Why become a member? ×

Popping and banging from bass

Jakester

Really odd one, this. I’ve just done a couple of gigs over the last few days, and every now and then there’d be a big ‘bang’ or ‘pop’ through the amp.

It’s not the lead (tried three and it does it with all) and I’m fairly sure it‘s not the amp, as I didn’t ever experienced it with a different bass - the only thing that has changed is I’m using a new-to-me bass.

It’s a Lakland Skyline 55-02. There isn‘t any drop in signal when it happens - there’s no cutting out or buzzing which would suggest a dodgy jack connection - and it doesn’t seem related to the plug moving, though I have noticed it occurring more if I shift position when seated, for example.

Despite the lack of signal cutting out or buzzing, could it still be a jack problem? Anything else to watch out for?

Edited by Jakester

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Maybe the bass has a momentary short/break somewhere between pickup and jack? 

Thanks - any idea how I’d go about identifying whether or not that is the case? Or better off just taking to someone who knows what they’re doing?

It's not guaranteed to be...but it is usually the jack socket.  If it is on the edge of not OK, then it may well immediately reconnect but the momentary break would have the same effect as if you pulled the lead out with the volumes up - a loud pop.  

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Possibly a daft suggestion but: if the pole pieces are exposed it’s not the string contacting the magnet is it? After years of Bart humbuckers my first exposed pole pieces bucker caused that. Well, my cr@p technique caused it, really…

Not daft at all, yep, I’ve definitely experienced that in the past, but this one has covers over the poles so not that on this occasion - thanks though. 

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It's not guaranteed to be...but it is usually the jack socket.  If it is on the edge of not OK, then it may well immediately reconnect but the momentary break would have the same effect as if you pulled the lead out with the volumes up - a loud pop.  

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Check the battery compartment and ensure the terminals make good contact. I've had something like what you describe with some battery boxes when the contact was not good.

Thanks both. @Andyjr1515 that sounds about right - the sort of sound you get when someone unplugs a live mic when the PA is still switched on. 

Hopefully @mcnach it could be only that, but past experience suggests not. 

I know it’s one of the parts of a bass most exposed to wear and tear, but every active bass I’ve ever had I’ve had to replace the jack shortly after getting it. Never had to do it with a passive bass…

Ah ok. I’ll vote battery as well then - as anyone who’s owned a ‘Ray will attest not all batteries are *exactly* the same size, I had bad contacts on mine (it’s a Ray thing sometimes it seems!) - maybe similar here? Intermittent faults suck. 

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 3

Just now, moley6knipe said:

Ah ok. I’ll vote battery as well then - as anyone who’s owned a ‘Ray will attest not all batteries are *exactly* the same size, I had bad contacts on mine, maybe similar here? Intermittent faults suck. 

Could be. I feel a bit bad as I only really noticed it at this weekend’s gigs - on a full stage with full outdoor PA rig sporting about eight subs - so it’s a wonder each bang and pop didn’t smash some windows over the road!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Ah ok. I’ll vote battery as well then - as anyone who’s owned a ‘Ray will attest not all batteries are *exactly* the same size, I had bad contacts on mine (it’s a Ray thing sometimes it seems!) - maybe similar here? Intermittent faults suck. 

Ha! Spot on: first bass I had that issue with was a Stingray. I ended replacing the battery box for an identical one... and it's started to misbehave again after a few years. I bend the terminals so that they make better contact and it's good for several months, but once it starts misbehaving it'll continue. I'm going to install one with a clip-on type connector next.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2022 at 19:26, mcnach said:

Ha! Spot on: first bass I had that issue with was a Stingray. I ended replacing the battery box for an identical one... and it's started to misbehave again after a few years. I bend the terminals so that they make better contact and it's good for several months, but once it starts misbehaving it'll continue. I'm going to install one with a clip-on type connector next.

Finally had the chance to get it out and take a look - it *seems* like there's no contact issue - the contacts are strongly sprung and the battery seems fairly tightly held in place - no wiggling or movement at all. I'll drop the bass in to the local shop for them to take a look at at the weekend! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...