Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

27 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Basschat seems to have lots of folks who can neither cope with jazz,  slap or too many notes bass... Here's a bit of all those 😁

Busted string, and no spare..? Amateur..! :lol:

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Basschat seems to have lots of folks who can neither cope with jazz,  slap or too many notes bass... Here's a bit of all those 😁

Not something I would want to listen to, but I do love the external control box on the guitar synth.

Also shows that latency of the original roland guitar synths wasn't an issue!

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think exactly the same thing about Bob Dylan and Prince

Bob Dylan is an excellent songwriter, but every cover of any of his songs is always better than the original.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Not something I would want to listen to, but I do love the external control box on the guitar synth.

Also shows that latency of the original roland guitar synths wasn't an issue!

He gets around the latency problem by using sounds with a very slow attack, ones that are doubled up with the processed guitar sound, and by playing in the upper register where pitch detection is much faster.

26 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

He gets around the latency problem by using sounds with a very slow attack, ones that are doubled up with the processed guitar sound, and by playing in the upper register where pitch detection is much faster.

Latency is an inherent part of many instruments (most typically : wind...), and is dealt with, usually, by anticipating the 'beat'. Summoning a large gong is an extreme example; one does not just 'bang' it; it has to be prepared. Experience helps.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

He doesn't need to as the original roland guitar synths didn't do pitch detection at all, it uses the original waveform, much like the current SY series.

I'm great at upsetting my band members with my unpopular opinions :) . You should have seen my current band's faces when I said I can't stand musical theatre. Previously it's been the Beatles, Eric Clapton and many others. I'm happy enough playing them and I'll pretty much always go along with the majority opinion but other musicians seem to be amazed I don't share their tastes. I'm baffled why I'm supposed to like everything they do. 

I don't understand the hatred for Coldplay. Is that controversial? 

• Haha 1

Unpopular music opinions? Where do I start.  Firstly, Bob Dylan's original all along the watchtower is so much better than Hendrix'.  

second, bass solos and bass noodling are a waste of time. Jim Rodford's line on Hold your head up is as near to perfection as any bassline could come.  

and finally, amy whinehouse was just shite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

Unpopular music opinions? Where do I start.  Firstly, Bob Dylan's original all along the watchtower is so much better than Hendrix'.  

second, bass solos and bass noodling are a waste of time. Jim Rodford's line on Hold your head up is as near to perfection as any bassline could come.  

and finally, amy whinehouse was just shite.

Bass solo is noodling if it's just a 5 minute slap or 1 chord trilling, listen to to Gary Willis or Jaco bass solos and stay clear.

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Bob Dylan is an excellent songwriter, but every cover of any of his songs is always better than the original.

I think Dylan is more than a good songwriter.

I like him as a singer and his musical arrangements are good too.

There have been plenty of great covers, that much I do  agree with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nail Soup said:

I think Dylan is more than a good songwriter.

I like him as a singer and his musical arrangements are good too.

There have been plenty of great covers, that much I do  agree with.

Covers can always be better than originals, that's the plan their made for. If the cover is bad, don't listen to it more than once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

He doesn't need to as the original roland guitar synths didn't do pitch detection at all, it uses the original waveform, much like the current SY series.

Actually you are mistaken. All the early Roland guitar synths - the original GR500 and the subsequent GR100 and GR300 (one of which is being used in the video) used a mixture of pitch detection to drive the synthesiser sections (or out put CVs and Gates) and basic audio processing - mostly polyphonic distortion, EQ and auto filter - and very little like the complex signal processing/modelling that goes in on in the current V and SY devices.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Actually you are mistaken. 

You are of course right, but due to the fact the whole processing is analogue, the latency isn't the same sort of thing as on modern systems.

And the polyphonic distortion, first time I heard that on the GR300 I was in love. I would probably still buy one if one was around!

Beatles, Coldplay, anyone who sounds like a pig stuck in a drainpipe, Foos output of late, most rappers, nearly all Jazz can get in the sea.

I do quite like Nickleback though...

Edited by WinterMute
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Ay caramba. I should've known better but Ive just played that vid. Now it's gonna give me nightmares

• Like 1

Unpopular on a Bass site:

Rush, they really were the sh*ts, the REO Speedwagon of PROG Nonsense 

Kiss , pantomime rubbish from deeply unlikeable people

Mudvayne(?) apparently been around for 20 years only heard them a few months back. It’s like they merged the 2 bands listed above😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Probably way too many to detail, but...

British blues that started in the 60s, it really makes me cringe. I think it's awful... Clapton, Green, Mayall and all the rest that followed. Howling Wolfe, Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters et al that's blues.

Loathe britpop with a passion. Glorified covers bands plagerising 60s and 70s material. God it was awful.

Don't like The Who or Rush. The Stones (lot of time for Keith, Ronnie and Charlie) wrote a few good tunes but most of it really dull. Always  thought Faces were a much better band. Jagger always sounds constipated and is midway through 'pushing one out' when singing (same goes for the guy in Reef).

Coldplay = bedewttercore.

Most contemporary acts are really dull. I've  got teenage kids I should offended by their music not bored by it.

I'm stopping now, I'm up early tomorrow 🙃 

• Haha 1