Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I am the very model of a modern master, master..

Lars Ulrich was under the impression that they had stolen 'Battery' from Dave Mustaine, not realising that he had in fact been playing a 'I've Got A Little List' from The Mikado in order to mock Ulrich's lack of musical knowledge.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
carnt typ innit

Oh this is fun! As I read through the comments I can't help but.. "oh yes! Them too.. and them!" and the very occasional.. "Ohhhh.. no, really?"

I can not stand Adele. I don't think she has ever written/sung a happy song. 

I don't particularly enjoy Amy Winehouse's output.

I don't get Tom Petty and that whole raft of what really is just soft Americana.

I really don't get the love for Metallica.

I get wound up when a DJ/Producer is labelled a musician.

I do really enjoy terribly cheesy pop.. and... Ted Nugent's guitar tone back in the day was sublime. He was of course, and still is, an utter bell.

• Like 1

Mastodon - now, I do like many of their songs, and I love their themes. But listening to an album is hard work - it's just noise. The drummer overplays far too often, the riffing gets too sludgy a lot of the time, and many songs have no breathing space and if you're not concentrating (i.e. listening on commute), you lose track of what you're listening to. I don't dislike them - the dual singists thing is good, the soloing is often very tasteful, I love Troy's bass noises.

I prefer Megadeth to Metallica  in terms of number of songs I'll listen to. Little Dave wrote some brilliant basslines that you can actually hear. Yes, Dave M is a gigantic plonker, but he's got some good tunes. 

My favourite Metallica albums are Load and Re/Load.

I have a blank spot for acts that sound like they're between Rawk and Metal - Hard Rock? Heavyish Rock? Metallish? *takes deep breath* Thunder, The Almighty, Black Stone Cherry, etc.

The Tragically Hip ought to have been successful everywhere.

I wish Jordan Rudess hadn't joined Dream Theater.

I’ve respect for good DJs (having DJ’d in the past). 
It’s a skill in itself to put together a good set list & be able to mix in snippets of other songs on the fly so that they don’t sound like 2 songs playing over one another is crucial. Reading the crowd (who are there to dance) is very important. 

I don’t class DJs as musicians. However, producers are very much so.  Just on different levels as any other musician would be. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't stand DJ's, and I find it utterly ridiculous that people would flock in their thousands to watch, what is essentially a human CD multi-changer flouncing around on stage like they're actually creating something. 

I mean, you don’t go to the cinema for a big name projectionist.

Disclaimer: Projectionists may not exist anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't be doing with any of that wet 70s Americana nonsense... Everything from the Doobies/Allman to Petty, The Band, not-quite-so-American piffle like Fleetwood Kack, blokes/women with a guitar singing emotional stuff I couldn't give a toss about (eg Janis Ian, Joni, Tim Buckley etc).

And I actively hate folk, or at least British type folk of the " I sawe a prettye mayde " type. Including Wishbone Ash, Lindisfarne etc even though one of my neighbours is June Tabor (and she's really nice!).

And metal bores me stupid, or at least identikit this-is-where-you-sing-this-is-where-you-growl rubbish, but I do like Rolo Tomassi, because they're at least musically interesting.

However, I like jazz... Or at least I like proper unlistenable jazz, anything from Coltrane to Bailey, but not big band or elevator ook like Sanborn.

And I like The Funk, The Whole Funk and Nothing But The Funk. Including slap, anything with the bass player playing far too many ( or is it just the right amount?) notes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lets simplify it down. Anything with excessive self indulgent tapping and slap in it and I switch off. Cookie Cutter throw away dance music too. Rap without social commentary (I really dont care how many AK's you got poppin, how many "ho's" you have, How much Cristal you can drink, how many diamond encrusted teeth you had put in last week...) give me a bit of old school NWA any day of the week. Unintelligble Metal Bands who sing like mating walrus's....  a bits ok (quite fond of  Killswitch Engage and Funeral for a Friend, also Bloodywood, but come on... 3 minutes of Chewbaccas pickup lines blended with guitars tuned so low the notes are barely discernable...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grassie said:

Bands/singers who make me reach for the “off” switch:

George Ezra

Ed Sheeran

Adele

Any singer/songwriter called “Tom”.

Bastille

Lewis “bloody” Capaldi 

The above acts can be filed under the genre of Borecore. There are many other examples, but because they are so unutterably dull, I’ve forgotten their names.

Sorry but that would include Tom Waits one of the best songwriters and lyricists ever…

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Could he {Prince} play acoustic guitar like John Williams or Tommy Emmanuel? Was he as good a drummist as Buddy Rich? Could he tinkle the ivories like Arthur Rubinstein? Nothing in his output suggests he could, much of which is pretty lightweight and insubstantial e.g. songs like Raspberry Beret.

Two things spring to mind here...

1.) 'Nothing in his output' is a bit sweeping**... his recorded output is in excess of 39 albums, and I'll be super-impressed if as a non-fan you've listened to absolutely all of it. I certainly haven't, and I like him! :lol: 

2.) taking Raspberry Beret as representative of 'much' of his output is a bit like judging Napalm Death's entire back catalogue using 'You Suffer' as a yardstick :lol: 

** Having said that of course, I referred to the Stones as "overrated hackneyed old drivel" but I've certainly not listened to everything they've ever done, so you can probably ignore everything I just said. :lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Rolling Stones.

Massively overrated hackneyed old drivel. The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World? My árse. They are the Luckiest Average Pub Band In The World.

that is pretty much how I feel about them. It always sounds average (good drumming though)

• Like 1

Steely Dan and related offshoots are unlistenable to me. 

I get that they’re top flight musicians and the recording quality is superb, but Yacht Rock really irritates me to the point where I get a bit twitchy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

If beethoven was such a genius, how come he didn't get many top ten hits huh? :)

The song 'Grandad' was a no.1 hit.... does that mean it's genius?!

PS as good a bass player and all round nice guy as Herbie Flowers is, he still hasn't been suitable punished for inflicting this on us.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Two things spring to mind here...

1.) 'Nothing in his output' is a bit sweeping**... his recorded output is in excess of 39 albums, and I'll be super-impressed if as a non-fan you've listened to absolutely all of it. I certainly haven't, and I like him! :lol: 

2.) taking Raspberry Beret as representative of 'much' of his output is a bit like judging Napalm Death's entire back catalogue using 'You Suffer' as a yardstick :lol: 

** Having said that of course, I referred to the Stones as "overrated hackneyed old drivel" but I've certainly not listened to everything they've ever done, so you can probably ignore everything I just said. :lol: 

I've heard all his stuff from Dirty Mind to Diamonds & Pearls, made during the before-he-got-really-weird phase.  He was very good at what he did, up to a certain stage anyway. I just don't buy into the 'genius' claims, though that's more down to fawning and undiscriminating fans. BTW, I agree with you re the Stones.

There are also a lot of anti-jazz comments here. Thing is, jazz is widely unappreciated/unloved so aren't any negative opinions about it, by default, popular?

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Thing is, jazz is widely unappreciated/unloved so aren't any negative opinions about it, by default, popular?

Basschat seems to have lots of folks who can neither cope with jazz,  slap or too many notes bass... Here's a bit of all those 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Bunion said:

I don’t like Jaco Pastorius material (I do like experimental and jazz) I don’t think he deserves the credit he gets I think many people jump on the band wagon singing his praise because they are expected to.

I was massively influenced by Weather Report but not by Jaco's playing. Technically amazing BUT... his solo album tracks sounded like technical exercises and his live solos in a band context sounded like a drunk member of the audience had jumped on stage!

And it's not because I don't like jazz, quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Boodang said:

The song 'Grandad' was a no.1 hit.... does that mean it's genius?!

PS as good a bass player and all round nice guy as Herbie Flowers is, he still hasn't been suitable punished for inflicting this on us.

I'd say that Tuba Smarties was far worse.

31 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

There are also a lot of anti-jazz comments here. Thing is, jazz is widely unappreciated/unloved so aren't any negative opinions about it, by default, popular?

Jazz is such a broad church. Some I love, some I hate. Kind of Blue for example is the perfect 1am soundtrack whereas beaches Brew is a difficult album to digest at any hour of the day.

• Like 1