Why become a member? ×

Entwistle sizes and cover swapsies

fleabag

Does anyone have Entwistle JBXN jazz pickups in their bass , and has anyone changed the covers ?

Firstly, I was thinking of dumping a pair of JBXN's in a bass, but wondered if they just dropped in ?  I know they're a tad deeper than regular ole JB pickups, but my concern

is mainly with the lengths and the widest part of the screw mount distance front to back.

The other thing is covers.  A few times in the distant past, iv'e changed covers for some bought on Ebay or whatever, and the poles never seem to line up with the replacement covers.

If anyone has changed theirs,  did your JBXN pole pieces line up ok with the holes in the new covers ?

If you can help, lovely

untitled.JPG.1afdad4dd9813f4ccdeec05273fd9ba3.JPG

Edited by fleabag

As far as I know, they're standard size. I fitted a PJ set into my Jag SS years ago. The depth was the only issue. 

Don't know about replacement cover pole placement though. Could buy some covers without holes, use some double sided tape to stick the Entwhistle ones on like a mirror image and drill holes in the new covers?

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 22:22, kodiakblair said:

Neck is 92 mm long , bridge is 95 mm. Screw mounts front to back 29.5 mm.

This is useful, have been thinking of giving these a try, looking at the dimensions I might end up just swapping out the bridge pickup for these, don't think the neck pickup route will be deep enough

3 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

don't think the neck pickup route will be deep enough

Generally a non-issue.

Standard depth for pickup cavity is 3/8" or 19mm, that allows for the pickup to be partially sunk, cable and foam or springs.

Fender alnico jazz pickups are 19mm high , EMG are 22.9mm including the connector. Entwistle JBXN are 25mm high including the bar magnets.

Pickup foam comes in 2 thicknesses 13 or 18 mm. Way too thick for use with Entwistle so it's screws and springs.

I have a "P" version of these. Not yet fitted to a bass. But they are intended for a Westone Thunder bass, 

They are too big for the cutout but resolved by removing the Entwistle covers and replacing with the covers from original covers all is good mechanically in that respect.

Depth remains an issue - that's why not yet fitted.

22 minutes ago, rmorris said:

Depth remains an issue - that's why not yet fitted.

Put a dot of white paint on the end of the pole pieces then drop the pickup in the cavity.

Remove the pickup and drill a hole in the areas marked by the paint. This allows the poles to drop lower but leaves the cavity depth untouched.

Should you sell the bass ; copper tape will hide any evidence of the holes 👍

• Like 1