Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Advice Please

Andy_L

On 18/05/2022 at 07:23, Andy_L said:

Good question. I've just checked and they're 45-105 too, so I wonder if I have a rogue set :(

Maybe not fair to try selling them

That doesn't sound right to me, when I tried Labellas they were like iron rods, I took them off because they were causing me pain

9 hours ago, Bassmingo said:

I'm in the opposite boat, I'd like some flats that have similar tension to 40-100 rounds tuned standard. 

Bass is a jazz type. 

Any recommendations?

Labella 760fx. They feel very similar to my rounds (elixir 40/95) tension wise. I only had to adjust the relief a tiny bit iirc. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 17:28, Ricky Rioli said:

The 760FL ("light") are 43–60–82–104

The 45-65-85-105 set is 760FS ("standard")

Two of my Precisions have these strings, one has FS and one FL. I can't hear or feel any different between them. My Jazz basses have the Fx strings - seems to suit them better.

My other Precision has Rotosound flats, bought from a forum member as an unopened pack - different sound to the LBs, but basically add another option. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 17:28, Ricky Rioli said:

The 760FL ("light") are 43–60–82–104

The 45-65-85-105 set is 760FS ("standard")

Yeah it's funny that they call that there light set, I remember reading somewhere that someone had managed to get tension info from them and said that the "light" set were over 180ibs tension wise, not all that light really

• 1 month later...

How does one go about working out what strings or gauges one has on a bass one loves? I have a fretless p with flats that were on it when I bought it. I love em. Want to get another p and put similar strings on them. What is the easiest way? Take the bass to bass gallery and ask? There are no silks on them.. 

CF570C9F-FB71-411F-B0F8-0B3605696E21.jpeg

4ED299BF-9877-4BBC-93E1-0EA4B552959E.jpeg

• Like 1

buy a cheap digital vernier calliper (about £8 or so) from Aldi or Amazon etc, and measure them accurately - with string gauge differences we're talking in thousands of an inch at times, so it's good to have an exact figure.

13 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t know what they are, It’s unusual for flats to have no silks at all 

Agreed!! Adding to my worries. Because I would love to know in case one breaks or I want to replicate on a fretted!! 

there is a lovely p available at bass direct with some flats on them. They have a pale blue silk. Any idea what they might be? 

20 minutes ago, thewebow said:

They have a pale blue silk. Any idea what they might be? 

I have had flats with light blue silks but can’t remember what they were, I’ve tried so many, I’ll check my string drawer in the morning, maybe labella 760M 

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I have had flats with light blue silks but can’t remember what they were, I’ve tried so many, I’ll check my string drawer in the morning, maybe labella 760M 

Tempted to try and do a deal for the 2017 p bass @ bass direct but they offered me £350 for a MIM jazz bass I paid £700 for @ bass gallery.. I’d been offered £500 for the trade at bass bros. Whom have a very nice 2002 p bass.. decisions decisions ;) 

attached are the silks on the 2017 p bass @ bass direct 

35868156-5FF3-4723-934D-619163DB32A0.png