Why become a member? ×

First person to see will buy…

Burns-bass

Does this mean:

First person to see will buy (because it’s so good)

- or -

First person to see will buy (because you have no choice!!!)

Any other good ones from adverts?

Also, I still have no idea what WHY means in an advert.

Edited by Burns-bass

7 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Ahh. Is it a northern thing? I’d understand WHYG (what have you got), but WHY was always a mystery!

I’ve never thought, it may well be? It always seems a bit desperate to me, as if you’re willing

to trade for anything just to get rid! 

I get fed up with adverts that don’t offer any info - ‘ if you’re looking at this then you’ll know

how good they are’ / ‘ plenty of info on the net’ etc etc. Also those people who can’t take a 

clear photograph or even be bothered with details on condition and even make and model.

With selling cars, the old ‘one lady owner’ thing also used to bug me, but fortunately rarely seen

these days. 

I recently looked at a motorbike advertised as "first to see will buy". What it should have said is "if you are blessed with the gift of sight there's no way you'll buy this ropey old dog"

It was very tatty, needed new tyres, wouldn't idle properly and was over priced by about £1200 for its actual condition 

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

"If you know, you know." This manages to be meaningless, elitist and patronising in one enormous slam dunk of stupidity.

A common one in adverts for very average 90's cars that should have been scrapped years ago. 

17 minutes ago, rushbo said:

"If you know, you know." This manages to be meaningless, elitist and patronising in one enormous slam dunk of stupidity.

I hate that phrase with an absolute passion.

And everyone that uses it.

Edited by mr4stringz
Additional anger
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, alyctes said:

All of that sh!te about L00K!!!! and suchlike attempts to cheat.  I won't deal with people who do that under any circumstances.

Or on ebay there's the ones who list the things it isn't so it comes up in searches for other stuff

For example

"Cheap donkey Amazon 3 string bass Not Fender Sandberg Fodera Gibson Dingwall"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

'Vintage' now seems to be applied to anything that's more than about 5 minutes old.

'Rare' is often used correctly, in that the item for sale may be thin-on-the-ground and therefore hard to find but this doesn't mean that it's any good or sought-after - in fact, it's usually some right old tat that's being punted.

Edited by KevL
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

As someone with dairy intolerance, “plays like butter” isn’t a selling point. 

As someone who suffers from w@nker intolerance, I have a similar reaction to that phrase

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I tink it's about time this thread was introduced to the phrase "found this in my uncle's loft, don't know anything about basses but I think it's a Fender".

Third photo clearly shows a TescoValueBass logo on the headstock. 

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Japanese lawsuit bass/guitar. This apparently makes it great, rare and valuable.

That always irritates me. 

If it isn't an Ibanez with a Gibson 'Open Book' headstock then I'm not listening. 

If it is an Ibanez with a Gibson 'Open book' headstock then I'm still not listening.

There was no actual lawsuit!

HDj25nN.jpeg

... and breathe. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1