Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

2 hours ago, Rich said:

And the punters, bless 'em, don't they just love it? Guaranteed floor filler.

Exactly. Mustang Sally is a good song. I wish I could write a song that was still being played 57 years later on, and will probably still be doing the rounds in another 57 years (Nuclear holocaust allowing)

• Like 1

1. Most British pop music is impossible to like, or even listen to...sorry, Heart radio

2. Slappers/tappers/harmonics guys are just abusing a perfectly good bass

3. The longer we go, historically, with rock music, the more pretentious it gets

4. It is okay to love simple music

5. The best songwriters write country music

6. Ron Carter may be the best bassist ever, period. 

7. Stanley Clarke is 100x more musical than Jaco. 

8. Only jazz musicians think it is okay to have 5 people listen to you try to sound like Miles Davis, and fail. Bebop is really boring unless you are a genius (and most of you really are not)

:)

• Like 2

On 17/05/2022 at 22:02, Maude said:

I don't really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented but tedious to listen to. 

I do love a good pop tune though. 

Maybe I shouldn't be here? 😁

On 18/05/2022 at 09:08, BassTractor said:

Unpopular?
I really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented and great to listen to.
😉

Yes, my previously thought unpopular opinion has turned out to be very rather popular. 

You win 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The current (BBC) trend of combining popular performers with Orchestras. What is that about? So many of the songs rely on their simplicity to be effective but adding an Orchestra seems to be an attempt to 'posh up' songs, but for whom?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

I quite like them too. And Phil Collins. 

I used to despise Phil Collins, but my attitude towards him has softened in recent years and I don't even change the station when he comes on the radio nowadays. Coldplay on the other hand...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes, my previously thought unpopular opinion has turned out to be very rather popular. 

You win 😁

I was only noticing a pattern in the thread and kidding about it. 🙂
(In real life, Jaco and Stanley once paved my way towards jazz and the bass, and I know zilch about Wooten and Miller.)

Not related to the above, and pointed out by others already, if someone likes music you don't like, then that is NOT necessarily only a reflection of their terrible personality traits. It might be a reflection of many things, like their reference frames, musical development, social circles and tastes.

I believe it's a good idea to never forget the standard distribution curve (Gauss curve), which has a remarkable tendency to pop up when you do statistics stuff, almost as if things are quite accidental ...

Edited by BassTractor

4 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Exactly. Mustang Sally is a good song. I wish I could write a song that was still being played 57 years later on, and will probably still be doing the rounds in another 57 years (Nuclear holocaust allowing)

I think Mustang Sally will be the cockroach of the music world and survive even the Nuclear holocaust .

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Am I the only one who really has absolutley no feelings for Queen? 97% of their output just passes by me.

Also.. Fleetwood Mac. Why are they constanly touted as some great rock band. It's all MOR AOR to me.

Both of these bands are beyond bland - I have no idea what the 3% of Queen's output you find OK could be - but I haven't made a practice of listening to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bach is boring. Why does everyone insist on learning Bach? I would not want to play it to demonstrate that I can play it, because if I find it boring why would I make you listen to it? There's lots of people playing it so go ahead and listen to it. Or learn it...for what end? To write something that sounds like Bach? Boring.

But I like Handel. And Copeland. Wow. Makes me weep. Stravinsky. Holst.

Can't stand the Eagles. Jackson Browne. Gack. But I love CSN&Y (especially Y) and Joni Mitchell and Carol King. But not Neil Sedeka. Ouch.

Love the Beach Boys. Can't stand the Beatles except for "the white album".

Tech bassists leave me flat. Give me a groove bassist with a drummer.

Oy.

11 hours ago, rushbo said:

This x 1000

Here’s a true story:

A guy comes into my record shop and pre-orders a CD. Not a new one – a cheap re-issue. He’s super-excited. On the day of it's release, he’s outside the store when I arrive, almost hyperventilating with excitement. I open up and dutifully trudge to the back of the store (slightly peeved that this guy has delayed my morning coffee by 10 minutes) to retrieve his disc. He rips off the cellophane. His hands are trembling. And then he bursts into tears. Unselfconsciously, a grown man is so happy to purchase this music that he is weeping in front of a sales assistant. Being an Englishman, I have NO CLUE what to do in this situation, so I go to the other end of the counter and avoid eye contact while he gets it out of his system. Eventually (10-15 minutes later) he is composed enough to pay me and leave.

The music that reduced him to tears was... 

‘The Very Best of a Flock of Seagulls’.

I have sold thousands of releases by ‘Good’ artists - everyone from Nick Drake to Radiohead, from Bach to Coltrane, but the only person who ever wept for joy on purchasing a recording was the guy who bought ‘The Very Best of a Flock of Seagulls’. I dare you to tell him he's wrong.

That man might've been me. I'll happily defend FoS till the cows come home them having made 3 seminal  pop singles of the 80s. An easy target for many but they had more memorable tunes than the entire NWOBHM scene which was around at the same time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marky L said:

Am I the only one who really has absolutley no feelings for Queen? 97% of their output just passes by me.

I knew I had an unpopular opinion on something, thanks for reminding me what it is! Trouble is, you won’t get far criticising them in this country, as their position is deeply entrenched by long-standing constitutional convention. 

Well now that I’m here:

Tina Turner should have been a jazz singer. 

I know Christian McBride and Esperanza Spalding are both prodigiously talented and highly acclaimed, but I’ve always struggled to really like their music. 

Accordions are brilliant. 

I’ll stop now. 

• Like 1