Why become a member? ×

Spinal Tap II

Eldon Tyrell

Just saw this article

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/12/this-is-spinal-tap-sequel 

"Spinal Tap II will see Rob Reiner return as both film-maker on and off the screen along with Michael McKean, Harry Shearer and Christopher Guest.

The film will be released in 2024 on the 1984 original’s 40th anniversary."

My response to the announcement is a bit lukewarm. Great to see them back in action but I am also a bit concerned that it won't be as good as the original. Let's see. 

000618-Spinal-Tap-Big-Bottom-Saturday-Night-Live-1984.jpg.ff16e9704fbe7b9436170c2f42836d57.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Karloff said:

Hmm yer. 

Why now would be my question. 

"The film will be released in 2024 on the 1984 original’s 40th anniversary."

They missed the 10th, 20th, 25th and 30th anniversaries and may not expect to be all around for the 50th anniversary!

From the same Guardian article: 

"Earlier this month saw the fictional band’s drummer Ric Parnell, who later toured with them in real life, die at the age of 70. “Nobody hit the drums harder than Ric,” McKean wrote on a GoFundMe page to help pay expenses associated with his death."

Yes. It could be a great chance to poke fun at modern [band] cliches as well as the current industry and such. No old material. Although it could be funny if they referenced the original here and there. There is still a lot of cliches from the original that are still relevant and hold up today 😀

OR

They could do the whole ‘old men out of touch’ approach to the film. Which could give way to lots of new material. Music via the internet these days and such 😀

4 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

Bad timing that the drummer passed away a few weeks ago though.

I do not mean to make light of the dead, but this is incredibly apt, given that a running theme within the band is that their drummers keep dying! 😆

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Their other efforts together (e.g. A Mighty Wind, Best In Show, etc) have been very funny. They have actually gigged a lot in the last 40 years, even at Wembley Stadium, so they should have a wealth of personal experience to draw on now, as well as anecdotal. Smalls's's' solo album was entertaining, too. Fran Drescher is still doing it for me, too. I'm lukewarm optimistic.

• Like 2

Spinal tap story, based around alternative band The Fall.

The Fall's eccentric leader Mark E Smith used to play Spinal Tap movie a lot on the tour bus, which meant the rest of the band were forced to watch.

One night bassist Steve Hanley played the main riff to a Spinal Tap song as a soundcheck. Mark E Smith said something like "That's good, save it for the next album". Steve assumed he was joking, and really recognised the riff as Spinal Tap.

However, come the time to make the album Smith insisted that the riff was used as the basis of a song to the consternation of the rest of the band.

(Spinal Tap "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" > The Fall "Athlete Cured")

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Is there a rock/pop musician alive that hasn't uttered, at some point, a variation on the words "This is soooo Spinal Tap"?

Probably not. There are a lot of ST fans out there, including at the BBC. The iplayer's volume control goes to 11.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Is there a rock/pop musician alive that hasn't uttered, at some point, a variation on the words "This is soooo Spinal Tap"?

Are there any bands out there who can't relate to more or less every calamity that befalls Spinal Tap at some point in their musical careers?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ubit said:

Are there any bands out there who can't relate to more or less every calamity that befalls Spinal Tap at some point in their musical careers?

Absolutely!

As great as TI Spinal Tap is - real life has a way of of creating more bizarre and more ludicrous situations, kind of out-Spinalling Spinal🤘

• Haha 1

Cautiously optimistic - I really hope they go for the "old men reforming the band" line, such a rich varicose vein to be mined there. Haven't watched the original in years, so will have to do so again. 🤘

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1