Why become a member? ×

Just how wild are we?

lownote

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Even though I'm looking for a new band/gig/deps, I'm steering away from the Classic/Dad Rock stuff, as the market for it is dwindling...which is as it should be; the pubs (and clubs, to an extent, tho I'm meaning social clubs rather than night clubs, obv) aren't full of sixty-somethings, and even though they're not exactly full of teenagers and twenty-somethings, it's a new audience.

Play stuff from the 60’s to now and you’ll get work. 
Loads of youngsters take up the bass wanting to play some form of heavy metal, doom whatever and similar because a bass player they saw on YouTube looked so “sick”. 
God knows where they think the gigs will be. 

There are some songs which remain timeless, some of which go back to the 60s, tho a lot of them are known by Da Kidz because of covers by more recent artists, but Dad Rock isn't a complimentary description for a reason.

There's a sparse few venues round here which put on Classic Rock bands, but maybe I've been spoiled by playing in a band that played all sorts of music to very good receptions; lots of singing and dancing - I've also played up until a couple of years ago in a Classic Rock band, and the gig audience were blokes even older than me just sitting there or standing at the bar with folded arms. I've had a go at forming a band with a good mate of mine, but it stuttered at the first hurdle when he didn't want to playing anything recorded after about 1985...he hasn't been out there in a band in a while...

It can be hard to adjust your clock/calendar, when even Foo Fighters stuff goes back more than 25 years these days...

I've just checked, and one of the songs which always goes down well in the noisier bits of the set is Smells Like Teen Spirit, which is firmly post-rock, and that's 31 years old...

Edited by Muzz