Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried drumming?

la bam

Hi all, I know there are a few drummers on here, but has anyone taken up drumming after years and years of bass playing?

I've just bought a used cheap ish electronic kit, with the aim of learning to play. It's a mesh kit so quieter than a rubber one, and to be honest I'm very impressed with the sounds available. Headphones on, aux in, and away into my own world!

I'm the type of bassist who really concentrates to lock in with the drummer and get really tight to work as a rhythm section rather than just a drummer and bass player. However, after just a few short goes using online lessons I'm blown away about how wrong I've been for years regarding what makes up a simple beat, or what i was hearing as a straight 4/4. It's really made me appreciate a lot more what is actually going on.

For example, a simple beat:

Kick on 1 and 3.5

Snare on 2 and 4

Hi hat doing straight 8ths.

Even the fills- completely different to what I thought I was hearing.

If anyone gets a chance, or has the opportunity to give it a go, do it. It can only help your appreciation and playing.

I do believe though being a bass player has really helped with the timing and rhythm feel, luckily i dont think bassists have to start from scratch and learn rhythm, timing and feel as well as the drums.

Only had the kit a week, and loving it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bass was my main thing until our drummer left. I've played drums ever since and now it's my main gig

IMO every musician should have a go at drumming in a band, even if it's just a jam. It brings home the importance of listening to every other instrument, opens your mind in terms of rhythm, and makes locking in with a drummer when you're next on bass (or whatever other instrument) so much easier

EDIT: I also love how physical it is. You're basically dancing with sticks in your hand. When you're playing a gig, everyone is dancing to you. Quite often around here people will say things like "if the bass stops, people stop dancing"? Well that's just not the case, sorry. 

Also it's so much easier to jam with new people. You don't have to know the chords or even the key. All you need to know is if there are any stops, and if you miss one just chuck a fill in and look like you meant it

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 2

In my old punk covers band we often used to swap instruments at rehearsals. One day they said Lozz, you go on drums, you`ll be used to keeping time as you`re a bassist.

What song did we do, Ace of Spades by Motorhead. I was hyperventilating by the second verse!

• Haha 3

I took up drumming about 7 years after I started playing bass. I saw bass and drums as musical bedfellows and definitely felt I get a better understanding of what I should be doing on a bass by playing drums. I ended up playing drums for a few bands in the late 90's. After about 10 years of not drumming, I took up sticks again a few years ago. It's great fun, helps me musically and is also a real challenge to get good at. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

EDIT: I also love how physical it is. You're basically dancing with sticks in your hand. When you're playing a gig, everyone is dancing to you. Quite often around here people will say things like "if the bass stops, people stop dancing"? Well that's just not the case, sorry. 

Agreed - I was playing a gig one time in a giant metal shed and we tripped the power.  The drums and horns kept on going and everyone just kept on dancing, it was a fun little curve ball thrown into the mix.  I started clapping along - what else could I do?  Power was restored within about 20 seconds (felt way longer) and we carried on with the song as if nothing had happened.  Made the night - it's the main thing I remember from that gig :D

Also, no - I haven't tried drumming.  Looks difficult and I've got a guy for that!

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

I did drum lessons for a year at school, but I never carried on - no idea why as I love drumming. 20-odd years later I'm still always tapping away on whatever object is nearby, practicing polyrhythms and stuff. I'd love to take it up again but I can barely keep up with bass at the moment.

Another thing - you can practise drums anywhere. You don't even need a practise pad, just move your limbs as you would behind the kit. 

It's a really common thing for drummers to make excuses for lack of practise, due to noise or space or whatever. These are the types that only ever play at their band's rehearsal. It's very rare for these types to be good musicians

I can play a bit, and for me it's massively important for songwriting, meaning I'm able to program realistic (and physically playable!) drum parts & fills on my own stuff. It's always good to be able to hand a finished song to a 'proper' drummer and hear how a musician who really understands the instrument interprets & changes it - but it's pretty cool when they decide to play that fancy fill exactly how it was programmed! 😎

• Like 1

Drumming is crap!

No... wait... MY drumming is crap!

I jump on the Mrs's kit from time to time, but my co-ordination is rubbish. I suppose if I spent proper time it would come together, but when I look at her level of independence, particularly obvious on Latin stuff, it's clear how much work would be needed.

Not the same, but I find even programming drums really helps, usually for the Basschat Comp Challenge each month. Something feels wrong, and something as simple as moving one kick lets everything fall into place.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cheddatom said:

EDIT: I also love how physical it is.

Me too. I keep a corner in my living room free for my future drum set.
(That and drummers have always been the most fun people to be around, quite unlike for example followers of my own religion, organ playing.)

I try to have a go on drums now and again.... lucky if it happens more than once in a year though.

I stood in on drums (rehearsal only!) a couple of times for my old band when the drummer was away. I was much better than either of the other two guys would have been, but nowhere near good enough to gig it.

Good fun though!

occasionally book a rehearsal room and have a bash to some tracks I record at home.

In fact, I reckon I'm due a drum session any time now 🙂.

Another ex-drummer here. Started at 11, but switched to bass for logistical puposes later on. I'm currently not playing either!

What I've never lost, is my drumming ear - it's the rhythm I always focus on. Even playing bass, I would have always decribed my style as percussive - almost like I'm drumming. Always with a pick, lots of ghost notes, all over the place, really!

What is the rarest thing ever to find....a great drummer. I've played alongside loads of people masquerading as drummers, whereas I can only think of a couple that really were. Knocking out a 4/4 with occasional cymbal crashes is not a drummer (if that's all they do)......most I played with ignored the song, and just steamed through, just cluless.

The bass playing job is just a million times easier alongside a proper drummer. Rant over! 😁

I've not played drums for 14 years.  

Not gigged on bass or anything since moving back to the UK.

Then, a few weeks ago, a mate got 3 gigs at the Dereham blues festival and asked if I can play drums for him. He was going to stay with us for the festival anyway.  His drummer is abroad that date.

So, three gigs, IN ONE DAY!   and not only am I having to learn all his original numbers, I'm having to learn to play drums again. It's very hard at 70.  However, a 90 min session gives me 4000 steps on my fit-watch so it's certainly exercise. I'll admit I'm very nervous about it. His drummer is a pro, and so is his bass player.

The only qualifications I have are that I  live 15 mins from Dereham and had a drum kit in the loft😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, la bam said:

Hi all, I know there are a few drummers on here, but has anyone taken up drumming after years and years of bass playing?

I've just bought a used cheap ish electronic kit, with the aim of learning to play. It's a mesh kit so quieter than a rubber one, and to be honest I'm very impressed with the sounds available. Headphones on, aux in, and away into my own world!

I'm the type of bassist who really concentrates to lock in with the drummer and get really tight to work as a rhythm section rather than just a drummer and bass player. However, after just a few short goes using online lessons I'm blown away about how wrong I've been for years regarding what makes up a simple beat, or what i was hearing as a straight 4/4. It's really made me appreciate a lot more what is actually going on.

For example, a simple beat:

Kick on 1 and 3.5

Snare on 2 and 4

Hi hat doing straight 8ths.

Even the fills- completely different to what I thought I was hearing.

If anyone gets a chance, or has the opportunity to give it a go, do it. It can only help your appreciation and playing.

I do believe though being a bass player has really helped with the timing and rhythm feel, luckily i dont think bassists have to start from scratch and learn rhythm, timing and feel as well as the drums.

Only had the kit a week, and loving it!

I’ve just done exactly the same, never drummed before.

I thought it may improve my timing and locking in better with more understanding. 

Mesh kit the same, I’m using my Waza Air Bass with it it’s great. 

888BF156-4B9B-46A7-A6A8-C5566B68E3C5.thumb.jpeg.6aa233549f8ec33b27a20fa3de2319c7.jpeg

It’s the thomann home millennium brand I got second hand on here 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2

Similar to what i was using in 2002, but mesh kits were expensive back then, as there weren't many on the market,  Roland had a bit of a monopoly.

You cant buy them anymore but i had a Roland TD8KV. Bought it new £2200  - ouch

roland_td8_percussion_1533221784_a6b1d543_progressive.jpg.5932ce9e1e5a46fa566fb395beb95f7b.jpg

Edited by fleabag

My dad was a pro drummer in the 60s so at the tender age of 8, I assumed I would follow in his footsteps. I was 8 and couldn't take instruction from my Dad! I have since learned a basic beat on drums after 32yrs as a bass player. I currently teach bass to a pro drummer and he is always offering me free drum lessons. Never say never. It's good to stretch out on other instruments.

yep me too.

I have a roland TD3K which I bought about 14 years ago. Play it occasionally but I've recently moved house and will soon have a 'proper' music room, so we (myself and my wife) have invested in a new Mapex kit and we will also have some lessons. My 80s band drummer is absolutely amazing and he teaches too, so we'll be using him.

I have no interest in gigging on the drums, just fancy a go at playing. 

Strangely, in my last band, Live n Kickin' I had actually done everything for them on different occasions. I had played bass only, Lead Guitar only, Rythmn guitar only, sung only, then ended up playing guitar and singing and eventually bass and singing. I never got to play the drums with them!!

• Like 1