Why become a member? ×

What’s the life of a class D power amp?

Nickthebass

6 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

I may look into buying a spare power module to stick in the drawer in case of disaster! I'm still a massive fan of the Streamliner and in particular the pre-amp. If the worst ever came to the worst and the power amp did explode and was un-fixable I would still keep it as a DI box / pre-amp. In fact ... is someone happened to make a Streamliner style DI box I could be persuaded to be in the market for one!

If this is an amp you cannot do without then it would make sense to simply buy another, they are going for around £350 here in the for sale section. You have no guarantee about what part of the amp might go wrong. If it was the power supply or the pre amp then you'd have spent a lot of money for nothing.

Having said that I don't think you need to worry. If the failure rate is 5% a year the chances are that you'll have a long wait before you need the spare and modern amps are incredibly reliable, just relax and enjoy the amp you obviously love.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

If this is an amp you cannot do without then it would make sense to simply buy another, they are going for around £350 here in the for sale section. You have no guarantee about what part of the amp might go wrong. If it was the power supply or the pre amp then you'd have spent a lot of money for nothing.

Having said that I don't think you need to worry. If the failure rate is 5% a year the chances are that you'll have a long wait before you need the spare and modern amps are incredibly reliable, just relax and enjoy the amp you obviously love.

You make a good point Phil. To be honest though the older I get the less wedded I am to particular pieces of gear, particularly back line and pedals. I want it to be reliable, loud and reasonably portable - anything else is a bonus. At the end of the day I have yet to meet an amp that I can't do without (from a tonal / performance stand point). It's only a "can't do without" if it's my only amp of an appropriate size / power. I've got a new Ashdown head arriving today which will likely be my primary amp for the next wee while as I get used to it. It'll sound different to the Streamliner but that's fine - maybe the difference will be something I prefer even if it's only because it is different and the STM has been the only amp I've gigged for the past 10 years.

Neither amp is going to make my sub-Jamerson fumblings sound any more closer to the man himself.

• Like 2

On 18/05/2022 at 00:40, Downunderwonder said:

Mmmmmmmm.... Ma-tsu-shi-ta genuine parts. Using high purity al-u-min-i-um and silicon.

Mat-sush-ta If you had had to explain as many times as I have that there is no effing sheet in there only a mat. That is what the big M is on many components.

27 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Mat-sush-ta If you had had to explain as many times as I have that there is no effing sheet in there only a mat. That is what the big M is on many components.

Are you Paul Page?

Panasonic asked him to tell the press that no, it should be
pronounced mah-tsoo-shee-tah. Hiro then told Paul Page to pronounce
it however he liked to.