Why become a member? ×

New class AB head - alternatives to Ashdown?

Nickthebass

I’m looking for a new head as an alternative to my GB Streamliner 900 (which I plan to keep).

The list of requirements is pretty short … loud, reliable, not class D (nothing against class D, I’d want something different and easier to fix). Also good after sales support / repair (UK based for preference either dealer or distributor) and preferably 2 speakon outs. 

Budget in the £800 ish range ideally. 

I don’t really need super twinkly top end, more like “warm Jazz bass” but. I’ll back myself to get a good sound out of most amps.

Am I talking myself into an Ashdown ABM600? 

Any other bids?

For those interested the head will be atop (one or both) a Gen2 Barefaced Midget T and Gen2 Compact.

Gigs at the moment are either folky / singer songwriter or blues(ish).

Edited by Nickthebass
Budget added

• Nickthebass changed the title to New class AB head - alternatives to Ashdown?
24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Glockenklang

Aguilar - AG700 / DB751

Ampeg - various SVT models

Orange OB-1 500

I'm sure there's loads more.

Looks like Glockenklang’s only new head is a class D.

DB751 is about £2k too much (budget added after you posted) and the AG700 is class D.

The Ampeg solid state stuff looks to be all class D other than the SVT3 - which is a good shout.

Hadn’t thought of the Orange option. Thanks

Edited by Nickthebass

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think you’re headed towards that ABM at warp factor ten, Nick.

It fits the bill exactly, from sound to after-care/support.

Haa!! That’s what I thought. I had some bad experiences with earlier ABMs being a bit wooly but I’m banking on that being partly down to lack of experience on my part. 

The 600 is a whole new ball-game, it’s so flexible eq-wise, aside from modern hi-fi sounds it has pretty much everything covered. Def the best amp I’ve ever had, and one I’ll never tire of recommending.

13 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can say that the Handbox R-400 is - IMO - the God of class A/B's, but understand that it doesn't meet your criteria for native UK support.

I was waiting for you to chime in on behalf of Handbox! 😆 The lack of a UK network is a bit of a downer TBH. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can say that the Handbox R-400 is - IMO - the God of class A/B's, but understand that it doesn't meet your criteria for native UK support.

I would say that there are a couple of Mesa Boogie class A/B heads that are up there, but the HB R-400 is certainly worth considering and doesn't cost a fortune. There are plenty of decent techs knocking around who can service / do any work on the amp if needed. 

1 hour ago, Nickthebass said:

Haa!! That’s what I thought. I had some bad experiences with earlier ABMs being a bit wooly but I’m banking on that being partly down to lack of experience on my part. 

I also don't like the earlier ABMs and would also have said they sounded wooly. Love my ABM 600 though. It's leagues ahead of the old ones to my ear! 

10 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

I also don't like the earlier ABMs and would also have said they sounded wooly.

I know they have their fans, but that's what I always thought Dunno about the newer ones. 

Definitely the ABM600 and it really is that good as is the service and direct support from Ashdown in Essex HQ

I had one ( secondhand) and sold it then couldn’t find an amp to beat it so purchased a new one late last year 

100% a great amp that you learn more about how superb it is the longer you use it 

On 16/05/2022 at 20:01, Lozz196 said:

I think you’re headed towards that ABM at warp factor ten, Nick.

It fits the bill exactly, from sound to after-care/support.

For anyone keeping score ... @Lozz196 was on the money and wins a small prize. I spoke to Dave at Ashdown yesterday and a rackmount ABM600 should be with me tomorrow.

• Like 1

The Orange 4Stroke is excellent. I've had the ABM 600 and it's also very good.

The 4Stroke is the only amp I've owned more than once. 500watt is very loud, the 300watt is easily loud enough for most situations.

3 hours ago, 2elliot said:

The Orange 4Stroke is excellent. I've had the ABM 600 and it's also very good.

The 4Stroke is the only amp I've owned more than once. 500watt is very loud, the 300watt is easily loud enough for most situations.

Thanks for this. Looks like the 4 Stroke is discontinued though. ABM is en route!

3 hours ago, andyonbass said:

For 255 quid including a 3 yr warranty this could be worth a punt......  certainly worthy as a backup

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_solidbass_600h.htm

Thanks for this - definitely a good back up option. I've ended up going down the Ashdown route though. The ABM-600 just makes too much sense in particular from a UK support point of view. I had a couple of lovely chats with Dave Green and he has ended up making me a rack mount version which should be landing with me today.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nickthebass said:

Thanks for this - definitely a good back up option. I've ended up going down the Ashdown route though. The ABM-600 just makes too much sense in particular from a UK support point of view. I had a couple of lovely chats with Dave Green and he has ended up making me a rack mount version which should be landing with me today.

Let us know if you need any tips or questions about settings etc 

I find the Shape Out button ( instant smiley face EQ ) sounds great at home but in a band it gets a little lost. You can boost the 340hz slider to compensate or …

Run Shape Button IN and pull down the 340hz slider a bit 

I find that is an ideal setting for rock etc 

my settings below 

The onboard compressor isn’t great ( drops the output level too much and kills the top end sizzle )

Drive control is the best and sounds really good 

Using my PBass I run the input level as shown 

5D3BA690-E88C-4FEC-988C-890C7CB92693.thumb.jpeg.ff06a8e2b6fcc41dfd81539d7a70f327.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27

I do really rate the Ashdown heads. I find that they cut through better when I cut the main bass EQ to about 10 or 11 o clock and effectively use the next two sliders as my de facto 'Bass' control. It definitely tightens things up, particularly on higher settings of the drive control. I generally don't use the pre-shape.

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

I do really rate the Ashdown heads. I find that they cut through better when I cut the main bass EQ to about 10 or 11 o clock and effectively use the next two sliders as my de facto 'Bass' control. It definitely tightens things up, particularly on higher settings of the drive control. I generally don't use the pre-shape.

That`s a good call, and what I used to do in rehearsal rooms, adjust the main bass eq to suit the room.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s a good call, and what I used to do in rehearsal rooms, adjust the main bass eq to suit the room.

4 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Let us know if you need any tips or questions about settings etc 

I find the Shape Out button ( instant smiley face EQ ) sounds great at home but in a band it gets a little lost. You can boost the 340hz slider to compensate or …

Run Shape Button IN and pull down the 340hz slider a bit 

I find that is an ideal setting for rock etc 

my settings below 

The onboard compressor isn’t great ( drops the output level too much and kills the top end sizzle )

Drive control is the best and sounds really good 

Using my PBass I run the input level as shown 

5D3BA690-E88C-4FEC-988C-890C7CB92693.thumb.jpeg.ff06a8e2b6fcc41dfd81539d7a70f327.jpeg

Thanks - with that visual gain stage reminder ... I might be a bit more brave with the input gain that I would have been! :D

2 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

Thanks - with that visual gain stage reminder ... I might be a bit more brave with the input gain that I would have been! :D

My VU needle is often way over into the red zone on a low Eb ( we tune to Eb as standard ) but mostly its at 0V value ( the ideal ) 

You will find that various things on the ABM600 affect the input obviously EQ settings, drive, shape and Compressor 

Edited by BassAdder27

40 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

My VU needle is often way over into the red zone on a low Eb ( we tune to Eb as standard ) but mostly it Mac’s at 0V value ( the ideal ) 

You will find that various things on the ABM600 affect the input obviously EQ settings, drive, shape and Compressor 

I get the feedback loop between gain stage, EQ etc. - it’s more that I’ve never had that visual thing saying “don’t be shy - you can give it some more beans”.