Why become a member? ×

MM DarkRay5

FDC484950

I don’t particularly want to play with distortion/fuzz but the control with the light that changes from red to blue… gimmick maybe but I’m a sucker for a gimmick wrapped up in an excellent bass. It seems to be roughly the same price as the harvest special SR5 on the vault, however the dollar price has remained steady but the Sterling (no pun intended) equivalent has jumped quite sharply (when the harvest orange was released a few months back it was just under £2.9K shipped to your door. It’s now £3.3K)

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have no idea who he is and I'm not so easily impressed I'm afraid.

Ha ha, I can appreciate it's not to everyone's taste, but I've always rated Josh, he's been a big influence on me.
He played with Suicidal Tendencies for a while after Robert Trujillo left, and I've always loved his playing, and the energy he creates with his bassings.

I really do like the look of the 4 banger but I suspect that other than switching the distortion or fuzz on as a party piece I'd never use it in a gig scenario.  So I guess all the extra spend would be wasted on me.....Starry Night though....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I struggle to see the point of these. They look nice, but if someone is enamoured of the Darkglass sound surely they'd have a pedal?

I get that but even with pedals you wouldn’t have a Stingray or Stingray 5 fitted with a 2 band Darkglass EQ, which has quite a different voicing from the normal Stingray Specials. The two distortion sounds seem excellent to me as well - I’m guessing there’s a little more immediate and easy (mid song adjustment) at hand rather than with a pedal. A bit like an onboard EQ rather than having to do adjustments remotely on an amp. 

I guess it’s a combination that’s likely to appeal to a particular demographic in terms of the genres they may play which probably doesn’t include the likes of HKH and me - although I could have done with one for a dep I’m doing with distinctly rocky material!! 

Edited by drTStingray

9 hours ago, martthebass said:

I really do like the look of the 4 banger but I suspect that other than switching the distortion or fuzz on as a party piece I'd never use it in a gig scenario.  So I guess all the extra spend would be wasted on me.....Starry Night though....

Same .... but Ooooofffff Starry Night !!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Adee said:

Same .... but Ooooofffff Starry Night !!

Luckily I ordered my Starry Night 4 string when they debuted that finish. The thing I like most about it (other than playing it obvs) is that it has a plain fretboard.

I think these new Darkray's would look better without the dots.

• Like 1

I didn’t spot that, and you’re right. The original PDN starry night had a plain ebony board. Cleaner IMHO.

I’m not so sure about the sparkle white finish. The one close up photo seems to show quite large metal flakes, which is a touch odd. Maybe it’s the lighting. I wouldn’t buy one as I’ve no use for distortion but still think it’s cool :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Luckily I ordered my Starry Night 4 string when they debuted that finish. The thing I like most about it (other than playing it obvs) is that it has a plain fretboard.

I think these new Darkray's would look better without the dots.

Mine now resides with Marleaux and I occasionally hanker after another one but I know that I'd prefer a Sterling over a Ray and they are like rocking horse poo in this finish/neck combo - don't think I've ever seen one come up for sale used.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Mine now resides with Marleaux and I occasionally hanker after another one but I know that I'd prefer a Sterling over a Ray and they are like rocking horse poo in this finish/neck combo - don't think I've ever seen one come up for sale used.

Part of the problem is I don’t think there are that many out there and those that are rarely change hands.

• Like 1