Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

8 hours ago, Maude said:

I don't really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented but tedious to listen to. 

I do love a good pop tune though. 

Maybe I shouldn't be here? 😁

Thank God! I thought it was just me. Absolutely agree with this 100%

I'd never even heard of Jaco until I joined this forum, so I looked him up on YouTube, and I thought it was a wind up. It's like a bad comedy spoof of a bass player. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

iSometimes it’s over exposure that kills any enjoyment of a band. I finally started to appreciate Nirvana a few years ago. At the time I liked them in the same way I liked Mudhoney or The Pixies and then came Nevermind. If Debaser was playing whilst I bought my groceries, Radio DJs warbled on to Carol from Romford over the closing bars, Every one on the Tube was wearing the T Shirt, The tabloids were using lyrics as headline puns etc then I doubt if I could have listened to The Pixies for a decade either.

Edit: I now like Nirvana, I wonder if “more than words” did for Extreme  what “sex on fire” did for Kings of Leon?

Edited by tegs07

Well, you asked for it.... for me pretty much any music that has vocals in it I don't like! 

Vocals impose a structure which then becomes repetitive and repetitive = boring. This is compounded when A. the lyrics are banal and B. the musical structure is simple. Repetitive + banality + simple structures = excruciating boredom. 

Of course these days you can't do anything, like go shopping, without this kind of music being forced on you, so pretty much my life is hell! Of course shops could play jazz but then I guess they want to keep customers in the shop.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The funny thing is that I am sure there are many people on here who would have never heard of Jaco if they had not come on here. He is certainly never someone I would have never heard of if I wasn't here. And I am not sure that is true of anyone else.

I bought his solo album when it was first released in 1976, listened to it a few times, then left it on the shelf. The bass playing was incredible, but I wasn't too keen on the music itself. It didn't seem relevant to what I was playing at the time, but I had certainly heard of him long before Basschat came along - long before the internet came along, in fact.

• Like 1

On the 80s & early 90s one of my fave bands were RHCP.

Then Californication came out & so started the "More of the same".  John rejoined them recently, so I was holing for more pre Californication stuff, but the new album is a big bit pish.

I love Jazz, but it has to be good.  None of this 12 musicians playing different songs.  R+R=Now's album is pretty good.

Never got the fascination with Oasis.  They're a bit average (& I even thought that when they first appeared). 

I liked "Indie" music back in the 90s, but it should have been left there & don't know why it continues to be such a prominent genre today.

I'll listen to any genre of music from Holst to Moderat to Iron Maiden to Silk Sonic.

Despite being a Christian, I can't stand the constant samey guff from the likes of Bethel, Hillsong & what other soundalikes there are.  It leaves me cold.

I have often wondered whether more people than we would like to admit have an Oppositional Defiance Disorder and don't like what everyone else likes simply because everyone else likes it. The more popular an artist is, the more a certain section of the community don't like them. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

This exactly. I can’t stand either solo bass or bass solos.

I am also a sucker for a catchy pop tune. Bonus if it has a good grooving bass part.

Nowt wrong with quality pop. Give me Britney Speirs and Sigrid any day over any prog or most metal bands.  I can't abide Metallica's first five albums and prefer some tracks off Load/ Reload. Other than his guitar playing the only good stuff from Hendrix were the covers. The Who and The Rolling Stones should've stuck to singles and split when the Beatles did. Cream and Credence should never have been allowed in a recording studio.

• Like 1

OK I'll start off with admitting I'm probably weird... but I never developed any interest in rock/pop etc when I was a youngster - I went straight to classical. I have no idea why anyone would listen to rap. You can probably make a stronger argument for it being a form of urban poetry than music.

As I've got older, my tastes have changed and widened. These days I like some jazz, New Age, and World stuff. In order to get meaningful bass tuition I had to join my local branch of Rock School and it's hilarious as "We're going to play x" and I haven't a clue what it is, no matter how famous... sometimes I might recognise it. (My intention is to play bass with a big band and possibly some jazz.)

OK so onto unpopular opinions... In the jazz world I've got no time for Coltrane. Randomly playing 3 million notes a minute might be technically very accomplished but leaves me cold: it's just noise. I'm not a fan of Beethoven symphonies 3, 7, or 9. The reasons are quite complex. Some is over exposure, some is I think they're very difficult to do 'well' as consistent works, especially 9. Everyone raves about the last movement (Ode to Joy) but it's actually quite weird and the other movements suffer. I think the issue is that too many performers treat LvB as a 'heroic romantic' composer and he isn't  - he's late classical/transition.

Edited by zbd1960

23 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The Second Time

First time I have heard that - I don't think it is possible to be any more 80s!  The riff after the chorus reminds me of something else, not quite sure what. And now it is bugging me!

24 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I have often wondered whether more people than we would like to admit have an Oppositional Defiance Disorder and don't like what everyone else likes simply because everyone else likes it. The more popular an artist is, the more a certain section of the community don't like them. 

I've been accused of this. My defence is that for an artist to become popular enough for enough other people to like then, they have a generally change their musical style to one I am not as enthusiastic about. 

Cases is point: Firstly I really liked the first U2 album. After that it's been steadily downhill with each subsequent release. Secondly no-one can convince me that Underworld are superior to Freur...

Unpopular?
I really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented and great to listen to.
😉

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

First time I have heard that - I don't think it is possible to be any more 80s!  The riff after the chorus reminds me of something else, not quite sure what. And now it is bugging me!

The line "there's such an urgency in everything I need from you" coming with the unprepared key change: this is artistry of the highest level

2b2e92b19de84af1263b15ef07a6865b_w200.gi

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've been accused of this. My defence is that for an artist to become popular enough for enough other people to like then, they have a generally change their musical style to one I am not as enthusiastic about. 

Cases is point: Firstly I really liked the first U2 album. After that it's been steadily downhill with each subsequent release. Secondly no-one can convince me that Underworld are superior to Freur...

There is also over-saturation and record company pressure to repeat the same format to get the same sales figures. I like Pizza occasionally but don’t want to eat it 3 times a day, sit on a bus with all the passengers wearing Pizza T-Shirts, read endless articles praising Pizza, listen to radio hacks proclaiming the magnificence of Pizza then find the next Pizza is basically the same as the one before and on it goes!

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I like Sixx:AM but wanting to see them at Download 2016 I got a drubbing from my friends cos they're seen as very naff (does anyone still say Naff?) but I think the guitarist is outstanding.

I think they`re great, wasn`t aware that they`re viewed as naff/uncool. but then as I probably am as well  I`m in good company.

• Like 1

Growing up and getting into music in the 80s, I didn't trust / believe any of the popular DJs really liked music - Cheggars Plays Pop, Mike Read's Pop Quiz etc. I believed Tommy Vance and John Peel did but none of the others. Noel Edmunds? Give me a break!

Even if you think I'm mad for thinking that (& I try to tell myself I am wrong), history has proven me right about Jimmy Savile! 

• Like 1

Elton John is rubbish

Ed Sheeran is neither as bad or as good as people say.

I liked the Uk's Eurovision entry the first couple of times I head it, but through overexposure, I'm sick of it now.

I rather like the new Harry Styles single (and the last couple)