Why become a member? ×

80’s Japan Fender P - genuine??

Shonks

• Shonks changed the title to 80’s Japan Fender P - genuine??

The standards usually had smaller machinehead plates. It looks like this one has had 70s style machineheads fitted at some stage.

All the Japanese Fenders I've owned, over the years (I still have a Jazz and a Precision), have been excellent.

Looks genuine to me. I owned a few 80s MIJ and 90s CIJ / MIJ basses over the years - all EXCELLENT! As a point of interest, the serial number and Made / Crafted references moved around a bit over the years (sometimes on the neck heel, sometimes on the headstock etc). 

Ok I’ve just seen a better pic of the headstock. 
the serial is under the logo. It’s E + 6 digits. 
to the right of the logo it say Made in Japan. 
the neck plate has the word FENDER on the upper edge. Looked genuine. 
Does that sound right to you guys?

is the colour ‘Lake Placid Blue’ it’s slightly metallic 

thanks

13 minutes ago, Shonks said:

Ok I’ve just seen a better pic of the headstock. 
the serial is under the logo. It’s E + 6 digits. 
to the right of the logo it say Made in Japan. 
the neck plate has the word FENDER on the upper edge. Looked genuine. 
Does that sound right to you guys?

is the colour ‘Lake Placid Blue’ it’s slightly metallic 

thanks

Yep sounds exactly the same as my E serial MIJ Fender P 👍

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Mine had “crafted in Japan” at heel, some also say “made in Japan”

'Made In Japan' indicates manufactured by Fujigen Gakki, 'Crafted' refers to Tokai & Dyna Gakki, mostly late 90s onward. The 'E' prefix serial on this (mid 80s) is correct for Fujigen.

7 hours ago, gjones said:

The standards usually had smaller machinehead plates. It looks like this one has had 70s style machineheads fitted at some stage.

All the Japanese Fenders I've owned, over the years (I still have a Jazz and a Precision), have been excellent.

I think these are original - I don't know MIJ Fenders as well as I could (working on it!) but I've seen this type before. The smaller units are Gotoh GB-1s or GB-10s and very common but not exclusive on 80s MIJ Fenders & Squiers.

This does look like a very tidy mid 80s P.

Edited by Bassassin
Type O.
  • Like 1

Interesting to see another of these as I've been looking and I don't seem to see many come up for sale.

If I do see any of a similar age (84-87 Fujigen) they seem to be reissue models of 50's or 60s precisions with spaghetti logo and the serial number on the neck plate instead. 

I just got the bass and loving it. 
Although it looks blue in the pics in real life it has a green hue to it. 
i think the colour might be aquamarine metallic. I did a Google search and that’s the closest I can find. 
every picture I take doesn’t show the greeness of it, weird. 
i have a sea foam jazz bass which does the same thing actually. 
sounds great , plays great, very happy.  Looks to be all original. The pickup sounds really good, it may be a usa one but I’m not dragging it out to have a look. At least not yet. 
the pots feel substantial and for a 38 year old bass there’s no crackle or anything nasty. 
feels like its about 8.5lbs.  
the rosewood on the neck is lovely and dark. Don’t see that these days. 
the neck pocket is nice and tight too. Adding some pics. 
What do you think is may be worth? 
It has the expected light dings here and there but good overall condition cosmetically. 

91619E2D-6DC5-423B-8F66-AF8F92C0CC19.jpeg

89358953-A717-4EF1-A6F9-DFA8E4BB2F07.jpeg

Edited by Shonks
  • Like 4

Fender Japan has a finish called "Old Lake Placid Blue" (OLP) that also has the greenish hue you're describing - but I don't know if that finish was around already in the 80s! It could just be naturally aged Lake Placid Blue. It has been known to turn quite green with age and exposure to UV light. For example, this 1969 Mustang Bass was once Lake Placid Blue, but now more closely resembles Ocean Turquoise Metallic:

sjfutclzm1vtzukqv3i8.jpg 

19 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Fender Japan has a finish called "Old Lake Placid Blue" (OLP) that also has the greenish hue you're describing - but I don't know if that finish was around already in the 80s! It could just be naturally aged Lake Placid Blue. It has been known to turn quite green with age and exposure to UV light. For example, this 1969 Mustang Bass was once Lake Placid Blue, but now more closely resembles Ocean Turquoise Metallic:

sjfutclzm1vtzukqv3i8.jpg 

Lovely Mustang!

yes, OLP might be the one.