Why become a member? ×

Tuners on Your custom shop dream bass

nilorius

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Surely this only works for a given scale length, string type, string gauge and tuning?

Yes, but... (and this according to Graphtec!), we're talking standard tuning, standard 34" scale, with medium string gauges, one tone is an approximation. 

What they're really saying, and which I think is quite neat, is that each string has a different gear ratio as it makes sense to do this if you can be bothered. Which if you were having a custom bass done you might be. Actually makes tuning the E string easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

What is the physics behind that?

Not that I will necessarily understand the answer 🙁.

Each machine head is geared differently so that turning the tuning peg 360° will turn the post the required number of times to produce a 1 tone change in pitch of the string. However, to accomplish this on the bass version they require a scale length of 34" medium gauge strings and standard tuning intervals between the strings. Changing the scale length or string gauge while losing the 1 turn per tone ratio, should mean that same amount of turning produces the same pitch change per string, but those of us who use non-standard tuning intervals (such as always having the lowest string dropped an extra tone) will lose some of the benefit.

Guitarists who regularly use all sorts of different tunings won't really see any benefit at all.

• Thanks 1

If I was going for headstock tuners then I'd love a set of Graph Tech Ratio

image.thumb.png.57960ba0b6af47afd53244b33369a0d1.png

image.thumb.png.3171eac170047c336d89c96921e7d920.png

However the dream/concept bass I'm working on is a headless system so ...

ABM 3901b Single Bridge Tuner

image.png.e8b934daf559b8e287b0084126951d38.png

with these at the head

Graphtech Ghost PN-8364-00 Piezo Pickups  (To mix in with magnetic pickups) which they sell as compatible with the ABM 

image.png.b86b54d59ad7a7d6a5a25e3d4a1b3bec.png

Tho ... cost is prohibitive; I'll probably end up building my own tuners, I've seen others take the same route.

image.png

On 17/05/2022 at 18:19, Bolo said:

I'd go with hipshot again. Although the quality of the plating is abysmal they are the most steady tuners I've come across.

I have to amend my original statement. I'd still go with the hipshots probably but last night I used my Spector euro lx5 at rehearsal for the first time in three or four months. It was still perfectly in tune! Not a cent out! 

It's got Gotoh tuners on it.

On 19/05/2022 at 10:46, Smanth said:

However the dream/concept bass I'm working on is a headless system so ...

ABM 3901b Single Bridge Tuner

image.png.e8b934daf559b8e287b0084126951d38.png

with these at the head

I love them on my Status basses. There's just one thing I don't like about it: the claw that holds the ball end slides freely over the finish of your bass body. The saddles lay on a brass base plate, but below the claws. I wasn't aware of this until I had to remove one because the spring between the claw and the tuning wheel had an annoying resonance I wanted to get rid of.