Why become a member? ×

Logic purchase into Catalina

Owen

Hi all, I have a student who is running a 2012 MBP on Catalina. She has been using Garage Band at home but Logic in College with us. She fancies upgrading to Logic. She cannot purchase it into Catalina. Does anyone know of a workaround on the app store? She is looking to spend the money, she just cannot. This is not a request for cracked copies.

TIA

Yes, I've done myself with previous version of Logic X.

There are two methods:

1. If she knows someone that she trusts who has a suitably up to date Mac, and will let her create a temporary user account on it. Then she can sign on her temporary account, and use her Apple ID to access the store and purchase the latest version of Logic. Back on her own Mac she can then get the most recent version that will run under Catalina, by going her "Purchased" list in the app store. Once that has worked she can delete the temporary user account off the other Mac.

2. Alternatively she could buy the cheapest suitable Mac she can find form an on-line retailer. Create a user account and buy Logic as before, and then download the latest working version on her Mac. Once that has been done, wipe the new Mac and return for a refund under the distance selling regulations.

• Thanks 2

One thing to be aware of is that projects saved in the very latest version of Logic X are not completely backwards compatible with earlier versions. Previously you would get a message saying that the project was created by a newer version of Logic X and may not be compatible, but it would open even if there were elements that the older version didn't recognise because they used features only available in the newer version. However since the last update I now get a message saying the project can't be opened at all. This doesn't appear to affect Logic users on Catalina yet (the affected Mac is only running High Sierra), but could become issue in the future.

<sigh> I am back again. I have set up the student's account on my MBP, but after she logs in and goes to the App store it sees my copy of Logic so there there is no option to buy. Any further guidance? She is signed in as her on the App store. Thanks as usual.

Edited by Owen

I think I know what the problem is. Because Logic is installed in main Applications folder (rather than the individual user's applications folder), when she logs into the App Store, it can already see that Logic has been downloaded, and therefore won't offer the option to buy it.

Try logging back in to the Mac as yourself and move the Logic Application from the Applications folder into a new folder with some obscure name on the desktop. Then try again. Hopefully she'll be able to buy now and once that has been done you'll be able to move the Logic app back to its proper location.

If that doesn't work she'll have to use the other route I suggested in my original post or try this process on a Mac that doesn't already have Logic installed.

Those were the directions I needed. Thank you. 

But Apple has clocked that she is running less than OS11.5 on her MBP so is refusing to sell it to her. 

Deeply frustrating, but there you go. 

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 11.34.29.png

Weird... 

However that looks like an education price, maybe the Apple ID and hardware are more closely linked for education users due to the discounted prices of both?

I was able to get this to work for me with the a previous version of Logic Pro X, but...

1. I'm not an education user

2. I'm also the main user on the Mac I used to buy my copy of Logic Pro X

You probably already have, but just double-check that your Mac is running the appropriate version of Mac OS as shown in that dialogue box, because there has been a recent update to Logic Pro X that upped the required version of the OS.

14 minutes ago, Owen said:

Those were the directions I needed. Thank you. 

But Apple has clocked that she is running less than OS11.5 on her MBP so is refusing to sell it to her. 

Is there a reason you can't or don't want to update to 11.5?

Nope

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Is there a reason you can't or don't want to update to 11.5?

Nope. I have started to not update after waiting months for plugins to catch up with Big Sur. But I shall update now.

• Like 1

Mac OS 11.5 has been out for almost a year now and AFAICS is mostly bug fixes and security updates, so it shouldn't have any implications for 3rd party plug-ins.

However be aware that if you do update it may automatically go all the way to 11.6.5. If you want to just get 11.5 try searching for Mac OSX 11.5 combo update.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Glad you got there in the end. Pity Apple make it such a convoluted process.

For a company which wants our money, they make it quite hard unless you are on the shiniest kit. 

• Like 1