Why become a member? ×

Markbass Little Mark II vs III

TRBboy

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Is there actually a difference in the electrical signal sent to the speaker from a class D amp when compared to a class AB amp?

From what I understand, there is a difference in how the amp responds when you play a note. It is far too technical for me and I am not going to try and explain it badly so people can ask questions I can't answer, but it kinda made sense (albeit on a superficial level) when it was explained to me . 

However, whether you agree with that or not, I'm sure that most people can tell the difference in sound and response between an all-valve amp and a hyrid amp with an A/B power section, and similarly there is a difference between a Class A/B and a Class D amp. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Is there actually a difference in the electrical signal sent to the speaker from a class D amp when compared to a class AB amp?

I am no electrical expert, but I don't believe there is from everything I've read so far. Watts are Watts are Watts, regardless of amp class. Harmonic content may be noticeable between say solid state and tube, but then you can have an A/B class power stage of either of those 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just read an interesting point that most PA/FOH/Live sound installs have been class D powered for quite some time now, and no one complains that they are lacking vs heavy transistor amps. 🤷🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I am no electrical expert, but I don't believe there is from everything I've read so far. Watts are Watts are Watts, regardless of amp class. Harmonic content may be noticeable between say solid state and tube, but then you can have an A/B class power stage of either of those 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just read an interesting point that most PA/FOH/Live sound installs have been class D powered for quite some time now, and no one complains that they are lacking vs heavy transistor amps. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wonder if the difference in heft (apologies for introducing the "H word") that several bassists hear is down to high pass filtering used in more modern amplifier designs? Maybe old designs didn't have any HPF implemented so produced a big fat output but ran out of headroom sooner? Newer designs might be able to get louder but at the expense of big, deep low end? I realise speakers actually make the sound but hope you know what I mean. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I wonder if the difference in heft (apologies for introducing the "H word") that several bassists hear is down to high pass filtering used in more modern amplifier designs? Maybe old designs didn't have any HPF implemented so produced a big fat output but ran out of headroom sooner? Newer designs might be able to get louder but at the expense of big, deep low end? I realise speakers actually make the sound but hope you know what I mean. 

That's a big part of the problem here isn't it, there's so many variables at play that make up the 'sound' we all hear, including the fact that we likely all hear things slightly differently! 

I can't find anything scientific that says a class A/B power amp should sound any different to a Class D poweramp, assuming all other things are equal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Yes, so many variables.

There are Mesa amps I like (Walkabout, Pulse).

There are Class D amps I like (GK Fusion, Legacy).

Mesa Subway, I did not like, I tried 2 as I had a niggling thought the first was faulty.  Not the case, the best way I can describe in a band setting is gutless.  I have approx 30 years of gigging experience and know how to eq a bass sound and a band.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

I 100 per cent agree with this, and said so in the worst amp thread sometime ago.

I found the Subway D800 to be completely gutless, a terrible, terrible bass amp.

Very very surprised to hear that.

I thoroughly enjoy my terrible gutless amp :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Very very surprised to hear that.

I thoroughly enjoy my terrible gutless amp :D

As an old boss of mine used to say, one man's Coq au Vin is another man's chicken in a basket! 😂

Straying slightly off topic. I had thought that used Little Marks were kind of the cheaper bargain end of the amp world having bought mine secondhand off Facebook marketplace only 10 minutes drive from me. So, I’ve been looking out for another head as a backup. But what I’m thinking now is that my setup was an anomaly, since I can’t find anything close to what I paid.

Full disclosure, I bought my 2012 LM3 (Class AB), with a Traveller 102P cab with fitted cover, speakon cable and mains lead for £420. I’m now seeing that people are asking upwards of £350 just for the LM3s.

Was mine a complete bargain, or are other people asking too much?

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Straying slightly off topic. I had thought that used Little Marks were kind of the cheaper bargain end of the amp world having bought mine secondhand off Facebook marketplace only 10 minutes drive from me. So, I’ve been looking out for another head as a backup. But what I’m thinking now is that my setup was an anomaly, since I can’t find anything close to what I paid.

Full disclosure, I bought my 2012 LM3 (Class AB), with a Traveller 102P cab with fitted cover, speakon cable and mains lead for £420. I’m now seeing that people are asking upwards of £350 just for the LM3s.

Rob

I think some people are asking too much if I'm honest, but you're right the prices vary wildly! There are bargains to be had out there though, you just have to keep looking. 😊

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

I think that a 10 year old LM3 should be around £200 to £250 depending on the condition. The cab about the same, so you definitely got an excellent deal but not stupidly so.

It makes me smile when I see the ridiculous prices chancers try for on ebay.

First option is to place a wanted thread on Basschat. 

Edited by Sparky Mark