Why become a member? ×

Hello from Swansea

Franticsmurf

Hi all, I'm Dave and I'm relatively new here - I have been hovering in the shadows for the last few weeks as I've been looking for information on lightweight amps and cabs as a result of a muscle injury that has left me unable to carry my usual bass amp - a Laney Richter RB7 and 1x15" cab. After reading through a few threads, I finally settled on a TC Electronics BAM200 head and Warwick Gnome 1x10" cab. Thank you for the info and opinions, which really helped me make an informed decision. I'm happy with the new kit, which will enable me to continue to rehearse and play small gigs while I recover. 

So - a bit about me. There is no test at the end so feel free to skip the boring bits. I started playing in bands way back in the late 80s as a guitarist (am I allowed to use that language here?) before seeing the light and swapping to bass, initially to fill a gap in a mate's band. I found it far more fulfilling, and it felt natural. My mate was the drummer, and we already had a good relationship so that drum/bass groove just worked from the start. We went through the 'we're gonna be big' phase and I popped out the other end still relatively small and inconspicuous. But I enjoy playing, particularly live, and for the last 15 years or so I've been in a successful local covers band working across South Wales. With the enforced break, the band decided to part company (amicably) with the singer and we are currently putting together a new project playing a mix of 80s and 90s rock and funk. It's still at an early stage (although we have some dates booked in July and August - so no pressure then) and the final setlist and exact sound has yet to be finalised. The line up at the moments is drums, bass, lead guitar, keys/guitar and vocals.

For most of my bass playing years, my main bass has been a Steinberger Spirit headless 4 string with drop D tuner. It's lightweight, small (like me) and the tuning is so stable. I love the sound clean through the RB7 (and more recently DI into the PA) and the neck feels comfortable and is easy to access for the higher frets. I have recently added a GK3B pickup into a Vbass and although I haven't gigged this pair (the Vbass was a lockdown purchase) I have been using it to record. There have been basses that have come and gone but my main bass is now a Sterling Ray34HH which had a few outings in the latter part of 2021 via a Laney Digbeth pre-amp pedal into the PA. I find the two humbuckers and the 5 way selector give me a range of tones which are working well in the preliminary rehearsals with the new band. I can growl, shimmer and punch at the flick of a switch. The line-up is completed by a Sterling Stingray 5, a Gretsch Electromatic short scale and an Artisan electro acoustic 4 string which I play in a side project - a 13 piece local festival band complete with mandolins, banjo, brass and which is enormous fun to be in.

I'm looking forward to being a part of and contributing to this forum.

Take care all.

Dave

LM3A1224.jpg.3d5c167b8d3991659a298f610babfc67.jpgDSC04238.jpg.b4af78b6e88b45d6f2cb2884be474916.jpgDSC04239.jpg.38d5a00852011ce2ec25461451abb276.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!

:crigon_04:

Love the headless.

As Brummie I have to ask this - what sound does a Digbeth pre-amp impart? Digbeth is a bit grotty, basically a road in the middle of Birmingham, , and best known for having an utterly terrible coach station (now knocked down and replaced) a temporary flyover that lasted 30 years (knocked down, not replaced), and a plastic statue of King Kong (gone to goodness knows where). 

With a name like that it can't be a clean amp, does it sound like busses and traffic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard!

:crigon_04:

Love the headless.

As Brummie I have to ask this - what sound does a Digbeth pre-amp impart? Digbeth is a bit grotty, basically a road in the middle of Birmingham, , and best known for having an utterly terrible coach station (now knocked down and replaced) a temporary flyover that lasted 30 years (knocked down, not replaced), and a plastic statue of King Kong (gone to goodness knows where). 

With a name like that it can't be a clean amp, does it sound like busses and traffic?

I spent ages experimenting with the best balance between bus and car to get the perfect grungy urban sound. The clean sound is based around the Nissan Leaf. It has a bypass switch, too, which is modelled on the Newbury bypass, I believe. 😀

• Haha 3