Why become a member? ×

House bands, backing groups that went on to do alright for themselves

44 minutes ago, Dankology said:

I may be wrong but I think Fun Loving Criminals started as the sort of B team band in a bar they all worked in.

No you’re right, I saw this mentioned on the story of Top of The Pops 1997, was rather surprised to be honest

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I was just thinking of them.  Spooky :) 

I did not think ARS was that popular on this side of the pond....saw them live once in the Midwestern US. Paul Goddard was the real deal...played a Rick, I think....

• Like 1

Just now, dclaassen said:

I did not think ARS was that popular on this side of the pond....saw them live once in the Midwestern US. Paul Goddard was the real deal...played a Rick, I think....

They're not....

Doesn't stop them being brilliant though.... and yes, Paul Goddard (RIP) was a monster.... and a lovely guy (from my limited correspondence with him)!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cetera said:

They're not....

Doesn't stop them being brilliant though.... and yes, Paul Goddard (RIP) was a monster.... and a lovely guy (from my limited correspondence with him)!

I'd love to do "Champagne Jam" and "Spooky" with the group I am currently in, but I don't think they would buy it. Funny how my stateside experiences are different....I suggested some Seger, and was asked who that was......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

seem to remember a story about Bruce Springsteen and his band, E Street Band? being the pickup band for Chuck Berry

Bruce’s band backed Chuck before the he found fame with the E Street Band I believe.

Bruce told the story that his band were waiting backstage to meet Chuck before they

performed but it didn’t happen. Bruce tentatively knocked on Chuck’s dressing room door with minutes to

spare before they were due to go onstage, and asked Chuck what they were going to play.

To which Chuck replied ‘ well son, tonight we’re going to play some Chuck Berry songs’. 

Lots of famous bands have backed Chuck over the years, both live and in the studio.

On his London Sessions’ album from the early 70’s for example, the studio tracks featured Kenney

Jones and Ian McLagan from The Faces, whilst the live tracks ( including the notorious ‘My ding a ling’)

featured Onnie McIntyre and Robbie McIntosh from the Average White Band. 

6 hours ago, Ashweb said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the mighty Jasper Carrot. On his No.1 hit 'Funky Moped' the backing band would go on to be ELO... who did OK for themselves... 🙂 

Bev Bevan (already part of ELO) played drums on ‘Funky Moped’ as he was an old school friend of Jasper Carrot. I think he was the only ELO band member to play on it, although maybe Jeff Lynne produced it IIRC.

29 minutes ago, casapete said:

Bev Bevan (already part of ELO) played drums on ‘Funky Moped’ as he was an old school friend of Jasper Carrot. I think he was the only ELO band member to play on it, although maybe Jeff Lynne produced it IIRC.

Have to admit that the song is a wayback memory that I managed to purge. Great backing players notwithstanding.

This and Max Boyce were my idea of hell.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Have to admit that the song is a wayback memory that I managed to purge. Great backing players notwithstanding.

This and Max Boyce were my idea of hell.

Yup, me too. Didn’t find either of them funny, and the B side of funky Moped ‘Magic Roundabout’ was even 

more excruciating. ‘Of the time’ maybe, but best forgotten.

9 minutes ago, casapete said:

Yup, me too. Didn’t find either of them funny, and the B side of funky Moped ‘Magic Roundabout’ was even 

more excruciating. ‘Of the time’ maybe, but best forgotten.

I couldn't remember the Magic Roundabout. Just Youtubed and listened.

I tend to agree.

8 hours ago, Ashweb said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the mighty Jasper Carrot. On his No.1 hit 'Funky Moped' the backing band would go on to be ELO... who did OK for themselves... 🙂 

Hardly 'went on' as ELO were formed five years before Funky Moped... plus ELO came from The Move, a very successful band.

• Like 1