Why become a member? ×

Overseas gig, Amsterdam next week!

uk_lefty

No real reason to post other than I'm very excited about this opportunity. I joined a band just before Christmas who have a linkup with a bar in Amsterdam that they e played in before. They couldn't do it through covid but now we are booked in for a monster four hour set on Fri 20th May. We are well rehearsed, well prepared and ready to go! Really looking forward to it. Have never been to the Netherlands at all so to go there for a gig is a bit surreal.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Excellent, have a great time, and a tip which we sadly found out too late is that the public transport goes direct from the airport to the city itself at a fraction of the cost of taxis.

Isn't it always the way... If you can decipher the timetables and where to go! We are going by Eurostar, the other lads have done this before so I'm relying on them to help get me around.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

You’ll have a wonderful time! Amazing city and people. Someone will do a cliche about Amsterdam, sex and drugs but there’s loads more than that there!

Yeah I feel a bit bad going away without the family but do want to get a good look around. Thankfully the rest of the band aren't the "waaaaaayyyyy lads lads lads!" Spend all day and night drinking types so I expect to see more than just a few pubs. 

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Brilliant!! 

Full road trip stories when you get back. It's the law.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

Am thinking of sticking some stuff up on Instagram about it if I have time, can be bothered and don't look a complete t!t doing so. I am one of the most boring people on Instagram, but if you like pictures of left handed bass guitars you're welcome to check it out: @rr_on_bass

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I raised this and one of the lads googled it, for small one offs there is no visa requirement. 

Really?  We've gone through all these stringent negotiations and still haven't sorted it out re Ireland but there's a lax attitude to earning money et al on an ad hoc basis?  Sorry, I should say that isn't a dig at you, I am just genuinely surprised that you can just rock up and play these days... now if you could just slip this bass that I've seen for sale in your van!  ;)

Enjoy.  I went over with a band 25 years ago on a self promoted tour and it was an experience that still brings back smiles and memories... rose tinted glasses, as kipping on floors wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  :)   

22 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Really?  We've gone through all these stringent negotiations and still haven't sorted it out re Ireland but there's a lax attitude to earning money et al on an ad hoc basis?  Sorry, I should say that isn't a dig at you, I am just genuinely surprised that you can just rock up and play these days... now if you could just slip this bass that I've seen for sale in your van! 

This news is what we are relying on, also we are not earning from it. Understand it's not a dig, the topic is a minefield and one I've been wary of ever since it was first mentioned.

Going by Eurostar I'm afraid so all luggage space is allocated! 

IMG-20220301-WA0003.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting this.  For the first time in 5 years with the current band we've just been asked to do a small set of pub gigs in France.  We refused on the basis of the, what we believed, higher level of bureaucracy etc.  Then again, my passport lapsed over lockdown and I still haven't bothered to get a fresh one......

Awesome, enjoy the experience! Amsterdam is a beautiful city, and tourism isn't back at pre-covid peak levels yet so you can actually see all the pretty stuff behind the crowds xD

What venue are you playing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

Interesting this.  For the first time in 5 years with the current band we've just been asked to do a small set of pub gigs in France.  We refused on the basis of the, what we believed, higher level of bureaucracy etc.  Then again, my passport lapsed over lockdown and I still haven't bothered to get a fresh one......

If you’re taking the equivalent (or actual) van load of equipment then the export/ import requirements have to be dealt with going through the border (used to be - pre 1990s - a carnet - listing all the items on a form so the customs could look at it if they wanted to, to see if you were carrying any ‘additional’ undeclared items 🥴 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

If you’re taking the equivalent (or actual) van load of equipment then the export/ import requirements have to be dealt with going through the border (used to be - pre 1990s - a carnet - listing all the items on a form so the customs could look at it if they wanted to, to see if you were carrying any ‘additional’ undeclared items 🥴 

That's what I thought and would definitely be the case for us.  Looks like our decision to decline on the basis of too much of a hassle was the right call.

• 2 weeks later...

I got back in Sunday after a whirlwind two days away for this gig. What an experience!! Left home at 5am Friday and arrived in Amsterdam early afternoon. Taking guitars and cymbals on the Eurostar was so easy, far better than flying IMO. We arrived, had some food and a few drinks and eventually got ready for the gig. 

We walked into the venue, which was packed, and there was a band on stage (they do two bands each night Thursday to Sunday I think) and they were good. A countryish band with great backing vocals. The crowd enjoyed it.... We are nothing like that. After a v quick setup we were on. We spread out our set into four parts to fit the running order and to manage the churn of audience as people go bar to bar. Each of the four forty five min sets was a mini whole gig setlist with a "big one" at the end. We moved the order around a bit and played for over an hour in the first set to minimise breaks. My hands felt like sausages and I fluffed a few lines here and there but no clangers in the first forty odd mins. The place was full and the crowd were energetic, singing and dancing.

We powered through and the place was heaving. In the second set I can't remember which song started it but bouncing around turned to gentle shoving and then a sort of mosh pit formed. A few songs later and I saw something I didn't like one bit, a lady was shoved by the back of her head, and stopped playing and had to say something over the mic. The band continued and I joined back in a few bars later. We gave a bit of a warning out on behaviour and shoving people who probably don't want to be shoved about. That sorted things and we continued. The energy in the place was amazing, loads of people genuinely there for the live music and bouncing around, singing along to every song. 

Overall it was an incredible experience. I never thought I'd end up doing something like this. Playing pubs can be great fun, but playing full music venues in a foreign capital city was just something else! The staff and the soundman loved the set, I think we will be going back!

• Like 8

On 13/05/2022 at 16:44, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

Have a great time! My lot The Achievers just got back from a few shows over in the Netherlands last weekend, and it was fantastic. The Dutch hospitality is amazing. 

Happy to help if you've got any questions on touring / carnet - shoot me a message and I'll rack my brains! 

It would be seriously helpful if you could jot down the salient points. What paperwork did you need/what checks were carried out/how long did it all take/what sort of cost.

I expect many of us would be very grateful.