Why become a member? ×

Small battery powered amp to take on holiday

Buddster

Hi

Summer holidays are nearly here and I'm looking for a small amp to take away with me. It only needs to keep up with acoustic guit, cajon and drunken singing. I'm not looking to busk with it, but I guess it's the same principle. 

It does need to fit in with all the luggage (and comments like "and where do you think that's going to go!") so size is an important factor. 

Also must have aux i/p and headphones o/p. 

I've found these so far I like, plus loads of others. 

Does anyone have any views on amps they've used? Is 3w enough to keep up? 

Many thanks 

Blackstar Fly 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C8PSVUU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_XF56CNQWR2QC1ZE51K2Q

Laney nexus nx

https://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/products/laney-nexus-mini-bass-amp?variant=36655636414626&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADtv28-xkpul76AVty7poUebk05Voh62_5DoHnmJaQTF5xBx3e5c-yBoCwHUQAvD_BwE

Orange mini crush

https://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_crush_mini.htm

I've tried the Black star - wasn't impressed.  Mostly farty and not enough power to keep up with enthusiastically (i.e. drunken) played acoustic instruments.

If your cajon and guitar players are going to behave and play gently whispery folkie type stuff, then you might get away with one, but otherwise, naah.

Other's experience may vary.

I ended up with a Roland micro bass cube which did the trick but it's way more expensive than the ones you listed and will only fit in your luggage if your luggage is quite big. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

I've tried the Black star - wasn't impressed.  Mostly farty and not enough power to keep up with enthusiastically (i.e. drunken) played acoustic instruments.

If your cajon and guitar players are going to behave and play gently whispery folkie type stuff, then you might get away with one, but otherwise, naah.

Other's experience may vary.

I ended up with a Roland micro bass cube which did the trick but it's way more expensive than the ones you listed and will only fit in your luggage if your luggage is quite big. 

Still got it then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak to those amps listed, but like @TheRev my Roland Micro Bass Cube RX really does the trick.  I can turn up with my Bass, the Roland and a cable, not worry about finding mains and even at mid volume it easily keeps up with the rest of the band (Up to 8 enthusiastic ukulele players/singers ... occasionally drunken lol).

I'm going a different direction now as I've an HX Stomp and an Ashdown Ant and a small unpowered cab ... I'm working on the design/build of a rechargeable power unit for it all as mains-less is required at times.

Still undecided about keeping the Roland ...

Spoiler

I could do with the money and would likely be open to a sensible offer.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheRev said:

Thanks for the replies. 

I thought the Blackstar might be a bit under powered for what I need, so good to hear it is. 

The Roland bass cube is a bit too big to fit in the boot with all the other luggage, and a bit over budget, but it does look like a good buy. 

I do need something to be able to keep up with 'enthusiastic' guitarist sat round the table full of empty bottles of wine for the evening singsong so the pocket amp won't really work (plus I already have a NUX plug in and a Zoom B1 four for that). 

I already have a Peavy 15w practice amp and a Rumble 100 for small gatherings when there's mains available. 

So, I ended up going for the Joyo MA-10B. It's 10w and a 5" speaker so hopefully a bit more power (if lacking on features), and about the right size. Plus it's currently £29 from Thomanns. I've also purchased the Harvey Benson power pack they sell after reading on here that someone used that. Seemed a very good idea That should save in buying loads of batteries (plus I can use it for the phone). 

It's on it's way and I'll try to remember to report on it incase it's useful information for others. 

• Like 1

I've got a Yamaha THR 10, which I bought to play my electric guitar through. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it could be powered by batteries or mains and that it can also be used for bass. The tech blurb says it's 18watts and It's definitely able to keep up with acoustic guitars, as I've taken it to a few acoustic rehearsals with one of my bands.

image.thumb.png.5be81d3799c95a537f9d2aa9e4304110.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

We call that 'The Toaster'.

Surprisingly effective little things - hadn't occurred to me to try playing bass through one, mind.

One of the Amp options on the dial is bass and it sounds alright. Decent volume too.

On 17/05/2022 at 19:22, Buddster said:

Hi

Summer holidays are nearly here and I'm looking for a small amp to take away with me. It only needs to keep up with acoustic guit, cajon and drunken singing. I'm not looking to busk with it, but I guess it's the same principle. 

It does need to fit in with all the luggage (and comments like "and where do you think that's going to go!") so size is an important factor. 

Also must have aux i/p and headphones o/p. 

I've found these so far I like, plus loads of others. 

Does anyone have any views on amps they've used? Is 3w enough to keep up? 

Many thanks 

Blackstar Fly 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C8PSVUU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_XF56CNQWR2QC1ZE51K2Q

Laney nexus nx

https://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/products/laney-nexus-mini-bass-amp?variant=36655636414626&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADtv28-xkpul76AVty7poUebk05Voh62_5DoHnmJaQTF5xBx3e5c-yBoCwHUQAvD_BwE

Orange mini crush

https://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_crush_mini.htm

You need to look at the 10 watt Joyo amp. Bigger and louder, great retro look and decent sound.

20220521_200147.thumb.jpg.6313379d866fbe1e3ce33395cc7e1454.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel

• 1 month later...

So just to update this thread in case anyone finds it at all interesting or useful, this is what I ended up taking with me. 

And it worked very well. It was loud enough to keep up with singalongs, (even after many bottles of wine) and having an aux input meant I could practice along with tracks. 

The HB power pack still has charge after a weeks use. Plus it comes with loads of different leads so can power a pedal if needed. 

I also added a small Bluetooth receiver for phones with no headphone o/p. 

All in all well worth the money. 👍

20220621_094557.thumb.jpg.b671d22457bee6ccf1780292aefb3b81.jpg

• Like 3