Why become a member? ×

Tuners on Your custom shop dream bass

nilorius

Just a personal viewpoint coming up, I realise that loads of people here love choosing tuners and stuff........

I wouldn't have a custom guitar or bass made for me as I have no idea what tuners I like best and don't want to invest any time/effort into finding out.

I prefer to just buy an off-the-shelf guitar and let the manufacturer make the choice. 

Sorry to not really answer your question, hope you get some meaningful answers from others!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

I'd go with hipshot again. Although the quality of the plating is abysmal they are the most steady tuners I've come across.

Probably the same for me too, I think they’re really good. 

I have a soft spot for Schaller, mostly because of their stellar support when I was restoring a Gibson Victory. Sent gratis, 4x the parts I needed when one would have sufficed as well as a sticker and some plectrums. All for a bass made back in 1981 - champs!

i've had 2 basses built for me, they both have Hipshot Ultralites fitted (and Hipshot bridges as well) If i ever get the chance to have another bass built then it will have hipshots as well

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Whatever my luthier recommends. They are probably a lot better placed than I am to know which tuners will be the right ones for me.

If you don’t have a preference, the above is the best advice. Your luthier may have a brand they like to work with and all you need to decide is if you want lightweight or not. Looks aside, any premium tuner should have a quality feeling, precise action. FWIW, 4 of my 5 basses have Hipshots, the other has Wilkinson, Hipshot clones. They’re not all by design, but I have had dealings with Hipshot directly too and have found them to be consistently customer focussed with fantastic service and advice.

4 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Depends on the bass. My favourite tuners are the ones I have fitted to my thunderbird vintage pros - Gotoh res-o-lite GB640 (non-reverse) in a nickel finish, but they probably wouldn't look right on a short scale bass

gotoh-gb640-ni-4l.jpg.407211c452857500061b2d098744a7fd.jpg

I had a heavy relic Custom Shop '62 P bass once and put on a set of these brushed nickel Res-O-Lites.

The body was really lightweight and resonant so I had to offset the weight of all that ironmongery up the other end. It ended up weighing a sniff under 8lbs even with all the covers on! Great bass. Great tuners.

I was never convinced by the original rusty tuners anyway. Real old tuners are maybe tarnished but never rusty. Usually. 

Edit: sorry I've just realised that you didn't necessarily mean the Fender Custom Shop. 

Edited by miles'tone

I've had many kinds of tuners, and to be honest I've never felt the need to replace any and just rolled with what was on the instrument. With one exception: on my Fender Japan JB75-US I replaced the stock tuners with matching Hipshots when I mounted a D-tuner, because the patina of the stock tuners really didn't match the shiny new chrome plating of the D-tuner. Based on my experience with various tuners, I would just get what my luthier recommends or what matches best with the overall appearance and the other hardware on the bass. On a bass with vintage looks I would want nothing other than clover leaves, but I don't mind what they look like on the back of the headstock (i.e. vintage tuners or ultralights).

Depends on the bass really.  For a Fender-type, Gotoh FB30s (lollipops - the '66 J with dots and bound board with lollipop tuners makes me weak at the knees).  For anything more 'modern', preferably an Alembic, it would be Schaller M90s - the 40% reduction in weight would be welcome.