Why become a member? ×

Best resources to learn to play chords like Mike Bendy?

Devers95

Title says it all really, whenever I see Mike Bendy demo Fodera's he has fantastic knowledge of chord theory and it's something I've always wanted to learn but I've no idea what resources to go about using. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Start from triads:

- major

- minor

- aug, dim

Turn them around i.e. start also from third and fifth and listen to them.

Move to 6, 7, maj7, sus4. Explore 7+5, and 7-5.

Write chord charts to a fretboard picture. (Hint: use only three strings, and you can move chords quickly around the fretboard. Lazy guy buys Hellborg's chord book, which does not clarify things too well. But you're not one.)

Play and listen to them. A lot.

Try to understand at least something about basic chord progressions, like 1-4-5-1, and 2-5-1. Then the chords reveal some of their secrets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itu said:

Start from triads:

- major

- minor

- aug, dim

Turn them around i.e. start also from third and fifth and listen to them.

Move to 6, 7, maj7, sus4. Explore 7+5, and 7-5.

Write chord charts to a fretboard picture. (Hint: use only three strings, and you can move chords quickly around the fretboard. Lazy guy buys Hellborg's chord book, which does not clarify things too well. But you're not one.)

Play and listen to them. A lot.

Try to understand at least something about basic chord progressions, like 1-4-5-1, and 2-5-1. Then the chords reveal some of their secrets.

Thanks a lot! Thats all stuff im relatively familiar with. Sounds like I just need to be better then! Cheers haha

In addition to @itu's wise words I'd emphasise the importance of studying triads and their inversions in as much depth as you can stomach before moving on to 'bigger' chords.

Also take a look at spread voicings of triads (e.g. root - 5th -10th) as these tend to speak better on the bass in some situations compared to close-voiced triads.

Another area to check out is the concept of voice leading - essentially finding the path of least resistance through a set of chord changes using inversions. Piano players and guitarists are worth studying for this more than bass players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1