Why become a member? ×

Mics with a switch

Jakester

Can anyone give any recommendations for a decent vocal mic with a switch? 

I have a need for a mic which can be switched on and off without giving a massive bang through the system as many do. Basically I do a gig where to a greater extent there's no-one manning the PA when it's set up. I/we (the instrumental band) need a mic for announcements etc but not for performing. I don't want a live mic left next to us when we're playing as the location is not really optimal but there's no-one on the board to mute it. (Edit: and it's a hard-wired, house PA so can't use my XR18 or anything to have the mix controls near me). 

I've tried a couple of cheapies in the past that singers have had but they all make a pop or boom noise when on a live mic the switch is, well, switched. 

Any recommendations? Will a switched SM58 do the job? I nearly got an AKG D5S for a decent price but it turned out to be the standard version, so had to cancel. 

Edited by Jakester

Thanks both. 

15 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Can’t really go wrong with a switched 58. Provided it suits your voice, of course.

Well I can say for certain I'm not going to be singing through it! I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that torture!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, not sure it's actually possible to 'switch off' a mic without creating a very nasty pop from the PA.

What's the driver for this? Why do you want to be able to switch it off?

The 58 shorts the capsule before the transformer that provides the balanced output so doesn’t pop. I don’t know about cheaper mics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DanOwens said:

A different idea - a Mic Muter from Orchid. Almost all mics will pop when reconnected. 

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Mic_Mute_lite.htm

Interesting, thanks! Though I suppose one more bit of kit to carry around.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

What's the driver for this? Why do you want to be able to switch it off?

I/we (the instrumental band) need a mic for announcements etc but not for performing. I don't want a live mic left next to us when we're playing as the location is not really optimal but there's no-one on the board to mute it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itu said:

SM58 no switch

SM58S with switch

This.

In pro PA world switched mics are tucked away in techs toolboxes. If it goes up on a stand you can guarantee that the "talent" will switch the mic off before attempting to sing or speak into it...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jakester said:

Had a punt on one of these as for that price it's a steal given the reviews. 

I have two (without the switch) and they're way better than any of the other cheap mics I've come across. They're good enough for my ooooohs and ahhhhhs anyway. :)

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2022 at 17:31, dudewheresmybass said:

as another side step the optogate is a great signal, and uses an optical element to essentially switch the mike on when you get close to it.

Microphone Gates | Optogate (optogateonline.com)

Thanks, that looks really interesting - but pretty expensive! US$240 plus shipping - hefty.