Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

judging by some of the answers on here some opinions are popular, not unpopular, these twiddling Jazz bass players aren't worth listening too seems popular as is Oasis are rubbish, I agree with the former but not the later

13 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

If Beethoven was a musical genius, then I have the unpopular opinion that applying the word 'genius' to anyone involved in popular music, is wrong.

If beethoven was such a genius, how come he didn't get many top ten hits huh? :)

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I like Sixx:AM but wanting to see them at Download 2016 I got a drubbing from my friends cos they're seen as very naff (does anyone still say Naff?) but I think the guitarist is outstanding.

I always liked Sixx:AM, certainly their original stuff, and don't view them as naff, and DJ Ashba is a great guitarist, although unpleasant in most other ways!

• Like 1

Oasis had a few good tunes, but were tossers that people tired of quickly

Ed Sheeran knows folks who can write catchy tunes, but I'd rather watch paint dry

RHCP have been unlistenable since BSSM

Elton John hasn't been good since the 70s and should have given up 30 years ago

Florence from Florence + the Machine sings flat... All the time! Makes my teeth hurt when she comes on the radio...

I don't like bass as a solo instrument... 

I prefer Jason to Cliff... and Rob for that matter...

>34" scale is not required for a good B string (fairly recent one for me that...)

Stingrays are rubbish...

I'm sure many more will occur to me

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

No, its parts of Howard Jones 'What is love anyway'.

Ah, I knew that well, too, back in the day 😒

Back to the thread's central question: Master Of Puppets is Gilbert & Sullivan carefully dressed up for insecure blowhards 

2 hours ago, xgsjx said:

On the 80s & early 90s one of my fave bands were RHCP.

Then Californication came out & so started the "More of the same".  John rejoined them recently, so I was holing for more pre Californication stuff, but the new album is a big bit pish.

I love Jazz, but it has to be good.  None of this 12 musicians playing different songs.  R+R=Now's album is pretty good.

Never got the fascination with Oasis.  They're a bit average (& I even thought that when they first appeared). 

I liked "Indie" music back in the 90s, but it should have been left there & don't know why it continues to be such a prominent genre today.

I'll listen to any genre of music from Holst to Moderat to Iron Maiden to Silk Sonic.

Despite being a Christian, I can't stand the constant samey guff from the likes of Bethel, Hillsong & what other soundalikes there are.  It leaves me cold.

I like Your opinion on RHCP. That's my favourite band to listen. There is only one band that can play like RHCP and it is RHCP.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

If Beethoven was a musical genius, then I have the unpopular opinion that applying the word 'genius' to anyone involved in popular music, is wrong.

And by that measure Prince is certainly not a genius. Very good at what he did but that's it. Sometimes I read hyperbolic drivel about him being a modern day Mozart! The claim he's a guitar great rests on that live rendition of 'While my guitar...'. . Could he play acoustic guitar like John Williams or Tommy Emmanuel? Was he as good a drummist as Buddy Rich? Could he tinkle the ivories like Arthur Rubinstein? Nothing in his output suggests he could, much of which is pretty lightweight and insubstantial e.g. songs like Raspberry Beret.

• Like 1

There is no style of music or style of playing any given instrument that I intrinsically dislike. I love music as an activity to play, record and listen to, and like to think I can give anything and anyone a fair shake.

That said, there's musicians and/or musical performances that, having heard once, I have no wish to listen to again.

This means that (among many other things) I like Jazz in all its many forms, I like slap, I like rap, I  like opera, and I have no issues of principle with the use of any specific recording technique or technology (pitch correction software being a case in point that has come under discussion on these forums in recent history).

You're welcome.

:hi:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I've been accused of this. My defence is that for an artist to become popular enough for enough other people to like then, they have a generally change their musical style to one I am not as enthusiastic about. 

Cases is point: Firstly I really liked the first U2 album. After that it's been steadily downhill with each subsequent release. Secondly no-one can convince me that Underworld are superior to Freur...

With you 100% re U2. I still really do like Boy but they started to lose it on October, although that does have a few good tunes.  Underworld are probably my fave band but I get why they're not to everyone's taste

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I like

Simply Red

Oasis

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jamiroquai

Level 42

bands who are cool to call “crap” in most people’s opinions…

im not cool. Heh.

This isn’t me, but it could be… 😊

To counter my negative, contrarian post on The Who, my most played artist of the last decade is Vicente Amigo, the master nuevo flamenco guitarist. However many times I post up links to his music on the forum, it basically results in tumbleweed! 

Bands/singers who make me reach for the “off” switch:

George Ezra

Ed Sheeran

Adele

Any singer/songwriter called “Tom”.

Bastille

Lewis “bloody” Capaldi 

The above acts can be filed under the genre of Borecore. There are many other examples, but because they are so unutterably dull, I’ve forgotten their names.

DJ remixes who take a perfectly good track and turn it into drivel with a 4 on the floor beat and crap noises just because the record company have been convinced to throw £1000's at talentless personalites who have no idea of what they are doing to sell a record. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

With you 100% re U2. I still really do like Boy but they started to lose it on October, although that does have a few good tunes.  Underworld are probably my fave band but I get why they're not to everyone's taste

Don't get me wrong, I like Underworld, although the quality IMO does drop off around "100 Days Off", but I like Freur and the original version of Underworld a lot more. I'm surprised you didn't get that from my user name...

26 minutes ago, Clarky said:

To counter my negative, contrarian post on The Who, my most played artist of the last decade is Vicente Amigo, the master nuevo flamenco guitarist. However many times I post up links to his music on the forum, it basically results in tumbleweed! 

I saw him at Sadlers Wells. I used to go to the Flamenco Festival every year :)

• Like 1