Why become a member? ×

Fan fret/Multi Scale

gunnermoog

1 minute ago, gunnermoog said:

So people who play them don't claim less problems with trigger finger or other problems then?

I don't think I've read any comments anywhere from trigger finger sufferers for a fan fret.

On a FF the stretches for the low notes are longer so if that is an issue a long or extra long scale FF won't the the right choice but a medium scale might be like the Ibanez EHB1005SMS medium scale.

But I think you'd really have to try one. It might be that a traditional medium or short scale is a better choice.

• Like 2

They're not really better or worse, as long as you play with decent technique and have relaxed hands. If you like to let your thumb creep round the back of the neck or have tense hands, you might mind the longer stretches on the lower strings uncomfortable. The best thing to do would be to try one really.

However, if you're thinking of buying one because it may potentially alleviate some issues you've been experiencing, then I'd suggest that addressing your technique would be a better plan. If your technique is causing you issues, they will probably follow you to any bass you play.

• Like 3

I had a Dingwall NG2, which was an excellent bass. The only drawback for me was that it made it difficult to hold certain chord shapes further up the neck. I was still playing standard basses too at the time, so I may or may not have got used to it in time with perseverance.  As it was, I sold it on to a splendid chap on here, as it was a five string, and I was no longer needing a 5er. Had it been a 4 string, I would have kept it. 

• Like 1

I have an Ibanez EHB1505 33-35 scale and I’d say Yes, I think it helps. This is because it encourages better technique and the position of the wrist is more natural. Also the stretch on the higher strings is reduced.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gunnermoog said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but are the ergonomics of Fan fret/Multi Scale easier on the fingers and wrist than traditional basses?

Most FFs seem to be 35+ inch scale so mine is not the most ergonomic on the wrists. I would much sooner have 34 inch parallel frets.

• Thanks 1

I remember when the Dingwalls came out a good few years ago, and thought it was very weird indeed and not for me. However...

Having seen Lee Sklar in action on his (on YouTube), and the sound and tone he gets out of his Dingwall's, I wouldn't mind giving one a try. They've definitely grown on me, and the only thing I've seen about them being difficult to play is adjusting your picking technique to even the tone the fanned frets produce at certain points? (playing to the angle of the pickups).

• Thanks 1

I tried one at The Guitar Show last weekend (Cort, I think, so not exactly super premium) and found it surprisingly comfortable straight away. I couldn't tell you whether the change in ergonomics would be beneficial in the long run but I got the impression from a quick test that the fanned frets don't make them any less playable. It took longer for me to get used to how it looked under my hands rather than how it actually felt.

• Thanks 1

Definitely worth a try. However as has been said, neck profile, nut width, string spacing at the bridge etc can have a bigger effect on playing comfort than whether the bass is multi scale or not. For me, it took a couple of minutes to get used to fanned frets - I switch between fanned and non fanned basses regularly without issue. Also, my Dingwall Super PJ5 with a 35" scale low B feels like a noticeably shorter scale instrument than my Xotic 5 string jazz basses with a 34" scale across all strings. There's much more to playing comfort than just the scale length of the strings themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1