Why become a member? ×

Melodic bass

shoulderpet

Whilst I am not a fan of bass solos I love songs that have bass being used as a melodic instrument.

The below are some of my favourites for this, anyone else have any good examples of this kind of thing?

[Youtube]

Great intro bassline on this and gets pretty funky around 1.32

[Youtube]

Bass starts around 40-ish seconds in to the song

[Youtube]

[Youtube]

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Carlos D is one of my favourite bass players - fantastic melodic player who apparently didn't even like playing bass (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/aug/12/interpol-carlos-d-bass) - what? :D

Interesting! Idon't know Interpol though. What are the best examples of his melodic bass playing? 

9 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Interesting! Idon't know Interpol though. What are the best examples of his melodic bass playing? 

The first video the OP put up is a good place to start.  Actually I love the whole of the first album (Turn on the Bright Lights).  I also quite like the track Public Pervert from the Antics album for melodic playing, particularly in the verses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

The first video the OP put up is a good place to start.  Actually I love the whole of the first album (Turn on the Bright Lights).  I also quite like the track Public Pervert from the Antics album for melodic playing, particularly in the verses.

Turn On The Bright Lights is probably my favourite record of the 21st century

• Like 1

The OP prompted me to educate myself about NMA's various bassists, when did Stuart Morrow leave etc and that led me to this clip of them on The Tube. A round of applause please for the sound guy, who certainly knew what was what

ps if you want to ruin your morning, spend a while poking around online trying to work out Morrow's post-NMA career 😔

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

Of course, the elephant in the room when it comes to melodic basslines driving the song is McCartney's "Silly Love Songs". Zero cool points but a classic of the type.

https://youtu.be/wh15LOppcWQ?t=15

And while we're in a poppy frame of mind, there's this classic from MJ which would be nothing without ol' Thunderthumbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BfcRjZn6y4

33 minutes ago, Bagman said:

Talk Talk - “It’s My Life”

The Smith’s - “ This Charming Man”

David Bowie - “Slow Burn”

Kate Bush - “Breathing”

Ooo some fantastic ones there, This charming man is deceptively tricky, Breathing has some fantastic fretless bass on it

Jason Newstead (Metallica) had a great intro line for "My Friend Of Misery". Really melodic and served the song well. It feels like it was really meant for bass instead of just another melodic line that may have sounded better on guitar 😅