Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

That man might've been me. I'll happily defend FoS till the cows come home them having made 3 seminal  pop singles of the 80s. An easy target for many but they had more memorable tunes than the entire NWOBHM scene which was around at the same time

If that man was you, and you bought a £5.99 FoS compilation from a record shop on Harborne High Street, Birmingham around 1996 then I owe you an apology and a beer. (But i don't agree with you about NWoBHM, but I guess that's what this thread is all about.)

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1

Dissing NWOBHM?

Surely everyone remembers the classic 'Angel Witch' by ermmm 'Angel Witch' with the unforgettable chorus: "You're an angel witch, you're an angel witch
You're an angel witch, you're an angel witch"

Or the classic 'Name, rank and serial number' by Fist*

* cough, I have this on vinyl somewhere in my mother's house

9 hours ago, rushbo said:

But i don't agree with you about NWoBHM, but I guess that's what this thread is all about.)

It sure is! One thing in favour of NWoBHM is at least it wasn't what was going on the other side of the Atlantic, i.e. hair/glam metal and the FM/stadium rock of Boston, Journey etc.  Iron Maiden started out quite well but rapidly went downhill after they got in Brue Dickinson and his cod-operatic warbling and at the same time swapping the punkier vibe for a proggier one.  

7 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Nina Simone. In particular that "I got my arms, got my legs, got my spleen, got my kidneys, got my Islets of Langerhans, got my glomerulus..." song

You’re not alone, other than My Baby Just Cares For Me (great bass line), she’s not for me either.

My personal unpopular opinion concerns certain bands from the ‘60s, again not for me. However, when I express these opinions, folk (of a certain age) really get bent out shape and start telling me how I’m wrong. I’m not, it’s my opinion about an art form, it’s one of the few opinions a person is really allowed to have, as it is neither right nor wrong, it’s about art and it’s personal. To be clear, I’m very aware of how these bands changed popular music and culture and I don’t dispute that at all, in fact, I grew up in the ‘60s, so I was there when it was happening. I just don’t think these band’s output was all solid gold and it hasn’t aged well - in my (unpopular) opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cetera said:

I love the sound of bagpipes (played well), particularly if the sound is floating across a valley/loch or the Edinburgh skyline.....

I remember the first time I heard a band of pipers approaching in an outdoor setting; just amazing. However, just like poor intonation on a violin, a badly played/tuned set of pipes is a horrible, horrible thing. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Boodang said:

Phil Collins in Brand X, yes, but please don't say you like his solo stuff!!

Yes, some of it I do (as well as Brand X). See, that's an opinion that's unpopular with you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Nina Simone. In particular that "I got my arms, got my legs, got my spleen, got my kidneys, got my Islets of Langerhans, got my glomerulus..." song

Although I can thoroughly recommend (for those who like a quirky musically-related read) 'Nina Simon's Gum', authored by Bad Seed, Warren Ellis. It is literally about a piece of her chewing gum but an engaging read. Believe it or not!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nina-Simones-Gum-Memoir-Things/dp/0571365639/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

• Like 1

Slash is most definitely not a guitar great. He's a capable rock guitar player no more, no less. He hasn't revolutionised guitar playing but has merely continued what many others were doing before him. And he doesn't even have a signature sound. Anyone who thinks he is a great is 100% wrong

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, cetera said:

Van Halen (DLR era) could have made one good double album out of all their material. Too many cover versions and average songs on overly short albums.

I'll raise you one CD. And Van Hagar couldn't even put all their good tracks onto an EP, no let's make that a '45.

• Confused 1

I hate Bulgarian music. Which is unfortunate because I live in Bulgaria. It seems to me to be like traditional Greek music on speed. Usually with a clarinet shoehorning about 40 notes into every beat. Or even worse, a keyboard on clarinet setting. It's just a horrible cacophony of disjointed noise. Usually accompanied by a woman wailing as if she's just lost her nearest and dearest. 

It's almost as bad as jazz.

Almost!

• Haha 3

I dislike almost anything that was recorded in a recording studio. I consider recording studios sterile places in which people try to make perfect music. I don't think that music needs to be perfect - it's the human touches that make it interesting. Recording studios are places where music goes to die.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I hate Bulgarian music. Which is unfortunate because I live in Bulgaria. It seems to me to be like traditional Greek music on speed. Usually with a clarinet shoehorning about 40 notes into every beat. Or even worse, a keyboard on clarinet setting. It's just a horrible cacophony of disjointed noise. Usually accompanied by a woman wailing as if she's just lost her nearest and dearest. 

It's almost as bad as jazz.

Almost!

You got no love for Bulgarian female voice choirs then?🙃 I lived in Croatia for 3 years and can categorically state their pop music is utter pants.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'll raise you one CD. And Van Hagar couldn't even put all their good tracks onto an EP, no let's make that a '45.

I mean basically one could taken the first album and add the better tracks from the other five and these would fit onto a 70 minute CD or double vinyl I guess

I haven't read through every post so apologies if they have been mentioned but I hate the negativity towards Nickelback. I think they are a really good rock band and when we went to see them they were excellent and the sound was out of this world. I have seen many more "credible" bands who have been poor live.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I dislike almost anything that was recorded in a recording studio. I consider recording studios sterile places in which people try to make perfect music. I don't think that music needs to be perfect - it's the human touches that make it interesting. Recording studios are places where music goes to die.

Damn! I wish I hadn't just spent £500 on a recording interface now. 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Damn! I wish I hadn't just spent £500 on a recording interface now. 😆

It's all just opinions - they are very similar to the output end of the human body's digestive system - everyone has one and everyone else's stinks!

I doubt that any recording studios will close down because I don't care for their output.

Edited by FinnDave
typo
  • Haha 1