Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Advice Please

Andy_L

Bit of background: I've always had just one bass, but after it simply stopped working at a rehearsal on Sunday I'm going to get a backup. Most basses seem to come with roundwood strings, but I'll want to change these to flats as soon as possible. But which ones?

I know the strings on my current bass are 45 - 105, but have no idea what make they are as they were already fitted when I got it. The silks are red but that's as much as I know. I'd happily get another set if I knew what they are.

I did try a set of La Bella Deep Talking Flats, but they were very low tension and I didn't get on with them at all. They're still sitting around somewhere but I'd prefer not to use them.

So, what would you recommend for a higher tension set of flats? It's for country rock on a precision.

Thanks for persevering through my ramblings. Andy

41 minutes ago, jay bass said:

what gauge are the La bella strings? la bella deep flats are usualy very high tension.

Steve Harris rotosound 50 / 110 are a heavy guage flatwound if you prefer a higher tension.

Good question. I've just checked and they're 45-105 too, so I wonder if I have a rogue set :(

Maybe not fair to try selling them

1 hour ago, jay bass said:

what gauge are the La bella strings? la bella deep flats are usualy very high tension.

Steve Harris rotosound 50 / 110 are a heavy guage flatwound if you prefer a higher tension.

The tension figures for the 45-65-85-105 set are pretty frightening themselves, the 50-75-95-110 is beyond my comprehension. If your expectations have been set by 45-105 Rotos....

Heavier than the 45-105, LaBella do a 49-109, and then there's the "Original" 52-73-95-110, which I think I read are significantly stiffer as well as heavier.

My fingers found a set of 45-60-80-105 Chromes quite enough of a challenge, and are wincing at the thought of any of these sets 😅

• Thanks 1

It would be good to have some kind of flatwound tension chart as this gets mentioned quite a bit , I took this a long while ago when someone asked me about my strings , these are LTF’s

464899B3-7B22-4CAF-8978-1C95ECA266E9.jpeg

Edited by Reggaebass

The La Bella Flats originals Original 52-73-95-110 are very high tension as mentioned by Ricky above

i have used these on p basses for 50's 60's genre music and they sound great .

but they are very stiff if your not used to high tension flats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jay bass said:

The La Bella Flats originals Original 52-73-95-110 are very high tension as mentioned by Ricky above

i have used these on p basses for 50's 60's genre music and they sound great .

but they are very stiff if your not used to high tension flats.

I tried those , light blue silks I think, and yeah they are very stiff feeling, maybe ok if you play with a pick but they wasn’t for me, they are still in my string drawer 

On 17/05/2022 at 17:11, Andy_L said:

what would you recommend for a higher tension set of flats

Hey Andy, I’ve just remembered that I had these in my string drawer, I’ve been through so many strings but I’m fairly sure they are labella originals and high tension, the silks are a bit frayed but you can have them for nothing if they are any good to you 

220F4B6A-CCAC-402A-88AD-8604FB42A2A4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hey Andy, I’ve just remembered that I had these in my string drawer, I’ve been through so many strings but I’m fairly sure they are labella originals and high tension, the silks are a bit frayed but you can have them for nothing if they are any good to you 

That's really kind of you 👍

I'll drop you a message 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I always think you sound like a really nice bloke when I read your posts. This confirms it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/05/2022 at 09:03, Reggaebass said:

It would be good to have some kind of flatwound tension chart as this gets mentioned quite a bit , I took this a long while ago when someone asked me about my strings , these are LTF’s

464899B3-7B22-4CAF-8978-1C95ECA266E9.jpeg

In my experience, lowest to highest tension:

TI Jazz Flats, La Bella Low Tension Flats, Dunlop Flats, GHS Precision Flats, La Bella Deep Talking Flats, D'Addario Chromes / Fender 9050s, DR Legends, Roto 77s. 

• Thanks 3