they turned into something I hate. Money for Nothing and Walk of Life are dreadful, although I do concede that video juke boxes in the 90's are probably to blame for this.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 3

ELO. Can't stand their pompous over-produced Beatles-influenced music yet I seem to be in a tiny minority on BC, where adulation seems to be order of the day whenever the name comes up. 

Bah humbug, waves stick etc

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

To OP:

@Mykesbass, this thread can contain stuff you actually like that you suspect others might not. Is that correct? o.O

Tried that early on in this thread with flamenco guitarist Vicente Amigo, who I absolutely adore, but fell on stony ground!!! A diss-fest is always likely to get more traction.

Also, a band I really like, who do not seem to get the BC thumbs up, are Uncle Tupelo, alt-country rockers who eventually spawned Wilco and Son Volt.

Edited by Clarky

2 minutes ago, Clarky said:

A diss-fest is always likely to get more traction.

...which I suspect says more about us as musicians than we might like. :/

Everybody's entitled to their opinion of course (and like everybody else here I have a list of things I don't want to hear any more of), but if I wanted a checklist of stuff people hate I would spend my time on soshul meeja.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

...which I suspect says more about us as musicians than we might like. :/

I never critique other people's music from the point of view of a musician. I'm nowhere near qualified. 

I'd even go as far as to say, every single one of the bands or musicians I don't like are probably far more talented than I'll ever be*. So my opinions are purely based on personal taste as a listener. 

(* Except those bloody Bulgarian clarinet players. They need beating to death with their own instruments) 😆

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

To OP:

@Mykesbass, this thread can contain stuff you actually like that you suspect others might not. Is that correct? o.O

Yup, hence my earlier comment re: quite liking (some of) Phil Collins' solo output. Yes, I really do.

And for me, Dancing Queen is THE perfect pop song. Superb bassline too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really, realy dislike Frank Zappa.

And I went off Foo Fighters very quickly.  Some decent tunes, but a wash of hi-hat in absolutely bloody everything...  He's supposed to be a good drummer??! 

Jazz-funk and Bass players obsession with this genre. 

It's usually Bass playing for Bass playing sake - I'm more interested in music and the song as a whole, and the message it has, than someone's ability to 16th note their fingers to a pink paste.

Vulfpeck and Snarky Puppy can also get in the bin. Smug, gurning , jazz-funk, that's been already been done, 40-50 years ago. I can't abide these bands.

Ahhhh - that's better! :)

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

ELO. Can't stand their pompous over-produced Beatles-influenced music yet I seem to be in a tiny minority on BC, where adulation seems to be order of the day whenever the name comes up. 

Bah humbug, waves stick etc

+ 1 here. One band who are sure have me diving for the off button every time one of their cod-orchestral, twee bits of sub-Beatles pap comes on the radio. Truly 'kin awful load of old tosh. Think i've just come off the fence there.

Just heard a truly dire effort on Planet Rock by the terrible Europe called Cherokee. This is one example why a. bands named after US states, cities, continents and countries are uniformly sh01te; b. bands with songs about native Americans are equally so and c. bands named after places that sing about Pawnees, Apaches, Huron etc are quadruply so.

On the positive side, I think Coldplay have made some great music and are really great live; Stone Temple Pilots are not only the best of the Grunge era bands but one of the 5 best US bands full stop; I really enjoy 'Moves like Jagger' ; Pendulum were another great live band and their first two albums are 5 star drum n ' bass/rock crossovers; Saturday Night Fever is the best movie soundtrack ever. Finally, the 70s disco era not only produced some classic music but produced the largest number of great basslines of any genre.

Edited by Barking Spiders

Little Feat may be one of the best bands ever...

If Slash impressed BB King, that's good enough for me...

Linda Ronstadt was a musical force of nature...

I can listen to Lyle Lovett and his Large Band for a very long time...

If he had lived longer, Buddy Holly would have been the King of Rock 'n Roll...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Tried that early on in this thread with flamenco guitarist Vicente Amigo, who I absolutely adore, but fell on stony ground!!! A diss-fest is always likely to get more traction.

Vincente Amigo is great but possibly a bit niche even for guitarchat …

Queen are/were the worst band on the planet. Bohemian Rhapsody is also the worst song ever.

Britpop was the lowest point in musical output and culture in the UK. 

Despite being Scottish, I utterly despise bagpipes and pipe bands.

All of these opinions have caused friends to shout at me. xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Slash is most definitely not a guitar great. He's a capable rock guitar player no more, no less. He hasn't revolutionised guitar playing but has merely continued what many others were doing before him. And he doesn't even have a signature sound. Anyone who thinks he is a great is 100% wrong

Maybe so, but he iconic though.

2 minutes ago, grapefruitmoon said:

Queen are/were the worst band on the planet. Bohemian Rhapsody is also the worst song ever.

Britpop was the lowest point in musical output and culture in the UK. 

All of these opinions have caused friends to shout at me. xD

I agree with all of the above, except, oddly enough, the line about bagpipes. They have their place (usually somewhere far away), but I can remember a lone piper on the isle of Lindisfarne - the melancholy sound of the instrument suited the environment perfectly. 

I have also had the slightly unusual (certainly unusual in Oxfordshire) of having a Scottish piper in full regalia join my blues band on stage for a couple of numbers - it wasn't anything like as discordant as you might expect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

Jazz-funk and Bass players obsession with this genre. 

It's usually Bass playing for Bass playing sake - I'm more interested in music and the song as a whole, and the message it has, than someone's ability to 16th note their fingers to a pink paste.

Vulpeck and Snarky Puppy can also get in the bin. Smug, gurning jazz funk, that's been already been done 40-50 years ago. I can't watch these bands.

Ahhhh - that's better!

Why do You think it can not be done for 200 years? I like it much more better than those awfull cover/lounge songs played in big shops. 40 songs in 12 hours - all the same, feels like one guy with a synthesizer and pc has made them all. I am listening to them each working day and i really hate them.

33 minutes ago, grapefruitmoon said:

I'd agree about the pipe bands/pipe light music; horribly cheesy and boring IMO. Particularly "Highland Cathedral".
However, I like Ceol Mor. This opinion seems to be an unpopular one even amongst pipe fans. I found that playing it would result not only in the usual bagpipe "humour" but also requests for "something with a tune".