Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

Heard a BBC6 Music presenter make a snarky comment about an act that has tended to get a lot of flack, so got me thinking, are there acts you feel are unfairly maligned, or, acts you feel get way more kudos than they deserve? 

Mine was the act in question - Simply Red. Great voice, great band, excellent songs, but possibly more hated than Oasis and Prog combined! I thought they were great back in the day, and still do! 

So, what's yours?

• Like 3

I think more people would like Simply Red if Mick Hucknall wasn't such an objectionable oaf.

I loathe the Pet Shop Boys - I will leave the pub and take a walk up the road if they come on the jukebox. 

I was the only person in my circle of metal friends back in the day to not like Iron Maiden. 

I like dubstep! 

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 5

There aren’t any specific bands that I dislike, but I intensely dislike rap, hip-hop and music like that. One of the younglings at work likes drill & grime & who knows what else, all I know is whatever he’s played I can’t stand.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 6

I don't really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented but tedious to listen to. 

I do love a good pop tune though. 

Maybe I shouldn't be here? 😁

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Maude said:

You should definitely be here, writing a good pop tune is so hard, music snobs will tell you otherwise, but if it were easy we'd all be doing it and be millionaires.

I'm a hard rock/metal fan, but I love catchy pop stuff.

• Like 5

Last week Ed Sheeran played to massive crowds in Belfast.  He writes some decent songs, but I wouldn't pay to see someone with an acoustic guitar and a looper pedal.  In my opinion, there's far more life to the music from a full band.

Judging by the number at his gigs, my opinion is unpopular.

Frank.

• Like 8

I will answer my true guess. Somehow i can't say that i like Marcus Miller - great musician, composer, a true legeng in bass world, but the great minus is - too many slap in his songs. When i listen to his songs, i think - what a great music, but that 99% slap in it makes me somehow dislike it. Maybe that is connected that i am not a big slap fun, as i play fretless only.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Maude said:

I don't really like any of of the 'big bass names' that get rolled out on BC. 

Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pasty-Riots, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, you know the ones. All very talented but tedious to listen to. 

This exactly. I can’t stand either solo bass or bass solos.

I am also a sucker for a catchy pop tune. Bonus if it has a good grooving bass part.

• Like 6

Mid 50’s and from a predominantly Rock background.

I have a penchant for Grime, not all grime but some of those guys are street poets and if the flow is good and the music suits I’m all for it. 

I don’t like Jaco Pastorius material (I do like experimental and jazz) I don’t think he deserves the credit he gets I think many people jump on the band wagon singing his praise because they are expected to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Mid 50’s and from a predominantly Rock background.

I have a penchant for Grime, not all grime but some of those guys are street poets and if the flow is good and the music suits I’m all for it. 

I don’t like Jaco Pastorius material (I do like experimental and jazz) I don’t think he deserves the credit he gets I think many people jump on the band wagon singing his praise because they are expected to.

I also would not perfectly call Jaco the worlds greatest bass guitarist, but the magic of his grooves and tones deserves him to be the one of.............There are no greatest bassist in the world anyway. Finally i would say that Jaco gave to me a lot of things to think and learn and i really like to listen to him. Anyway - he will always be a great bass legend and he absolutely deserves it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I also would not perfectly call Jaco the worlds greatest bass guitarist, but the magic of his grooves and tones deserves him to be the one of.............There are no greatest bassist in the world anyway. Finally i would say that Jaco gave to me a lot of things to think and learn and i really like to listen to him. Anyway - he will always be a great bass legend and he absolutely deserves it.

I’m glad you feel this way.

However this isn’t a debate it’s an “unpopular music opinion” and mine is I think he was boring. 
now Mick Karn… 

• Like 6

The funny thing is that I am sure there are many people on here who would have never heard of Jaco if they had not come on here. He is certainly never someone I would have never heard of if I wasn't here. And I am not sure that is true of anyone else.

• Like 2

There are many names I've only ever heard because of this Forum. OK, I'm a drummer, but I'd put the percentage at a rough 80% 'Who..?'. Not just because of old age; a lot of these famous folk are ony known to a limited circle. B|

Hmmm... I like a lot of stuff that some people love and some hate. I like metal, Megadeth probably being my favourite but a lot of people hate them because of Dave Mustaine's voice and personality. I like Sixx:AM but wanting to see them at Download 2016 I got a drubbing from my friends cos they're seen as very naff (does anyone still say Naff?) but I think the guitarist is outstanding.

I liked country when I was ten and discovered my mum's Johnny Cash LPs, that was very unpopular until the film Walk the Line came out then suddenly everyone idolised Johnny Cash. 

I love 80s music from Level 42 to the cheesiest of pop. Club Tropicana is pop perfection, but I am now in a band where half the people cannot stand anything 80s. 

• Like 1

Some of these might be a bit controversial, but seeing as it's purely about personal opinion.

I think Oasis are probably the most overrated band of the last 50 years, whilst Extreme are probably the most underrated. 

I absolutely loathe jazz. To my ear it's just noise pollution. Noodly jazz bassists just sound ridiculous. 

I also hate the whole rock / rap  crossover thing (and rap in general) It's the worst thing that ever happened to rock music. 

Thunder should have been the biggest band in the world. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2