Why become a member? ×

How do you get this sort of finish?

Pea Turgh

I would try starting from bare wood then make a kind of handle with a piece of string through a neck bolt hole and carry it around for an hour or so banging it carelessly into things. Probably do that bit outside so you don't trash the sideboard ;)

Then a coat of light brown stain and rub it off with a pad so you don't wipe it out of any dings. Repeat until you have the depth of colour you want then finish with a matt lacquer or wax.

I've never done this so I'm hypothesising (making it up), but that's how I would try to do it.

I reckon that the top wood is sitka spruce or similar - a bit like the stuff used for acoustic guitar tops.  It's got that kind of tight, straight grain but also quite soft so relatively easy to scratch and dent.  Then a combination of light brown and dark brown stains and outside burst and finally finished with something like Osmo 1101.  Nicely done though - probably took a few attempts to get the right degree of relicing and staining

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Thanks 1