Why become a member? ×

Daddario Chromes Alternative Recommendations

Need to replace a busted set of Daddario Chromes (100 - 45). Last time i bought a set they were around 26£, but checking around it looks like they’ve got to £45-50… which is freaking absurd.

Anyone got any suggestions? It’s for a short scale Dano ‘62, so it needs to fit through the guitar tuners that these are fitted with.

If you bought them at £26, that must have been a while ago, which works out pretty well in terms of longevity for your money. If you like them, I'd swallow the increased cost (shop around, obviously) and relax knowing they'll serve you for another few years. Trying alternatives can end up being more expensive if you go through several sets to find something you like.

You’re right - it was a while ago.  2017 on Amazon for £26, and for sure I’ve had really good use from them. But in 5 years they’ve nearly doubled in price whilst rounds bought at that time (Fender 7250m) have increased by £1-2.

But I think you’re advice to go with what I know is good advice…  Hey ho! 

The best cheap(er) flatwounds I have found are the ones sold by status graphite. These are stainless steel flats made for status by picato who no longer make them so there is a finite supply. They still have short & medium scale in stock, but no long scale flats. I use the medium (32") scale ones on my guild starfire and for £22 delivered they are unbeatable. I can't link to the specific page on status-graphite.com as their retro 90s style website uses a frameset.

• Thanks 1